Facebook

Started by Snowwolflair, April 26, 2018, 07:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

austinbob

Quote from: njee20 on April 27, 2018, 03:35:53 PM
Quote from: austinbob on April 27, 2018, 03:10:09 PM
A few weeks ago I would have shared the somewhat sceptical views of NN, njee and Snowwolflair. Having now actually tried Facebook, there are some real advantages for the N gauge modeller.
Namely a much more image rich version of NGF and a number of other rather good N gauge modelling groups.   :P
Indeed I think it may have been Tank and me suggesting you try it a few weeks back, glad you've stuck it out :-)
Indeed you did. You and Tank are largely to blame for my current involvement in Facebook.  :)
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Bob Tidbury

I do agree there is a hell of a lot of garbage on facebook itself , I dont want to see what someone had for breakfast or wether they drink tea or coffee  and suchlike but you do see some interesting things on it .
Please keep both the main Forum   and the facebook version of the Forum going I think they both have good and bad points ,but I want both to continue side by side .
Bob Tidbury

austinbob

Absolutely spot on Bob.   :thumbsup:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

njee20

Don't think there's ever been any suggestion of getting rid of the NGF Facebook page has there? I agree it's different to here, but I like both.

daffy

Seems I might have to join the throng, though I shall be one of the most discerning patrons.

Reason for this apparent volte-face is complex, but includes the fact that much of the communication of family events by children and grandchildren and the wider family group is almost exclusively done via the ubiquitous monster.

With the invention of the internet, which was hailed as a boon to mankind if I remember correctly (it certainly is for many things, but not for a hell of a lot of others), one early casualty of family life was the reduction in the number of phone calls between the various scattered family groups, to be replaced by emails. Soon this began to be mirrored in the number of personal visits, as some family members felt that emails, and their partner, texts, had apparently adequately fulfilled the obligations of family contact. In time it was soon no longer a requirement to go into a shop and select a birthday or Christmas greeting, as you could send one electronically, with no sign of the senders personality upon it, through such wonderful companies as MoonPig. You could also get around the present problem by including an electronic gift card.

Alongside this came the realisation that the sage and honourable old folks were no longer required to help young Jimmy with his homework ("Ring your Grandad, he knows everything!"), as the whole world of knowledge was there to command.

Now there is Facebook to cover all life's needs.

So I better join before all contact with the rest of the world is lost.

Only kidding. Or not.  I haven't made up my mind yet.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

austinbob

Bob Austin

snitchthebudgie

I rely on my wife telling me what the chattering masses are saying on Facebook....  But I might have to give in and join soon. :hmmm:

REGP

I joined to find some relatives in Canada and under tutalege from my daughter it worked.

Despite having joined the NGF "group" I still don't understand how to use it properly, but seem to have acquired quite a few friends ???
Ray

Newportnobby

Quote from: Intercity on April 27, 2018, 03:29:34 PM

Btw, I just had my first cup of coffee for the day <———Isn't that the type of thing Facebook is full of?

Oh, do tell us whether it was decaff or not, how many sugars you had, and whether it was cream or milk and served in a cup or mug!!

Quote from: njee20 on April 27, 2018, 03:35:53 PM

I literally meant that this post is a joke, not that Facebook is. It certainly doesn't belong in "N Gauge Discussion" as it is presently.

I guess that depends how seriously you consider Facebook :D

Lankyman

Like many of you, I avoided Facebook for a long time and just wouldn't entertain it but I finally gave in one day last year when we had my eldest son and his wife round for dinner. During the after dinner conversation we asked if he was intending to do anything to celebrate his forthcoming50th birthday. It turned out he was having a big party and had sent the invitations out on Facebook. When we pointed out the we, his parents who were responsible for his very existence, didn't use Facebook, he then said he was intending to send us a card instead. At that point we gave in and signed up for Facebook. Now we can keep a check on what most of the family are up to but sometimes I wish I couldn't.

I must say that most of what I see is utter drivel but I have managed to make contact with former colleagues and, more importantly, I have made contact with relatives in the USA who I have not seen for many years as well as friends in Australia. It does have some benefits. I have not found anything to do with the N Gauge Forum but then I do prefer this version of the Forum anyway which I can look at any time without being bombarded with adverts and, if I feel I the need to, can put my sixpennorth in knowing that it stays within this community group and doesn't get blasted all round the universe.

Ron
Ron

njee20

The forum page is here. It's private, so no content gets shared with anyone other than those in the group. 

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations