!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Poppingham - a Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge  (Read 36139 times)

Offline Train Waiting

• Trade Count: (0)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
Re: Poppingham - a Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge
« Reply #930 on: Yesterday at 04:19:28 pm »
Tree Time

May I be so bold as to add a couple more suggestions which you may disregard or utilise as you wish.
Road vehicles - almost certainly not all to scale. I remember my layout as a 10/11 year old had vehicles of all shapes and sizes.
Trees - those heavy plastic green and brown monstrocities  set on round plastic bases the size of a three penny bit.

Thank you so much for this, Martin.  I had been thinking about trees from the 'normal' suppliers until I read your suggestion a couple of weeks ago.  You are correct, of course.  I got looking on the internet - the place for such things - and found these.  Are these close to what you had in mind?

They smell of balloons and the green bits go everywhere.  I'll need to give them a spray with the cheapest hairspray I can find to try to fix the 'foliage'.

I unpacked the trees carefully on a table covered in newspaper as I anticipated that it might be a messy business.  Fortunately, I was given expert assistance to undertake the delicate operation.

Many thanks for looking.

All the very best.

John and Poppy
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #931 on: Yesterday at 04:21:41 pm »
Just the job.
Especially the tangerine coloured ones. They are a dream  :D
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 05:09:55 pm by port perran »
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Online Mito

• Awards
« Reply #932 on: Yesterday at 08:38:39 pm »
I've been down that complex road too, American HO hand laid and track points. Interesting but got me nowhere fast.
Love the trees and expert helper. Real train set trees! :thumbsup:
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #933 on: Today at 09:35:42 am »
I've been down that complex road too, American HO hand laid and track points. Interesting but got me nowhere fast.
Love the trees and expert helper. Real train set trees! :thumbsup:

Just the job.
Especially the tangerine coloured ones. They are a dream  :D

Thank you very much for your comments, chaps.  Yes, Poppy was fascinated by the tangerine dream trees.  She thought that they would be ideal if we ever build a German layout.

Today's jobs; buying cheap and sticky hairspray (these self-service checkouts have their uses after all!), and cleaning out the vacuum cleaner.  I also have a further thought on simplicity and layouts which I might write on here - or maybe not!

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #934 on: Today at 10:11:35 am »
I fully agree with the comments about the trees shown and the importance of operating simplicity to maximise operator enjoyment. The wiring for DCC and lighting is quite enough complexity for me without adding electrically powered points. (There is only so much that can be crammed into a small underboard space.) DCC requires MANY power connections for smooth running and lighting (although 2mm lamps are massively overscale) makes a big difference for photographs, as shown in Martin's layouts.

I've always been a big Tangerine Dream fan. 8-)

Online Mito

• Awards
« Reply #935 on: Today at 04:51:15 pm »
Is Poppy not getting a little maternal the way she's snuggled round the "dreams", or is the paper more interesting?  :confused1:
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Online jamespetts

• Kittens and cake
    • Awards
« Reply #936 on: Today at 04:52:13 pm »
Your cat is very cute.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00