!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Filton TMD...an ongoing saga...  (Read 33690 times)

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Filton TMD...an ongoing saga...
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2012, 09:52:01 am »
Hi Skyline,
Sorry to hear of your problems, the least of whiich is the colour. The idea seems sound enough. What did you use to secure the Balsa to the baseboard please?

Offline Skyline2uk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lets preserve at least one HST.....
    • My layout thread, Filton TMD
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2012, 05:24:35 pm »
A combination of ordinary white PVA and double sided tape. In fairness the tape is causing the most bother, so hopefully it will be easy enough to lift and re-stick.

Looking at it today though, I think it’s more than salvageable...maybe....

Skyline
LNER A3 and A4....check
Deltic.....check
HST set......surely?!

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=4129.msg46795#msg46795

Offline Fratton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23974
  • 2mm Association Number: 4766
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 05:45:52 pm »
it might be more expensive than normal PVA but try rocket card glue for glueing balsa, it's super strong when dealing with balsa to wood and sets trong, i use it for all my card and small wood projects,,,
Charlie.

Offline Skyline2uk

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2012, 10:38:18 pm »
Thanks for the tip Fratton, where can I get some of that stuff?
LNER A3 and A4....check
Deltic.....check
HST set......surely?!

Offline polo2k

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2012, 10:51:57 pm »
if your glueing to wood, PVA should be perfect, make sure you weight it well and leave it 24 hrs.
It might also be a good idea to make new pieces, the ones that are down may not take well to a second gluing, plus you never know if you've missed a bit till you have to rip it all up cos it wont run.
Cheers
-Ash-

The only way to guarantee failure, is not to try

Offline Skyline2uk

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2012, 09:49:35 pm »
Evening all,

Busy building my “test case” / station shelter for Filton West as well as finishing the red paint attack. The plan is, if my new technique works, I will begin serious planning for the “empty corner” of the layout and the hopefully unique building that will occupy it.

I am happy with the general effect so far, especially as the red benches and re-painted footbridge as it’s nice to have an overall theme.

Not quite ready to show the station shelter yet as, frankly, it could go either way!

So in the meantime here as some more construction photos.

As I mentioned recently on the “happy thread”, Filton TMD has had contributions from many kind-hearted souls who take pity on a poor bloke suffering from an affliction such as n gauging.

Here is the first example, a lovely signal box that was given to me one Christmas by the same guy who loaned me some stock on my previous layout. It’s not exactly modern, but I wanted to include it as it as such a nice job. I have in mind that it might get “the treatment” to age it, maybe even a visit by a local scallywag with a spray can. Not sure at the moment if I have the heart though!

The next shot shows the start of the structural work for the embankment and tunnel at one end of the layout, something I am pleased with as it’s given me no trouble to date!

This is a picture of the test board I used with some spare track and scrap points. This was used to help me hone my (only once use on a cousins 00 project) ballasting skills and to help me choose the colour combination I wanted.

It was at this point I decided that I would, again, push myself further from my initial brief and paint the rails themselves. So out came my spray brush and the resultant effect is best shown here.

Another job that I spent a lot of time thinking about was what to use as a back scene / retaining wall. Scalescenes to the rescue. First section is seen here, and despite the fact that in reality the wall would be truly monstrous in size, I think it suits the layout quite nicely.

So, Filton marches on. Just to end today with a more up to date stock shot. A couple more locos and wagons rakes have been added since this shot (indeed some locos have not yet turned a wheel!) but it gives a flavour of my tastes....

LNER A3 and A4....check
Deltic.....check
HST set......surely?!

Offline OwL

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 15643
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2012, 10:26:38 pm »
Great looking stud of locos and your ballasting looks good too. :thumbsup:

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

Online Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2012, 09:37:33 am »
The layout is coming along very well. :thumbsup:  Nice collection of loco's.

Offline Bikeracer

• N Gauge Society Number: 21763
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2012, 11:48:35 am »
A cyanoacrylate glue such as "Zap" is very good for instant gluing of balsa wood,it also comes in gap filling,slow setting and other varieties.
Plenty of other cyano glues on the market,but over the numerous years I was building model aircraft "Zap" brand was the best I've used.
Sometimes it pays to moisten the balsa,spit on a finger tip works.

Allan
I'm not a complete idiot..some bits are missing.

Offline Skyline2uk

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2012, 07:05:31 pm »
Ello ello...

A quick one on the move tonight, mainly to say thanks for the kind words once more.

Great looking stud of locos and your ballasting looks good too. :thumbsup:

Owl, thanks for that, never been commented on my ballasting before! This was my first ever attempt at n gauge ballesting and I am glad it turned out in a way that I can live with on the layout. Which, at the end of the day, is what its all about.

The layout is coming along very well. :thumbsup:  Nice collection of loco's.

Thanks Tank, its a lot further on that this now, but its worth telling the whole story don't you think?

@Bikeracer...

Thanks for the tip, will look into this :)
LNER A3 and A4....check
Deltic.....check
HST set......surely?!

Offline agwrobession

• N Gauge Society Number: 22544
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2012, 12:41:48 pm »
I second the comments, this is coming along really nicely, and that signal box looks perfect

Offline Skyline2uk

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2012, 07:21:34 pm »
I second the comments, this is coming along really nicely, and that signal box looks perfect

Thanks very much agwrobession...

On we go...

With the ballasting complete (without a single gummed up point ) and everything progressing as I had hoped, I plugged it all in again and had some running trials (aka playing trains ).

In the second photo you see my EWS MEA / MFA rake. Its here I must have a bit of a rant......

....WHAT is with the insides of these wagons?! Why must they be painted in such a jarring colour? I know that many modellers will chose to add loads (as I intend to eventually), but surely Graham Farish realise that we sometimes want to model empty trains? Why make it so essential to paint / weather you wagons when some of us (me very much included) have never taken so much as a brush to our brand new models?
Anyway. Running trials over, and successful, I moved onto the hill / tunnel / scenic break. The basic structure for this was constructed in a couple of hours and I even remembered to paint inside the tunnel to stop plain wood  from peeking out from the supposedly gloomy portal.

Unfortunately I forgot to paint the Peco tunnel mouth before I stuck it down.  This will have to be tackled later on, when I am feeling brave and skilled enough to complete what should have been a very simple job!

Last photo for now shows my solution for the other end of the layout. My second scenic break was to be a small section of road on a fly-over (in this case, a section of the A38). This was constructed, again, using balsa, but recently I have decided to replace the rather crude supports with the miracle of styrene strip and tube.
The results are much finer, though I fear I may have gone too far and made scale supports too weedy for the job! Shall report back on that later....

Skyline.
LNER A3 and A4....check
Deltic.....check
HST set......surely?!

Online Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2012, 11:08:09 pm »
I didn't want to comment about it on the Class 60 thread, but I see you've cracked open a tin of red paint on your fencing and footbridge.  Top marks!  :thumbsup: ;D

Offline Skyline2uk

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2012, 06:29:30 pm »
Thanks muchly Tank :-)

It's a bit of a "spoiler", but the longest stretch of straight track is in the station, and I don't much fancy shoving my new 60 around just a photo.

Got my station shelter to finish (also in NSE red) and the a good long think about "NSE-ing" my Farish Station.

More updates as time permits :-)

Skyline
LNER A3 and A4....check
Deltic.....check
HST set......surely?!

Offline longbridge

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2012, 08:56:11 pm »
Thats a very busy looking layout you are creating there and its coming along great :thumbsup:
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
August Donations
Military Vehicle 3D prints

Price: £6.50