base boards

Started by first timer, June 09, 2017, 08:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

first timer

Hi all, I,m having a purpose built shed in the garden as my railway room, taking into account weather conditions whats the best board to use, MDF or plywood.

Cheers
    Les

ntpntpntp

I've used MDF for a couple of portable fiddleyards, making sure it was well sealed with PVA, but I much prefer plywood.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Newportnobby

For a shed I'd plump for well braced ply and strongly recommend you varnish both sides of the ply before attaching the framing. Remember to drill holes in any cross bracing to carry wires tidily.

port perran

MDF makes it difficult to fix track with pins (if you are intending to use track pins that is).
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

outofgauge

Depends how deep the pockets are or what's left in the kitty after shed ( railroom ) construction ?? I'd go for ply -but not the cheap Chinese  stuff that's flying about ! Mdf is very hard ( predrill for track pins ) moisture unfriendly ( you can get green Mdf which is moisture resistant ) marine ply is very good -but is WAY to expensive -I would plump for a good wood yard ( usually cut for free or a minimal charge ( my local charges nothing for 5 cuts -50p there after )  I very gone for birch ply -paid £16 / 8x4 sheet via work that is very very good -flat stable and smooth -but as I said -depends what's left in the kitty ???? ;)
Regards
Neil

Remember -this is not a practice ! One go only !
And I was Born ready .

geoffc

Quote from: outofgauge on June 09, 2017, 10:12:48 PM
Depends how deep the pockets are or what's left in the kitty after shed ( railroom ) construction ?? I'd go for ply -but not the cheap Chinese  stuff that's flying about ! Mdf is very hard ( predrill for track pins ) moisture unfriendly ( you can get green Mdf which is moisture resistant ) marine ply is very good -but is WAY to expensive -I would plump for a good wood yard ( usually cut for free or a minimal charge ( my local charges nothing for 5 cuts -50p there after )  I very gone for birch ply -paid £16 / 8x4 sheet via work that is very very good -flat stable and smooth -but as I said -depends what's left in the kitty ???? ;)

Even using "good" wood suppliers you can end up with Chinese ply as I found to my cost when dealing with a very large timber importer in Bristol. Make sure you ask for and get  a good European birch ply.

Geoff

Bealman

I have always advocated ply, but beware splinters during construction  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

daffy

I've used the green 22mm chipboard of flooring grade (not the cheap 'loft boards' stuff) for my computer bench cum wife's sewing bench, as it is very stable. Being tongue and groove and available in sizes up to 8' x 4', joints can, with careful planning, be kept even.  It is very hard so pre-drilling would be necessary for all things of course.

Too heavy perhaps for anything but a permanently fixed location. I've built three different worktop features with it (in three houses) and never found problems with dimensional stability.

Anybody foresee any other difficulties using this for a layout baseboard?
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

ntpntpntp

Quote from: daffy on June 10, 2017, 10:17:25 AM

Anybody foresee any other difficulties using [22mm chipboard]  for a layout baseboard?

Way too heavy and thick I'd have thought?   

9mm ply is my preferred material. Easy to work with, not too heavy, takes pins if necessary (though not those feeble Peco wire pin thingies). I glue my track to cork sheet on top of the ply anyway.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Bealman

I think that one of the greatest contributions to railway modelling was American Lynn Westcott's open baseboard construction.

Allows scenery above and below the track base datum.

He used ply for the trackbed.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

ntpntpntp

Yes I agree, I leave the top open other than for the trackbed and buildings/roads.

first timer

Thanks for all your help. Plywood it is 9mm or 12mm, what,s the best?

outofgauge

Quote from: Bealman on June 10, 2017, 10:55:30 AM
I think that one of the greatest contributions to railway modelling was American Lynn Westcott's open baseboard construction.

Allows scenery above and below the track base datum.

He used ply for the trackbed.

I'm with Bealman-lynn wescott's idea was a breakthrough -using 'L' girders as the Base and working up using softwood risers and plywood track bases it gives you the more options for the scenery or multilevel railway . A good view of the system is in Cyril Freezers book model railway design manual ( don't think Im allowed to upload a photo ?? Copyright ??) You just make up complex points arrangements or other track configuration on the bench -put in you wire droppers motors etc -test then plant the whole board into place and build on ! Revolutionary in its day -still stands today for permanent railways -only seen one on exhibition  trail ! 9mm ply for track bed ( I used 6mm for sides 6/9mm for top  but mines portable !
Regards
Neil

And I was Born ready .

daffy

Thanks Neil. Freezer's book is available second hand from various sources and I shall certainly look out a copy to investigate the method.

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/Model-Railway-Design-Manual-Freezer-PSL/7711837188/bd
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

outofgauge

:pmsign:8 check your inbox Daffy please
Regards
Neil

And I was Born ready .

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations