Bachmann 36-568 Decoders

Started by doug22150, May 06, 2017, 10:41:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doug22150

Has anyone else had problems with the new Bachmann 36-568 decoders? I've just installed two of these in BachFar Duchesses (having successfully completed running them in using DC power). In both cases the locos are completely dead after installation of the decoders and simply do not respond at all to DCC power. Previously, I had problems with a 36-568 after installation in a Farish 4F. In that case, both decoder and loco. were found to be faulty and were replaced by Bachmann. Have I just been unlucky with a 100% failure rate using these decoders?

jpendle

Quote from: escafeld on May 07, 2017, 01:07:19 AM
I have just fitted a Bachmann decoder to my Duchess, and it seems the decoder needs inserting with the chip facing downwards

Always a good plan to check which way is up on both the loco and decoder.
I have had similar problems as two locos from one manufacturer may require a different orientation of the same chip.

While DCC is a standard, the orientation of the socket for a 6 pin decoder is not.
Pins 1 through 6 always have the same function, but it gets confusing if the connector on the loco is upside down.

But on a very positive note you cannot damage a 6 pin chip this way as the power terminals are symmetrical.

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

doug22150

Thanks for those comments. I'll try reversing the chips although I did note from the blanking plugs before removal which side Pin 1 was. Pin 1 isn't marked on the chip but there is the picture showing the chip's "top", which should presumably face the same way as the top of the blanking plug, if you follow me.

Shropshire Lad

I thought that too.  The 'top' of the decoder goes face down!
Excellent decoders though :-)

doug22150

I have now flipped the decoders over as suggested and both locos now perform perfectly.  Sincere thanks for all you helpful comments. What a great forum this is!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations