!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Crooked creek  (Read 550 times)

Offline outofgauge

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 15978
    • Ebay
    • Awards
Crooked creek
« on: June 12, 2017, 09:09:44 pm »
 :NGaugersRule: This is where Crooked Creek will be born -fledge and go on to be seen by plenty ( if all goes well )  The old posts on the n gauge mine heading will be wound up shortly as the fleet has been amassed and sorted for running on the layout ( some locos have gone for a weathering job to join the others. Some bits await parts !)

This was the picture that started it all ( and many thanks goes to all who posted comments and pointed me here, there, and in the right places. Not going to single out any individuals who have made me laugh , cry, scream and bang my head on the workbench ) :claphappy: thanks to all and hope to see all those again on this line -asking those questions -pointing me to the answers and most of all enjoying themselves !!  Next post will be the sketches and ideas I've had and a general view were it's all going !!
Regards

Neil

Remember -this is not a practice !!
And I was Born ready .

Online Webbo

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Crooked creek
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 12:03:13 am »
I am looking forward to your developments, Neil. And, don't pay any attention to the likes of me.

Edna mine is the prototype of the Walther's New River Mine kit from what I remember?

Webbo

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 12:10:56 am »
I am a fan of US railroading. I have the Trainz:A New Era simulator on my PC and have been creating the Chesapeake and Ohio from Hinton to Allegany summit - all 50 kms of it to scale. The creators of the game even recently released an Allegheny H8 2-6-6-6 which is the quintessential monster power for my route.

I will follow your thread with great interest. Good luck and God speed.
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline outofgauge

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 06:55:37 am »
Webbo as usual you only right ! Yes it's the prototype - got a few pictures of the original in operation and what's left now it's swept away ! Funny enough I never spotted the difference in levels till I saw a modern-ish photo and then I noticed the mine was a lot higher than the main line ( which is still running ) - will add to the fun of the layout . My ideas have stretched to adding a new flood loader on the site ( under construction ) to show tine is running out for the old girl as modern technology takes over !! This too is a Walther's kit!

Baseboards first - as these are a bit different I will include them -( not my idea - but I've put my engineering background and my love of wood into them !
Regards

Neil

And I was Born ready .

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 10:01:25 am »
Looks like a plan with great operational possibilities, Neil.
Are you going to attempt to create the Upgrade/Downgrade as I can see that being fun in itself? :hmmm:

Offline outofgauge

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 10:08:21 am »
Mainline up to the mine  - yes - not to sure about the old mine loading lanes - they were in real life down grade towards the loader and on to the storage yard - if I do that I wont need a yard shunted - be more like a hump yard !! Need some height to model the creek anyway Mick - looks like a job for some polystyrene ! If that answers your question ??
Regards

Neil

And I was Born ready .

Offline outofgauge

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 09:08:02 pm »
Some photos of the original prototype Edna mine -in operating times and what's left to day. Gave me an idea as to the levels involved  both in front and behind . Haven't been able to find many more photos -it either wasn't a popular place or they just don't exist . Hey -How on we go !

Regards

Neil

And I was Born ready .

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2017, 09:19:28 pm »
The gradient of the line is not as bad as I thought it might be, but that's one helluva height difference to the top of the hill :goggleeyes:

Offline daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: 26722
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2017, 10:38:32 pm »
I found a fair few photos of the Edna mine on Google but I expect you have done that already. Some poor quality B&W's that render more detail with a bit of enhancement, though many are close ups of machinery and people, though one site had someone building a model layout of the plant. Is that you?

Have you looked at the half dozen or so on the USGS site? 

Happy to search for you a bit if you need more photos.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline outofgauge

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 06:53:24 am »
Thanks for the offer Mike-but I'm only using some parts of the track plan on my layout - not the whole thing. Just took a liking to the building kit - and went from there . My problem is - behind the tipple is just barren land going up to strip mine itself - I will be having some trees as I don't have all the conveyor parts to do that . As I said before I'm going to model the old replacing the new - I'm putting a modern flood loader under construction in front of the old tipple - giving it a new lease of life - something that didn't happen to the real Edna mine ! In fact this weekend I noticed it on the box lid of the Walther's flood loader - the new river tipple is in the background !

Regards

Neil

And I was Born ready .

Offline daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: 26722
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 07:20:38 am »
Often fancy a tipple myself. :D

Enjoy the build Neil. As you are not going for a full-on re-creation you might find some benefit/inspiration in looking at lamdcapes around similar U.S. mines, and I reckon the USGS site would be the best source of photos, given that the ones for the Edna are photos number 331 onwards. (or thereabouts). So that's at least 330 of other mines to trawl through! :goggleeyes:

Or you could take a trip to Colorado. ;)

Whatever you create, I wish you all the best. :thumbsup:

:beers:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline outofgauge

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2017, 06:00:04 pm »
Sorry folks -been a while since my last post -what with work going into silly mode and the wife insisting we use the new garden at every good weather notice ( she watches out for me -cos I just keep going till I stop with something bad !) And I've gone an overdone it at the min  :thumbsdown: Anyway got a few drawings to post as promised -trust me I'm no artist ( only the alcohol type ) I'm ok with fag packet sketches to make things but nost great at doing them myself. Its not to scale ( by a long way  :dunce:) the wagon storage need to be at least 1200 long whilst under the tipple 500 . But it gives you an idea or two .

That's my idea for the track plan-but like everything it's liable to change as we build an things require a change.
A bit closer for those who want it

Layout length is looking like 12'x3' over two boards .
And a quick idea of the cross section on the scenic front bit !

Regards

Neil

And I was Born ready .

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2017, 09:07:26 pm »
You've got your work cut out, Neil, but here's another one telling you not to overdo things :telloff:
There looks to be loads of operational interest with that plan.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2017, 07:13:08 am »
Looks like a good plan Neil. Take it steady and slow.

Offline outofgauge

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2017, 04:01:38 pm »
Getting to the part I really enjoy -construction of BaseBoards. I'm lucky in two respects -1- spent my life as an engineer -welder most of it -site working most of it ,used to drawings ( trained on autocad as a hobby ) -2- as a release from that - I've always played with timber- it's easier to burn the evidence when you get it wrong  :D
My dad spent time with me at home passing on what he had - and some guys on site have the time to show you bits or give you ideas. I'm also lucky to have always had somewhere to go and ruin bits of wood at home -sheds ( various over  years ( new man cave just built )) or at work were we have a full on joinery shop were you can play in your breaks !! I also have a room in the house to play in -modelled  for years doing 1/35 armour -it has a desk / computer and loads of storage . Sadly the p.c has chosen not to play when I want it -so it's gone for a holiday. :veryangry: Bad timing as it has all my drawings on it -so I'm reduced to doing the odd hand dwg  or two to get my ideas over.
Opting for a different to the norm design ( not my idea at all ) just going to adapt it using my engineer background and love of wood. As I'm not doing it as the norm - the end plates are different too -wait for it -im using plywood -birch ply -15mm thick -its light, strong, and being ply shouldn't warp at all-even at 900+long -should I think it needs it -then a 20mm wide strip of the same across the bottom edge will halt that problem. Four ends will be required -2 plain for the outer edges and 2 drilled to suit the baseboard joint ! Used lip and spur wood drills 3mm,8.5mm etc - forstner bit (25mm) combined screw predrill/countersink bit to suit 6g screws . Pillar drill ( not absolutely necessary-corded/ cordless drill is fine) just easier to get dead square and set the depth of hole.tape the two end together securely and carefully mark out on one board -bar the six outer screw holes all the others require a 3mm hole right through both ends as a marker . Once all are done then the ends can be separated to be further drilled to suit .

Forstner bit.

The two outer and one central hole are to drilled 11.5mm to suit an m813mm type d wood insert -installed from the rear of the end plate using an Allen key as these things are threaded and wound in till the Bush bites the timber.

The front will be a holes 5 no. 25mm x 3mm using the forstner bit for a m8 penny washer -Just to help locate the bolts and the other two holes are for baseboard alignment dowels male part only.

The other end plate is drilled 8.5mm in all 5 positions then counterbored with the forstner bit 5 on one side 3 on the inner ( center and two outer positions ) all 3mm deep - the inner three are for penny washers again and used to protect the timber -and hole (over time it will enlage a bit ) protection is for the m8 x40mm star knob im using to lock the baseboards together. The other two are clearence for the male part of the Dowel .

5min epoxy will be used to secure the washers in position and a quick smear being the dowels before screwing in position ( lock boards back together whist it sets ) should guarantee alignment. A bit different don't you think folks ??
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 06:20:49 pm by outofgauge, Reason: Spelling »
Regards

Neil

And I was Born ready .

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100%