Singer Sewing Machine

Started by dannyboy, March 06, 2018, 01:44:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyboy

I am certain that sometime in the past, I have seen an n gauge wagon, possibly a container on a conflat, with the 'Singer Sewing Machine' wording on it. I have checked the Graham Farish listing but that shows nothing. I am currently approaching 1000 items on ebay, but have not yet found anything and Google is not my friend! Will somebody please put me out of my misery and point me in the right direction - pretty please?
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Malc

Singer is a US company, are you sure that you saw a UK outline wagon?
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Snowwolflair

Could be a Scottish PO wagon.  Singer had a factory complex in Kilbowie in Clydebank with a station for the plant called Singer.

Bealman

Peco, bless their cotton socks, always did some questionable liveries.... was it one of those?
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Hiawatha

There are repro Singer decals for restoring an old Matchbox car - maybe someone just added them to an N scale container? Or was it tampo-printed?

They look like this (other sources are available):
https://www.recovertoy.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=2786
Peter

dannyboy

@Malc  - not sure exactly what I remember, (put it down to age!)
@Snowwolfflair and @Bealman - a bit more information to work on - thank you
@Hiawatha - thanks for the link. I might have to 'make' my own wagon.

I want the wagon to have in memory of my Mum who died a few weeks ago - she was a seamstress by trade, so I am looking for anything with a sewing theme.
David.

joe cassidy

There's a guy on this forum called Chas Bradshaw who collects PO wagons. He would probably know if an RTR Singer wagon ever existed.

It might be worth contacting Robbie's Rolling Stock to find out whether transfers exist.

Best regards,

Joe

The Q

This may be useful to you
http://movingimage.nls.uk/film/1592
particularly note the words for reel two which say loading on a railway wagon,
The last five Minutes  of the video, include several wagons with Singer written on them. (and a Singer saddle tank loco)

PS SWMBO still uses her Grandmothers Singer,  which was bought second hand between the wars. It's approximately 125 Years old....

Snowwolflair

dannyboy

@The Q Many thanks, I will save that for viewing when at work next week.  :thumbsup:

@Snowwolflair   thanks for the pictures. At least I know they did exist - I am not that senile after all! And nice to see an engine.  :beers:
David.

The Q

It's an interesting set of wagons the one being loaded was LMS, the first in the train Seems to be SSMCo with single sided braking,  Many seem to be an NE version of an Iron Mink, there is a flash of some GW wagons, and the wagon in front of the middle picture of Snowwolflair's clip from the video, seems to show a sign written wagon just in front of the NE wagon.

EtchedPixels

When I'm looking for obscure wagon liveries I start here

http://www.robbiesrollingstock.co.uk/

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

dannyboy

Thanks @EtchedPixels - I sent an email to the website last night so am hoping something comes of it.
David.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations