Anyone know the cost of a PCB for a Class 153?

Started by Buzzard, July 16, 2017, 12:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzzard

For some reason the PCB in my dummy, yes my dummy, Class 153 fried itself the other day.

I could cut the old one out completely so I could at least multiple it with other units but it wouldn't have working lights which TBH are rather good.

If the cost is not too high then I'll get it off for repair but I'd rather have an idea before going to the post office.

geoffc

I have been given to understand the Dapol 153s are virtually impossible to repair. This is due to the way they are glued on assembly and the difficulty of obtaining spares. A Dapol pcb board normally sells around £22.

Geoff

robert shrives

Hi,
Well that does not happen often. The problem is the very short and often twisted wires of the installation with most if not all being black ! A PCB should be available from the 153 or 121/122 or perhaps the 156 trailer car. - all appear the same. While it might add visible wires I would be apt to extend vehicle wiring to meet the new PCB.

I have repaired several with soldering in new diodes so I amsure it can be done but taking pics or drawing a diagram will help refit. The wiring in the chassis seems to be superglued into the slots and are only removable with pain and damage!!  Way back in the Day Dapol Dave explained that the model would have no end user repairable parts- basically a disposable model!! , add ing a lighting bar or dismembered passengers is all that was planned. The model has virtually no screws being built with once only clips, dismantling will break these and its a glue back together job.  I found this while tinkering about trying out a 153 back to 155 project- and this still not completed!
Robert         

geoffc

DCC Supplies have the 153 PCB in stock, it comes with the light boards and switches £39.12.

Geoff

robert shrives

Hi
Have fun it sounds like it comes as a complete loom as well - much easier to sort, I expect with a little thought and luck you will not end up having to dig out all the wiring troughs to fit it.

Happy times ahead
Robert 

Dr Al

At 39 quid it'd be as cheap to buy a complete new dummy!

Or ditch the PCB and wire it manually - all it needs are a few resistors and diodes.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Buzzard

Quote from: Dr Al on July 18, 2017, 06:12:44 PMAt 39 quid it'd be as cheap to buy a complete new dummy!

That's the conclusion I've been coming to but the Central Trains version seems the most popular.

Quote from: Dr Al on July 18, 2017, 06:12:44 PMOr ditch the PCB and wire it manually - all it needs are a few resistors and diodes.

If I knew what was required I would ask one of the gurus at the club to help because I'm useless at electronics.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations