!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Scottish Area N Gauge group  (Read 1406 times)

Offline MJKERR

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: X23832
    • Awards
Re: Scottish Area N Gauge group
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2017, 09:27:17 pm »
There are almost 300 NGS members with postal addresses in Scotland, so theres probably scope for more than one areaa group (other than Dumfries and Galloway. The breakdown looks like this:
Post code   Postal area   Members
EH   Edinburgh   64
G   Glasgow   29
KY   Kirkcaldy   29
AB   Aberdeen   25
KA   Kilmarnock   23
PA   Paisley   22
DD   Dundee   20
FK   Falkirk   19
DG   Dumfries   17
PH   Perth   13
TD   Galashiels   12
IV   Inverness   11
ML   Motherwell   8
KW   Kirkwall   5
ZE   Shetland   1
HS   Western Isles   0
Interesting statistics, but it does not appear to be many people
I was a member of the NGS for one year, but did not renew for all kinds of reasons...
I would rejoin if there was a Scottish Area Group affiliated to the NGS, and that might be a better method of supporting both which would then determine if there is demand

Offline ScottishModeller

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24524
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2017, 09:44:54 pm »
All

There are almost 300 NGS members with postal addresses in Scotland, so theres probably scope for more than one areaa group (other than Dumfries and Galloway. The breakdown looks like this:
Post code   Postal area   Members
EH   Edinburgh   64
G   Glasgow   29
KY   Kirkcaldy   29
AB   Aberdeen   25
KA   Kilmarnock   23
PA   Paisley   22
DD   Dundee   20
FK   Falkirk   19
DG   Dumfries   17
PH   Perth   13
TD   Galashiels   12
IV   Inverness   11
ML   Motherwell   8
KW   Kirkwall   5
ZE   Shetland   1
HS   Western Isles   0

Also, has anyone contacted the NGS Area Group Co-ordinator? Not only will he give advice, but there will be an annual support grant available for an area group within NGS.

Adrian
Hi Adrian,

Thanks for providing the membership breakdown.

This appears to support what I said about the potential group members being well spread.

I think - someone correct me if I am wrong - the thread is for gathering enough information about the viability of such a group, before going to the NGS Area Group Co-ordinator.

Looking at the figures indicates - to me ate least - that there could potentially be several area groups in Scotland.

There is already the Dumfries group, but they seem to be a bit quiet and I'm not sure of the precise position they are in or if they are a viable area group?

Thanks
Phil H

Offline Carmont

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2017, 11:45:08 am »
I think we need to be careful using postcodes for the purposes of perceived proximity of members. In Scotland, the population is much less dense than it is many of those in other parts of the UK.

For instance, PH, is ostensibly a Perth postcode. However, the PH postcodes reach as far west as the isles of Rum and Canna, as far north as (beyond) Aviemore and as far south as Blackford and Gleneagles. So the problem is that those 13 members could all be hundreds of road miles apart. Aberdeenshire (AB) and Paisley (PA) are similar.

Offline Lawrence

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Closed
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2017, 02:07:21 pm »
It seems that Daves' original idea has grown some arms and legs and they way things are going there will be a committee in place before anything happens!  The original concept, as I understand it, was akin to getting a group of like minded guys together maybe for a meal and a couple of ales at a reasonably central location (you could always do North & South meets), there doesn't even need to be any train or layouts involved at this point, and see if personalities gel, if there is a willingness, given the large amount of time that would need to be given to such a project, to actually formalise anything.
At this point all you will have lost is a couple of hours and an evening (or afternoon) with fellow modellers.
If this is to move forward we need to get back to basics, have a get together and take it from there, all IMHO of course.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here