!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: SR Leader Class  (Read 3218 times)

Offline nick_bastable

• Trade Count: (0)
  • 2mm Association Number: 3935
    • Awards
Re: SR Leader Class
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2017, 09:02:56 pm »
very nice

Nick

Offline fergy1

• N Gauge Society Number: 21704
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2017, 05:06:33 pm »
Great looking model of a very unusual prototype. :)

Offline Chetcombe

• N Gauge Society Number: 21564
    • YouTube
    • Chetcombe on YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2017, 12:33:03 am »
Very impressive. I am really enjoying seeing this come to fruition.

Offline AR

• Awards
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2017, 09:24:56 pm »
Hello all,

I have been slowly getting the details done! I have completed one end including glazing and put the transfers on one side so far:)

I have detailed the buffer beam and painted the buffers as well as glazing the windows, the white marks in the windows will dry completely clear:)

36006 has had her name and numberplates fitted on one side and I think they look good in dark blue!

Not the greatest photo but it shows how imposing the loco is!

Cheers,

Alex

Online msr

• Trade Count: (+15)
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2017, 08:40:05 am »
This is a really impressive project. However, the photos rather emphasise the growth lines produced by the 3D-printer. For some strange reason these appear to be vertical at the front but horizontal along the sides yet the printing of the body appears to have been in one go. Is this correct or were the ends printed separately?

It also appears as though the rivet detail has disappeared along the sides. The rivets were clear on the CAD so have they been rubbed off as the bodywork was sanded or did the printer miss them?

In retrospect, do you think the appearance might have been better if the CAD had been submitted for printing with the body vertical rather than horizontal so that the print lines come out vertically on the finished product?

Offline Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2017, 08:43:48 am »
FUD production is a funny thing and Shapeways will rotate an item to optimise space.

The ultra fine FUD now available will be a lot better but more expensive so not for prototyping.

Offline PeteT

• Awards
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2017, 07:01:24 am »
Hi Alex. Wonderful work.
I have been fascinated by the Leader since seeing the original at Brighton where I went to school.
I would love to have a go at building one. Are the parts available either from you or Shapeways?
Regards
Pete Townsend

Offline surfaceman

• N Gauge Society Number: 20579
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2017, 09:06:12 pm »
Hello all,

Thanks for the comments, I see it has divided opinion already haha!

I have been searching for wheels and am struggling to find any so if anyone has any they are willing to sell or might know of a source of such I would be very grateful indeed if you could let me know! :thankyousign:

Cheers,

Alex

For what it is worth ... IIRC the wheels are the same diameter as those used on the Q1.

Alex

Offline Bob G

• N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2017, 10:48:03 pm »
I think it looks OK even with Class 40 wheels.
It will only sit about 1mm higher and at what cost?

(my pragmatism coming in here - known to get me into trouble with rivet counters)

Bob

Online Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2017, 10:44:20 am »
By my reckoning it will fit ok on a class 47 chassis and you wont see much of the wheels anyway they are covered by the huge chain covers I have tried the card kit on the 47 and it might not be absolutely spot on but then Im not a perfectionist.and my eyes are getting old ,of course when Alex brings the kit out he will.make a fantastic job but then it will be up to us to fit a chassis to the best of our ability and I think that mine will have the 47 chassis as I have a few anyway .
Alex only used the 40 chassis as he had one .I certainately wont attemt to fit spoked wheels thats way beyond my capability what ever chassis I use .
Alex said it will be at least another year before he even thinks about bringing it out for sale as he is away on a course for his Uni degree.
Cant wait for the year to go I really love unusual.locos.
Now we need someone to think how to convert some chassis and make a FELL  body kit.Now that will be a challenge allthough it had been done.with a lot of work .

Offline Bob G

• N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2017, 10:50:11 am »
Bob

I think Alex used the class 40 chassis to give the large forward overhang of the Bullied bogies and be able to use the Farish coupling boxes.
As you say, the wheels are mostly hidden.

I'm hoping there will be a glut of old class 40 chassis to come onto EBay when the new Farish 40 is released.

Regards
Bob

Online Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2017, 11:11:22 am »
Bob G you might be right there but I think a 47 will be easier to get hold of and you can allways make up a simple wire hook.on one end if the coupling is too short if I could I would put a picture of my card kit on here to show you roughly how it fits but I cant remember how to.send a photo ,isnt old age a flaming nuisance.Me and technology never see eye to eye.
Bob Tidbury

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2017, 11:27:10 am »
I missed this thread, before. Another excellent job, Alex. Can I ask, please, where did you get the brass route discs from as I need a lot of these for fitting to my BR SR steam loco. models.

I hope, in the future, you'll be able to produce a B4 dock tank body in 3D to fit a suitable 0-4-0 chassis? I realise that this will not be for a year or so, but my 'need' for a B4 is not urgent. 8-)

Offline AR

• Awards
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2017, 01:08:36 am »
Hello all,

Thank you for the comments and interest!

As some of you may be aware, I am currently studying in Australia and have been very busy with essay writing, hence the lack of replies!

I aim to finish the 'Leader' when I get home in Summer 2018 and give it a first test run on Flordon as I didn't manage to before I left as I was busy organising my year abroad! Unfortunately, I have stopped CAD at the moment due to lots of work and IT issues! Before I left, however, I managed to do a few 'freehand' designs to fit Kato chassis which I will post on a new thread to keep things tidy (see link below).

Cheers,

Alex

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
October Donations

Advertise Here