Paint match to Farish BR wagon bauxite/grey

Started by longbow, March 06, 2018, 06:05:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longbow

I'm trying to colour-match the Farish paint used on their BR steam-era wagons.

Humbrol #133 Emerald Brown Satin is a pretty good match to the Farish late BR bauxite, but Humbrol Light Grey #64 - widely cited as a match for BR Freight Grey - is not that close to the Farish colour, which has a duck-egg blue tinge.

Any suggestions please?

exmouthcraig

I used railmatch BR freight grey, on a grey primer

However it is a very green grey, not too bad until you put it next to farish grey wagons SO unfortunately I can't say which is a better match BUT would like to find a better match for the next few rakes of 16T mineral wagons

:thumbsup:

longbow

Thanks. Railmatch and Precision Paints aren't available here in Oz so I'm hoping to find a match with Humbrol or other widely available model paints.

PLD

Unless you are patch-painting a wagon, why worry about an exact colour match?? BR certainly didn't! (and that's before the effects of the weather...). It would be quite prototypical for every wagon in a train to be a slightly different shade...
  8)

longbow

Very true but I'll be spray painting my NGS kits in batches then weathering them so it makes sense to choose a consistent and repeatable base colour.

longbow

I've taken another approach by taking Precision Paints early BR freight grey as the reference and attempting to colour match that to model paints more readily available in Oz.

The closest match on the PC seems to be Humbrol 126/164 and Tamiya XF20. I shall try those and see how close I get.

longbow

Happily I've now been able to acquire some Railmatch paints and their BR Early Freight Grey (322) is unsurprisingly the closest match I've found for the Farish shade.

emjaybee

I'd raid your local car parts supplier for rattle cans.

In the UK Halfords grey primer is about spot on for LMS grey, and I suspect BR wagon grey, and their red oxide primer is close enough to bauxite.

Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

longbow

Grey car primer is the first thing I tried (and my default undercoat) but it's not the best match for the Railmatch/Farish BR early grey, which has a tinge of duck-egg blue.

BlythStationLad

Are you intending to weather the wagons? If so don't worry about differences in shades.

Steven B

You could always add a drop or two of blue into the HUmbrol #64.

Like others say, if you're going to weather them then I'd stick with a basic grey primer; Try a few brands as they're not all the same shade of grey. Fortuntately the wagons aren't either:
https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brmineralweld

Steven B.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations