Re; Solving a GF coach problem

Started by Foster, October 31, 2017, 02:50:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foster

The bogies on one set of my GF passenger coaches foul on the bodies. These coaches have body-mounted couplers, which normally would be good.
However, by fitting a spacer between bogie and coach body lifts the couplers too high.
I am scared to take out the body-mounted couplers, as I cannot see how they can be removed.
Replacement bogies will solve the problem.

Thanks. ???

PLD

Which type of coach? where and how is it fouling?

If assembled correctly and there are no non-standard after purchase additions to the coach it should not foul on 9" radius or greater curves. Photo of the offending bogie would be useful to aid diagnosis.

Foster

The couplers come out easily, and each coach uses really tiny screws.

Replaced  with coupler-mounted  bogies.

Hey presto ! the set now runs perfectly, with the spacers needed.  :claphappy:

PLD

Quote from: Foster on November 14, 2017, 03:12:28 AM
The couplers come out easily, and each coach uses really tiny screws.

Replaced  with coupler-mounted  bogies.

Hey presto ! the set now runs perfectly, with the spacers needed.  :claphappy:
Good that you now have a working set, however it is unfortunate that it involved modifying the coaches. This means you have treated the symptoms, but we never really identified the underlying cause of the issues...

silly moo

I'm curious to know which GF coaches have body mounted couplers, I've never come across any. Which just goes to show you can always learn something new.

It's good to hear that you got them sorted out.

:NGaugersRule:

Bob Tidbury

Can we have some pictures of the body mounted couplers on G/F coaches Ive  never seen any before and like Silly moo.would be I interested on which coaches they are.
Bob Tidbury

ntpntpntp

Quote from: Bob Tidbury on November 14, 2017, 01:04:37 PM
Can we have some pictures of the body mounted couplers on G/F coaches Ive  never seen any before..

Me neither.  Definitely not an aftermarket modification?
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

PLD

Quote from: silly moo on November 14, 2017, 11:25:14 AM
I'm curious to know which GF coaches have body mounted couplers
Quote from: Bob Tidbury on November 14, 2017, 01:04:37 PMIve  never seen any before and like Silly moo.would be I interested on which coaches they are.
Quote from: ntpntpntp on November 14, 2017, 01:32:55 PMMe neither
???  ???
All new tooling since the Bachmann Take-over has couplings on body mounted swing links...
Staniers
Hawksworths
Bulleids
Latest generation Mk1s
NGS Thompsons BGs
;)

silly moo

Bob Tidbury

I bet your stock isnt as old as mine silly moo some of mine still.have the original.couplings with the drop loop and held in with s plastic pin.
Bob Tidbury

ten0G

Quote from: PLD on November 14, 2017, 08:02:38 PM
All new tooling since the Bachmann Take-over has couplings on body mounted swing links...
Staniers
Hawksworths
Bulleids
Latest generation Mk1s
NGS Thompsons BGs
;)

Is it possible to buy these bogies to fit to earlier stock, please? 

PLD

Quote from: ten0G on November 15, 2017, 02:11:52 PM
No, they're not sold separately and if they were the mountings differ to earlier designs so no guarantee they would fit... Even if they were, I'm not sure why you would want to change the bogies for new ones would leave the coach with no couplings because the couplings are mounted on the body of the newer types...

ten0G

Quote from: PLD on November 15, 2017, 06:11:06 PM
No, they're not sold separately and if they were the mountings differ to earlier designs so no guarantee they would fit... Even if they were, I'm not sure why you would want to change the bogies for new ones would leave the coach with no couplings because the couplings are mounted on the body of the newer types...

Thanks.  I guess that also rules out any coach kits I've seen which use Farish bogies ... if I want comparatively close couplings.  :'(

railsquid

Quote from: ten0G on November 17, 2017, 09:54:08 AM
Quote from: PLD on November 15, 2017, 06:11:06 PM

Thanks.  I guess that also rules out any coach kits I've seen which use Farish bogies ... if I want comparatively close couplings.  :'(

Replacing the standard Rapido couplings with "short shank" ones might help, unfortunately the only source I know of is Shapeways.

dodger

The Dapol Rapido's are shorter than the Farish ones and are available from DCC Supplies.

Dodger

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations