Fitting DG Couplings

Started by Rex Ashton, August 24, 2017, 10:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rex Ashton

If this has been asked before - sorry. Can anyone advise me on the best way of mounting DG Couplings into NEM coupler pockets. I don't really want to start hacking my locos and stock if there's a better way. Thanks in advance.

robert shrives

Hi.
Firstly not done it yet but 2mfs info suggested soldering a bit of brass rod  across a narrowed mount plate so it is shaped like the NEM. IIRC it was 0.7mm rod.
The fun part will be finding the distance from buffing plate  to rod, but one found then a jig will help make repeatable .

As a thought soldering a long piece of rod to the mount plates whilst on the fret might be the answer and snip and file to suit be fore bending and soldering buffing plates.

Recent mag suggested that having buffer face 0.3- 0.5mm in front of buffers gave close but workable performance even when propelled through crossover.
Robert   

Izzy

There is quite a lot of rolling stock that has Nem pockets that clip into place and can easily be removed leaving a flat surface onto which the base of the coupling can be glued. I generally use evostick because it's kind of rubbery and seems to resist the shocks that couplings get when banging together better than other types, having had some fall off after a period of time.

I agree that setting the buffing plate out from the buffers is necessary, especially for tighter curves. I also tend to curve this a bit at the outer ends to help with this. Then the couplings work on all radius of curves as well as the straight.

Izzy

Rex Ashton

Thanks for the info. I was aware of the removable pockets on wagons but wasn't sure how to proceed with locos and coaches.

MJKERR

I am considering this as an option, for some rolling stock, where shunting and loco release is required
For the locos it is easy enough, but for the coaches it will just be the outer coaches of each rake

At the moment the majority of my locos have the short NEM coupling, so I have a large surplus of long NEM couplings
I was considering modifying the long NEM coupling
Removing the coupling end to leave the shaft and adaptor
The coupling is then fitted in place

tunneroner61

I've found that fitting DGs into some NEMs results in the coupling being far to low (example is latest GF 25/1). So you have to put a joggle in the DG mount plate. I've had success with some GF and Dapol diesel locos (03, 08, 22 & 35) by narrowing down the mount plate and slipping it in between the NEM socket and a bit of bogie above that the NEM attaches to and then holding it in with a bit of glue, but then I'm only moving 6-8 wagons at most on my shunting plank so can't vouch for this working on longer and weightier trains.

Only converted a Dapol B set that was pre NEM - DG glued in and packed to correct height with scraps of plastic. Pretty much same with wagons - I've found that removing the PECO coupling box and occasionally needing some packing ends up with the DG coupling at a good height that other make wagons can be set to.

Norman

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations