!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Filton TMD...an ongoing saga...  (Read 33691 times)

Offline Skyline2uk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lets preserve at least one HST.....
    • My layout thread, Filton TMD
    • Awards
Re: Filton TMD...an ongoing saga...
« Reply #75 on: September 17, 2012, 09:49:14 pm »
Hmmm...

Thanks for the advice re HF track cleaner. My most recent loco's are Dapol 67 and Farish 60. I will be a bit annoyed if either of those don't like the cleaner.

I am not DCC (I knew that you can't use DCC and HF cleaners), and majority of the fleet is older Farish.

Maybe a circuit to switch it in and out?

Skyline2uk
LNER A3 and A4....check
Deltic.....check
HST set......surely?!

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=4129.msg46795#msg46795

Offline Skyline2uk

• Awards
« Reply #76 on: September 17, 2012, 10:03:52 pm »
Yep, a switch in the circuit is the way to go....

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=4909.msg54350#msg54350

N gauge forum, answers to all!

Skyline2uk
LNER A3 and A4....check
Deltic.....check
HST set......surely?!

Offline Shaun Harvey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22486
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2012, 06:01:52 pm »
Hmmm...

Thanks for the advice re HF track cleaner. My most recent loco's are Dapol 67 and Farish 60. I will be a bit annoyed if either of those don't like the cleaner.

I am not DCC (I knew that you can't use DCC and HF cleaners), and majority of the fleet is older Farish.

Maybe a circuit to switch it in and out?

Skyline2uk

Let me know what you do with the switch,  - which type and how it goes if you give it a go!

Offline Skyline2uk

• Awards
« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2012, 09:52:01 pm »
Holy appalling soldering batman!

Yes I have broken out the iron again and I am desperately trying to produce functioning circuits on Filton TMD. 

As per the last few posts on this thread, I am now not just adding my new HF cleaning into the power feeds, but adding two switches to allow selected sections to use the cleaner or not. This should, hopefully, avoid my Dapol fleet from getting damaged.

All the above is just words though as despite a trip to Maplin today to re-stock on supplies, I am still no good at soldering. It took thirty mins to get into the tin of tip cleaner, in the end I gave up and chain-drilled the lid until I could peel it off.....I kid you not!

Anyway, another two hours later and one of the two DPDT switches in soldered-up with six wires and I have began laying out the wire route on the board. 

Shaun, IF it works, will put the wire-diagram in here (with suitable disclaimer) for all to see.

Skyline2uk
LNER A3 and A4....check
Deltic.....check
HST set......surely?!

Offline Sprintex

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: CLOSED
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: September 22, 2012, 12:10:58 am »
. . . I am still no good at soldering. It took thirty mins to get into the tin of tip cleaner, in the end I gave up and chain-drilled the lid until I could peel it off.....I kid you not!

From looking at that picture maybe you should change your choice of drink  :D

Paul

Offline Gordini5

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: September 22, 2012, 08:56:40 am »
Holy appalling soldering batman!

Yes I have broken out the iron again and I am desperately trying to produce functioning circuits on Filton TMD. 

As per the last few posts on this thread, I am now not just adding my new HF cleaning into the power feeds, but adding two switches to allow selected sections to use the cleaner or not. This should, hopefully, avoid my Dapol fleet from getting damaged.

I know what you mean sometimes. Not exactly theraputic is soldering, or wiring up for that matter IMHO. I did the same for my layout as I have 2 peco collets and have not tried to remove the DCC card and hard wire the loco's. Well worth it when it's done though and what a smug smile you have :D.

I also would look at changing your drink. Not good for the eye's :beers:
Anyway, another two hours later and one of the two DPDT switches in soldered-up with six wires and I have began laying out the wire route on the board. 

Shaun, IF it works, will put the wire-diagram in here (with suitable disclaimer) for all to see.

Skyline2uk

Offline Skyline2uk

• Awards
« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2012, 10:31:46 am »
Ahem....

Lighter Fluid....Earn it!

LNER A3 and A4....check
Deltic.....check
HST set......surely?!

Offline Skyline2uk

• Awards
« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2012, 05:54:46 pm »
Just a small post after 4 hours of work....

....and it works!

Well, in terms of running trains, this little white box (my first effort in plasticard) does not bugger up the electrics.

One thing that took me a bit by surprise was that, when I flicked the switch to the HF circuit, the test loco (Farish Dutch Class 33 "Seaking") moved off...and in the opposite direction!

Now, the direction change was just a crossed wire in a screw-terminal. It took a few more moments to realise that just because the HF unit is not getting any power, does not stop current flowing to the track.

Still, moving locomotive on TMD after more than 15 months  :claphappy:. Good old Seaking, probably my most reliable loco and a real bargain.

Next will be a repeat DPDT switch for controller 2 and then power to the HF unit itself.

Oh, and one more positive, all 9 point motors have survived their second house move fully functional.  :bounce:

Skyline2uk
LNER A3 and A4....check
Deltic.....check
HST set......surely?!

Offline Gordini5

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
    • Awards
« Reply #83 on: September 23, 2012, 11:48:07 am »
Glad to hear all gone to plan!!

David

Offline Skyline2uk

• Awards
« Reply #84 on: September 28, 2012, 05:22:43 pm »
Well, its all set up and as the two Poole era 08s will testify, it works. Both controllers, on both cleaning circuits.

I know the wires are a bit of a mess but I can't find my packet of BT style cable fixes.

Still, I am pleased that the system works, but also glad that I read this forum before any Dapol / newer Farish fleet came out of their boxes.

For those who want to use one of these in a similar way to me, and at the request of Shaun H, here is a diagram showing what I did.

ATTENTION: Because of the problems highlighted elsewhere on this forum, and Dapol's official advice, CARE MUST BE TAKEN when using any HF device. THIS CIRCUIT WILL NOT PROTECT DCC CHIPPED LOCOS!

Please be careful (I tested the set up as systematically as I could before any locos were run), I CAN'T BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGE CAUSED!!

READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS (of controllers AND cleaner) BEFORE use.

DO NOT USE HF CLEANERS WITH DCC!

LNER A3 and A4....check
Deltic.....check
HST set......surely?!

Offline Skyline2uk

• Awards
« Reply #85 on: October 01, 2012, 10:10:19 pm »
Running update:

Track cleaning session yesterday and loco wheel cleaning today.

A few faults to correct on the layout (newer, longer loco's fouling platforms, hard standing, perspex edging) and one dodgy point (always has been).

Real scare when my class 60 firstly sat there and did nothing on the "Tidy Track" (after 10 or so others had chugged away happily) and then didn't budge at all on the layout......Then I noticed my new white box of tricks was set at off. Sir Charles then hummed off in a very smooth and slow manner. Relief and satisfaction that the track was clean followed!

Only real disappointment was the discovery of what is very probably the dreaded "split gear" on my "SS Great Britain" class 47. I think BR lines could be getting some custom soon...

Seen here is my 150/2 making is powered debut on platform 3. Runs very well but a bit with a bit of a squeak...

Stay happy

Skyline2uk
LNER A3 and A4....check
Deltic.....check
HST set......surely?!

Offline Skyline2uk

• Awards
Re: Filton TMD...an ongoing saga...Community Service....
« Reply #86 on: October 20, 2012, 06:21:04 pm »
So...

This weekend the local "Mis-fits" have been out in and around Filton and, as part of their community service, repaired the war memorial that was damaged last week to such local outrage....

As you can see, some hoodlum broke off the right hand cross arm.

After an hour of work, I think the little snipes have done a passable job...

....just some light work with a paint brush to blend in the white stone and restore the cross.

Stay appy all

Skyline2uk
LNER A3 and A4....check
Deltic.....check
HST set......surely?!

Offline Skyline2uk

• Awards
« Reply #87 on: October 29, 2012, 09:39:12 pm »
Hello hello, 

Much fiddling, fettling and playing this weekend, and a visit to a local toy fair.

The result of all this is that I have been actually running trains and not just shuttling locos forwards and backwards to test clean track.

This was the first time Sir Charles has had a train to haul and also the first outing for my TTAs. You can also see Filton Parish Council's proposed site for the "Play Train".

The photo below shows both successful track cleaning and final proposed locations for buildings, furniture etc

All of the street and platform furniture is not yet glued in place, the clocks very obviously so! In doing this it became obvious that I was at least two clocks short. I have now ordered a couple more from this nice chap.....

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/WOODEN-RAILWAY-WORKSHOP/Model-Railway-N-Gauge-/_i.html?_fsub=1911842010&_sid=118392720&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

I will be back here and may well furnish the entire station with kit from this shop! I will wait until after Warley (dealer going to be there so I can get some more benches too) just in case I see some stuff there, but I doubt it.

Final development this weekend has been my picking up of some of these little "dust monkey" cleaning pads. I forget where and by who this topic is covered recently on the forum.

I have deployed all four into my wagon fleet. Well, actually only my MEA / MFA's, as they are the two types a wagons that accept the monkeys best.

This is my new cleaning train which will be hauled by either the trusty 33 or (when I clean it enough to make the little so and so work reliably enough!) a class 73.

Well that's enough form me.

Stay appy

Skyline2uk

LNER A3 and A4....check
Deltic.....check
HST set......surely?!

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #88 on: October 29, 2012, 09:47:31 pm »
Nice to see your progress, Skyline :thumbsup:
Don't be tempted like me to play trains instead of making more progress :-[

Offline Skyline2uk

• Awards
« Reply #89 on: October 29, 2012, 10:15:20 pm »
Thanks Nobby....

Theory is that now all the actual modelling is small things that can take place without putting all the stock away again...well, except the construction site, but that is a major project!

Skyline2uk
LNER A3 and A4....check
Deltic.....check
HST set......surely?!

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100%