Peco Jubilee £68; new Farish Jubilee £89 -- some mistake surely?

Started by NeMo, June 14, 2017, 05:18:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeMo

These are the Hattons prices at the moment...

Peco Jubilee £68

Farish Jubilee £89

I'm as much a fan of the Peco model as anyone. But that Peco model could easily be 30 years old, so a price tag 76% that of a brand new, DCC-ready model built to modern standards seems a bit odd. What do you fine people think?

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

ntpntpntp

That's still pretty much the going rate for a Peco jub in good condition, and I've certainly seen rather more than that asked for one.  Whether it's worth it to you is of course your own decision. 

Yes they are old locos, but some folk still like the tender drive unit or want spares to keep their existing ones going.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

keithfre

Sounds like a very reasonable price for a Peco Jub in as new condition.

NeMo

Quote from: keithfre on June 14, 2017, 05:31:41 PM
Sounds like a very reasonable price for a Peco Jub in as new condition.

Ah, so the one I got for £20 because it needed minor repairs was a definite bargain -- boxed along with the alternate chimney and the name/number transfers!

The brilliant @Ozymandias managed to come up trumps here, replacing the missing screw and cleaning out the gubbins, and now I must admit it's one of the smoothest and most reliable locos I own.

But £68? Still not sure. It's not like these are rare locos that will appeal to collectors -- or will they?

Cheers, NeMo

Steve.T

Sorry misunderstood the OP on first read.
I thought you were talking about the Farish rather than the pre-owned Peco.

I now see it was there just for a comparison and see what you mean.
Personally I would agree and go for the DCC ready Farish but as said everybody has different ideas.

Anyway made me look at Hattons which I hadn't for a while and you can bet your life my bank account will be lighter at the end of this evening.  :D

Steve
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Steve

NeMo

Quote from: Steve.T on June 14, 2017, 05:37:47 PM
Anyway made me look at Hattons which I hadn't for a while and you can bet your life my bank account will be lighter at the end of this evening.  :D

Last few days they've had some cracking stuff on the secondhand aisle! Desert sand 'Western', various NGS exclusives, Modelzone exclusives... as well as lots of cheap and cheerful pocket money stuff like old kits and Peco wagons. Among other things, I picked up the weathered 'test train' coach pack for £48 including postage.

After a few months of 'meh' stuff, they seem to be offering up some really interesting secondhand stock.

Cheers, NeMo

trkilliman

A few years back the NGs Journal compared the Peco Jubilee with the Farish one. The reviewer concluded that whilst the Peco offering was streets ahead of the rest when introduced, the Farish offering beats it hands down.

I had 3 of the peco ones, but once I had a Farish one the Pecos went on ebay.

Currently I have 5 of the Farish Jubilees and love 'em. The Peco ones have I think somewhat a cult following, with part locos usually getting a goodly price. Motors and tender chassis seem like hens teeth and reach good prices after many bids. If someone was able to remake a motor and tender chassis I think they would sell plenty

Each to their own of course, but I know which one I would buy from Hatton's given the price differential.

ntpntpntp

Well yes, given how impressed I've been with my Farish Tornado I'd certainly get a Farish Jub if I were in the market for one.   

I maintain a Peco Jub simply because I originally bought one as a lad in the late 70s for the princely sum of £26 and have a fondness for the model.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Portpatrick

I am not surprised at that price.  The Peco model is still a fine little item in my view.  While I replaced mine with Farish as while ago, the Peco, being a simpler model without all the separate detail is far more able to stand up to regular handling.  But most of those around are in black.  A friend of mine bought one from a second hand dealer at a show a year or so ago - he paid £60.  Beautifully painted and line in BR Green.  But the motor failed shortly after.  As it happened I had a spare tender chassis with motor from my own earlier fleet of them so could bail him out.  Sadly I had lost a small supply of traction tyres.  And a lovely runner it now is.

Dr Al

IMHO expensive. Peco Jubs dropped a lot in value when the Farish ones arrived - they used to command up to £100 secondhand, now a reasonable one is looking £35 to £40 and a minter, boxed maybe £55.

Peco ran out of a lot of the most required spares a while back (I know - I bought their last few tender underframes!) so with the age of these there is the risk that if something goes it'll be terminal - so I tend to implicitly factor that in to what I'd pay. At least the Farish one should be able to be repaired should it fail.

But each to their own ultimately - I do have one Peco still - kept because I repainted it in BR Green - why oh why Peco never did that livery is utterly baffling.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Newportnobby

I was late in coming to want a Jubilee so went for the Farish double chimneyed 'Bahamas' and thought it was excellent in both looks and running. Strangely, having see the weathered late crest 'Eire' on sale @ £84.50 I've snaffled one just this morning :)

Bealman

Ozymandias is working on my (green liveried) one as I post!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

elmo

I do not have a peco jubilee to compare but as a general rule, in my experience we are talking about an old Rolls Royce compared to a new car which a short life span. I am finding myself leaving the new stuff on the shelf after spending good money on too many lemons.

Elmo

ntpntpntp

Quote from: elmo on June 15, 2017, 10:55:25 AM
I do not have a peco jubilee to compare but as a general rule, in my experience we are talking about an old Rolls Royce compared to a new car which a short life span.

The longevity of recent Farish production remains to be seen though they are fine looking models and generally good running characteristics from what I've seen, pretty much up to the levels I expect from my continental models (I wouldn't have been prepared to admit that a few years ago).  I've had a motor fail on a Liliput german N unit (a known problem with these it seems), and of course Liliput is part of the Bachmann empire nowadays.

More and more old Peco Jubs are now showing signs of fatigue especially in the plastic tender underframe, and the motors can go flakey. Neither part is easily obtainable now aside from canibalising other models.   The motor fault is often the commutator overheating and deforming, there is at least one web site article out there on how to tackle this if the motor is otherwise still serviceable.

Dr Al

Quote from: ntpntpntp on June 15, 2017, 11:54:09 AM
there is at least one web site article out there on how to tackle this if the motor is otherwise still serviceable.

Do you know the link for that?

Thanks,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations