Copy only selected text to Reply

Started by keithfre, July 15, 2017, 05:05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keithfre

Apologies if this has been asked before.

Is it possible for the system to copy only text I have selected in a post before I click Reply? At the moment it always copies the entire post.

Newportnobby

Not sure why you'd want to copy text from a post, Keith :confused2:
If you want to quote someone's post then click on the "Insert Quote" icon at the top of the post you want to quote from. Make sure you leave the top and tail quote marks but you can highlight and delete anything between those quote brackets if you don't want to quote it all.
Maybe I'm just not understanding what you are trying to do.

ntpntpntp

Agree with NPN. Quote the post and delete what you don't want to include. Simples. 

I'd definitely encourage people NOT to quote and repeat entire posts, it's not necessary and clutters up the thread.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

njee20

Agreed, and no reason to quote the post before immediately yours either IMO.

You can just copy your selected text and add the quote marks manually, but you don't get the author and time stamp stuff.

keithfre

I just want to quote the bit I'm referring to. I realize I can quote the whole thing and delete the bits I don't want to quote, but I've been on other forums where if I highlight the text I do want to quote, only that gets quoted. Saves a lot of time and fiddle-faddle.

And I may be replying to an older post, with lots of posts before the one I'm replying to, in which case I will need to quote something.

Newportnobby

If it's an old post with no facility to 'Insert Quote' I'd suggest just highlighting the portion you want to quote and copy and paste it. To show it's a quote you just need to add quotation marks at each end and I'd change the font colour, italicise it, underline it, make it bold or whatever you prefer.

njee20

Or just add quote tags {quote}text{/quote} but with square brackets. Add ="username" into the first quote tag to identify the poster.

Quote from: Queen VictoriaWe are not amused

jrb

Quote from: ntpntpntp on July 15, 2017, 05:35:27 PM
I'd definitely encourage people NOT to quote and repeat entire posts, it's not necessary and clutters up the thread.

Agreed. One of my pet hates is when people quote a really long post, with loads of pictures, and then just add a couple of words at the end, like "That's great".

njee20

Yes, couldn't agree more, hanging offence!

Was really tempted to quote your post and just put "agreed". Layout threads seem to attract these.

Tank

Quote from: njee20 on July 15, 2017, 10:06:13 PM
Or just add quote tags {quote}text{/quote} but with square brackets. Add ="username" into the first quote tag to identify the poster.

Quote from: Queen VictoriaWe are not amused

And if you want to use BBC Code without it being activated then use the Hash button when replying (under the Font Style box).

[quote]Queen Victoria[/quote]

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations