Looking to buy new locos. Help needed.

Started by IkBrunel, March 10, 2018, 10:44:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IkBrunel

Being relatively new to modelling n gauge, after modelling OO for too long, I'm looking at buying some more locos. Could you guys tell me who if anyone makes the best 9fs, Black 5s, a4 and and a3.
Many thanks in advance.
David.

Bealman

For those locos in N, you have Farish and Dapol, and that's about it.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

NinOz

I think who makes and, if more than manufacturer, who makes the best of each of these types (9F, etc) is the meaning of the post.  Not just who makes them.

If anyone makes them then there will always be someone who makes the best.  :)

For availability and manufacturer, a quick internet browse or a visit to online shops (Hattons, Rails and so on) will supply at least who makes what.

"The best" usually involves a lot of discussion and anecdotes.
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

Bealman

Not sure what you're getting at here. Although I think you're suggesting the OP wants a decision between the two for the same model.

I'm talking RTR, not kits or commissioned jobs.

It's Farish or Dapol.

I have two old Minitrix 9Fs, which I am very fond of, and, to be quite honest, forgot about in my reply.

Sorry!

njee20

Yes, but if both Farish and Dapol did an A4, there is a choice. I'm sure the OP knows of both brands, he's seeking recommendation on which to choose between when there is duplication. Seems pretty obvious, as per NinOz's post.

I don't know about anything pre-1990 however!

Bealman

njee20

No, you gave a curt reply which was no help.

If only one manufacturer makes each then its moot, but sure there's duplication, even where it's an old and new model, so which would you recommend?

Bealman

I think we're going into too much detail here, so how about we let the OP clarify what is meant before flying off into irrelevant arguments.

austinbob

Yes - really depends on what 'best' means - better detail, better running, reliability, less noise etc.
9F there is Minitrix and Dapol - Dapol looks much more like a 9F but has reliability issues
Black 5 and A3 has to be Farish IMHO
A4 choose between Dapol and Farish - both good IMHO

Best bet is for OP to find a mate(s) who have these locos and judge for themselves.
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

njee20

It's not irrelevant arguments, the OP asked a very clear question, you've not answered it and then got in a hump when told you've not answered it!

Like I say, I don't model steam, but my answers would be:

Dapol A4
Dapol 9F
Not sure on the A3 as I believe both brands have a recent release (as well as a much older Farish release), and as above 'best' is hugely subjective.

Also not sure which brand makes a Black 5, suspect it's both.

emjaybee

Quote from: njee20 on March 11, 2018, 08:22:23 AM
It's not irrelevant arguments, the OP asked a very clear question, you've not answered it and then got in a hump when told you've not answered it!

Dapol A4
Dapol 9F
Not sure on the A3 as I believe both brands have a recent release (as well as a much older Farish release), and as above 'best' is hugely subjective.

I think only Farish do Black 5's. I have two of them.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Bealman

Quote from: njee20 on March 11, 2018, 08:22:23 AM

Dapol A4
Dapol 9F

Who's getting the hump here? Not me, buddy!   :thumbsup:

d-a-n

9F - Dapol one is well detailed, the Minitrix version (no longer in production) is mechanically simpler, reliable but slightly ill-proportioned and less detailed by comparison.
A3 - Dapol one is better detailed. The 'old' Graham Farish version made in Poole (no longer in production) is mechanically simpler, reliable but ill-proportioned by comparison.
On a side note, 'new' Graham Farish makes lovely A1 and A2 locos which are worth checking out.
A4 - Dapol one is better detailed. The 'old' Graham Farish version made in Poole (no longer in production) is mechanically simpler, reliable but ill-proportioned by comparison.
Black Five  - Graham Farish have had these in the collection for a long time, there is an original, basic one which has 'pizza cutter' wheels and a post 2010 version which is pretty nice, although the front bogie looks basic - I expect there's a brass etch to replace it somewhere...

The dividing line is whether you want a loco which is easy to add DCC to (e.g the Dapol or new Farish ones.) The newer locos come with NEM pocket couplings which may or may not be important, these can be added to older locos with a Dapol kit.

That's all I know. I expect someone here might be able to add more info or prove me wrong somehow...

NinOz

Geez, take a deep breath guys.  Not that important!

Yes emjaybee, I think that only Farish made a Black 5, got 6 myself but none from Dapol.
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

austinbob

Quote from: d-a-n on March 11, 2018, 08:36:53 AM
9F - Dapol one is well detailed, the Minitrix version (no longer in production) is mechanically simpler, reliable but slightly ill-proportioned and less detailed by comparison.
A3 - Dapol one is better detailed. The 'old' Graham Farish version made in Poole (no longer in production) is mechanically simpler, reliable but ill-proportioned by comparison.
On a side note, 'new' Graham Farish makes lovely A1 and A2 locos which are worth checking out.
A4 - Dapol one is better detailed. The 'old' Graham Farish version made in Poole (no longer in production) is mechanically simpler, reliable but ill-proportioned by comparison.
Black Five  - Graham Farish have had these in the collection for a long time, there is an original, basic one which has 'pizza cutter' wheels and a post 2010 version which is pretty nice, although the front bogie looks basic - I expect there's a brass etch to replace it somewhere...

The dividing line is whether you want a loco which is easy to add DCC to (e.g the Dapol or new Farish ones.) The newer locos come with NEM pocket couplings which may or may not be important, these can be added to older locos with a Dapol kit.

That's all I know. I expect someone here might be able to add more info or prove me wrong somehow...
What an informative, comprehensive and balanced post - Very refreshing. Thank you.    ;) :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations