!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: SNCF coaches in N gauge  (Read 545 times)

Offline woodbury22uk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23382
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: SNCF coaches in N gauge
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2017, 12:28:04 pm »
Does anybody have Cat.Nos. or links for Dynam/Artrain UIC-Ys or Lima / Arnold DEVs?
That would make web searches easier.
Before I found this forum my knowledge of SNCF coaching stock can have been written on a small postage stamp.
My profiency in the French language is even worse than my German language skills.

Pages 3-5 here give the current Artrain numbers. They are made by Transmondia. A are first class, B are second class, C are couchettes, and F are baggage cars.

http://transmondia-trains.com/FR~Nos_Fabrications
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 12:32:23 pm by woodbury22uk »
Mike

Over-user of brackets and quotation marks

Membre 0196. Association Française des Amis du N (AFAN)

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2017, 01:13:26 am »
Just to flesh out the problems with the Arnold UIC:

1) it is the wrong colour (horrible green nothing like the real thing)
2) it has the wrong bogies (Y16 (Pennsylvania type). UIC coaches mostly has Y24 (the Fleischmann type)
3) it has 'plain' windows (they should be 'metal rimmed' type windows)
4) there should be a little 'skirt' at all four lower corners of the bodyside (incorporating the end door steps)
5) It is a 9 window coach of 2nd class, when the model dates from a time when the 9 window 2nd class UIC coaches were still first class.
6) It carries a running number belonging to a 10 window UIC coach, so was clearly intended to represent a coach of the common 2nd class 10 window B10 type. So it is as bad as the 1967 LIMA DEV inox model which had 9 windows instead of 8.

even I as a dedicated SNCF N gauge modeller never wanted to own one - I just put up with other stock until the Dynam models became available.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 01:14:47 am by Gordon »
Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2017, 01:43:29 am »
Does anybody have Cat.Nos. or links for Dynam/Artrain UIC-Ys or Lima / Arnold DEVs?
That would make web searches easier.
Before I found this forum my knowledge of SNCF coaching stock can have been written on a small postage stamp.
My profiency in the French language is even worse than my German language skills.

You said you were modelling early 1970s Moselbahn, so you don't need a green/grey SNCF coach. Most would still have been all green at that time,

You don't necessarily need cat numbers. The following search phrase should pick up most stuff :

"SNCF voiture UIC echelle N"
german variation: "SNCF wagen UIC spur N"

into the above you can add 'Artrain' or 'Dynam' and see what you get

similarly for DEV try

"SNCF voiture DEV echelle N Lima"

you can add 'N Spur' and/or Arnold into the above phrase

Otherwise, you are looking for

Artrain UIC:
A101 (1st class)
B101 (2nd class)

Lima didn't do their 1980s model DEV in the correct livery for early 1970s (the livery even on their all green B8 was a late 1980s onwards livery.

REE DEV:
REE have done  (see earlier posts) the correct early 1970s (aka Epoch IVa)  livery  on their new DEV. you need catalogue  ref :
  NW-062 (pair of 2nd class B10 with different running numbers)
NW 063 (single 2nd B10 coach another different running number)
NW071 (pair one 1st class A8, one 2nd class B10)
NW072 (single 1st class A8)

European railway expert

Offline dickrowland

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2017, 06:09:08 am »
Thanks for the tip!
The Arnold coach was a bit of a shot in the dark, it's a good thing I didn't pay too much for it.
When my bank account has recovered from being mugged for the car insurance I'll do some more searching, better informed than before.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 06:16:47 am by dickrowland »

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2017, 01:51:26 am »
The more I think about this the more I don't recall SNCF coaches being very common on the Moselbahn. I wasn't quite old enough when I linesided the line in the early 1970s, although I have a few poor quality pictures from my first camera.

My recollection is that in that era SNCF sent its older stock on trains heading east!

I have found two photos and sure enough in both cases the trains included only a solitary SNCF coach (all the other coaches are standard DB Bm). In one it is a 'Metallique Est'  2nd/baggage, in the other it is an ex-PLM 'Rémetalisée Sud Est' B4D 2nd baggage

European railway expert

Offline dickrowland

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2017, 06:56:00 am »
Having checked the prices asked for old Dynam/Artrain stuff, Euro 140 per coach or thereabouts. Certainly not impressed by the specification for the money asked. The windows rendition looks a little crude. I'll take the REE option. Euro 60, or thereabouts, for a modern-spec model, is more normal these days, in my opinion. Not a cheap price, but that seems to be how things are going these days.

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
July Donations

Advertise Here