base boards

Started by first timer, June 09, 2017, 08:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

austinbob

Even if you've braced your baseboards I think its still a good idea to rest them on a frame so that you can remove them to work on them.
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

first timer

Yep I thought that might be your answer and I,m more than prepared to do what you sugest and also stain the boards first. Would 12mm ply be any advantage ?

austinbob

I think 9 mm is more than enough. 12 mm will be 33% heavier...
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

ntpntpntp

Quote from: first timer on July 01, 2017, 04:18:56 PM
Yep I thought that might be your answer and I,m more than prepared to do what you sugest and also stain the boards first. Would 12mm ply be any advantage ?
Not in my opinion - just heavier.

I've always used 9mm ply, to form the sides of a box and only on top where the track will be, leaving the rest open to reduce weight and to allow for scenery below the track level.

Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

first timer

What is the best wood glue to use for the frames under the ply wood ?

ntpntpntp

Quote from: first timer on July 01, 2017, 05:04:01 PM
What is the best wood glue to use for the frames under the ply wood ?

Whatever PVA you can get hold of is fine. My personal favourite PVA is from Wickes - I find it a little "stickier" than some other brands.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

first timer

The shed I,m having is overlap construction insulated with double bubble silver backed insulation. Do you all think this is O K (simple reason overlap is a bit cheaper than shiplap ).

ntpntpntp

Not a fan of sheds for this sort of thing (too much temperature variation), but if I were investing in a shed to house a layout not just a few garden tools, it would have to be proper shiplap for me. The cheap overlapping stuff warps and twists and creates gaps over time.

daffy

I'd agree. The shed sides need to be shiplap or some form of tongue and groove to keep the weather out. If I were adapting my own t&g sided shed I would line with insulation and then board on the inside, creating a sandwich. That way you have a firm interior surface to work against, attach things to, or just lean against watching the trains go by. It will be far more durable too.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

austinbob

Quote from: daffy on July 01, 2017, 06:05:37 PM
I'd agree. The shed sides need to be shiplap or some form of tongue and groove to keep the weather out. If I were adapting my own t&g sided shed I would line with insulation and then board on the inside, creating a sandwich. That way you have a firm interior surface to work against, attach things to, or just lean against watching the trains go by. It will be far more durable too.
Seconded.
Two things:-
You're probably gonna invest a fair amount in your layout and stock over time so you need to keep the elements at bay to protect your investment.
You wanna be dry, warm and cosy while playing with operating your layout.
;) :beers:

Bob Austin

austinbob

Oh and don't forget you might need a heater and a fridge for your IPA...
:)

Bob Austin

first timer

Is IPA the same as JOHN SMITHS

austinbob

No but you have to have something that keeps your favourite tipple a suitable temperature.
:)

Bob Austin

The Q

SWMBO wasn't impressed when she opened the first fridge fitted to the shed to find it entirely filled with Cider.....

The shed I have both the commercially built bit and my built bit is tongue and groove, For good insulation you need wall / insulation / interior  cladding, don't forget the windows and roof.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations