!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Helping Hands with Glass Magnifier  (Read 604 times)

Offline Greenbridge.

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Helping Hands with Glass Magnifier
« on: June 20, 2017, 11:05:05 am »
 :hellosign:
What kind of "helping hands with glass magnifier" do you use? I need one because I'm not very young (I'm 60) and the N gauge stuff seems to be a little smaller every day.
 :thankyousign:
And now, it's up to you. Please don't be too cruel...

Offline maridunian

• Awards
Re: Helping Hands with Glass Magnifier
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 11:46:49 am »
This is the sort I use...............

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Soldering-Clamp-Stand-Magnifier-Glass-Clamps-Modelling-Stand-Helping-Third-Hand-/201959102574?hash=item2f05b3586e:g:jCQAAOSwLN5WkTZC

Me too - excellent VFM!!

I also have some 2x and 5x reading glasses, and for really tricky tasks wear both so I can work 6" from the model.

Mike

Offline NinOz

• N Gauge Society Number: Ex3504
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 12:35:25 pm »
Have one of the many similar units available.
Mine has a tray in the front to hold stuff and a 90mm 1.3x lens which incorporates a small ground area (20mm diameter ) of higher magnification, 2.5x.
Also found one of the many drop-down visors with leds and swapable lenses to be very useful where I want more freedom of movement.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-LED-Magnifying-Visor-Hat-LED-Head-Loupe-Headband-Torch-4-Lens-NEW-/332254144698?hash=item4d5be3e8ba:g:C7UAAOSw5cRZN0QT

CFJ
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 12:44:30 pm »
I have a couple of those helping hands, but to be honest (and to paraphrase Darth Vader)  I find their lack of weight disturbing (actually they really wind me up if I'm in the middle of something tricky and the damn things won't keep still :veryangry: ).

I much prefer a proper adjustable angle vice clamped to the workbench, and I have a magnifying angle-poise lamp I can swing into place if necessary.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/191059659939?chn=ps&dispItem=1&adgroupid=33676502101&rlsatarget=pla-271883372795&abcId=893836&adtype=pla&merchantid=7394634&poi=&googleloc=1006729&device=c&campaignid=707291931&crdt=0
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Greenbridge.

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 12:49:13 pm »
All your answers are very helpful. I'm looking for something like that (90mm lens):

And now, it's up to you. Please don't be too cruel...

Offline NinOz

• N Gauge Society Number: Ex3504
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 01:02:47 pm »
That is very similar to mine (tray in front and small higher mag inclusion in the big lens) except mine has a very primitive "functional minimalist" lens attachment and doesn't look as nice.
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 01:04:56 pm »
All your answers are very helpful. I'm looking for something like that (90mm lens):

Yeah, got one of those kicking about somewhere too - I think father-in-law got it for either myself or my lad.
Don't think we've ever used it, certainly not as a soldering iron stand as again not enough weight to be really stable.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: 26722
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 04:04:56 pm »
I have a set of three Avery scale weights, like this one:
http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/images/g/0P0AAOSw3utY5jIa/s-l225.jpg

Most free standing magnifiers have the stability issue, and though I can clamp one to the edge of a bench, I'm wondering whether it might not be an idea to drill into the 7 lb weight to fit the upright of the magnifier so that I can place it where I want (hard to clamp to as the sides are sloping.) Might take some time to drill though. :(

I have a 56 lb for the big jobs! Only stability issue then is me, when I'm carrying it! :D
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything