!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: NGS AGM  (Read 2899 times)

Offline Lyttoncpr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 1312
    • Awards
NGS AGM
« on: May 04, 2017, 03:23:21 pm »
The AGM of the Society is on Sat 6th May at Cleethorpes Memorial Hall, Grimsby Rd, Cleethorpes, DN35 8AH. There will be the usual small exhibition and competition in the morning, and the business part in the afternoon. I hope to have Burnham-on-sea there and also a small stand selling stock from Lytton CPR. Hope to see some friends there. There may be more details on the new Society website but as a technophobe I haven't found them yet!   Alastair.

Offline jrb

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Aire Valley Railway Modellers' Club
    • Awards
Re: NGS AGM
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 09:52:15 am »
It looks like I might be able to make it to the AGM tomorrow, but I have some questions. There's no further info on the society website that I can see either.

In the latest NGS Newsletter, it states that the meeting starts at 2:30pm, but doesn't give a start time for the exhibition etc. in the morning. "Prior to the formal meeting" isn't particularly specific...

Also, what is parking like? I see from Google maps that the Memorial Hall has it's own car park, but is that usually busy? If it's full, where is best to try & park?

Edit: I'm sure I read another thread on the AGM a couple of days ago, but I'm damned if I can find it... Apologies if the info is there & I'm being thick.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 09:54:01 am by jrb »
I'm supporting Revolution Trains' Class 'B' project:

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS Vice President, Contributor to Model Rail
    • A Pendolino in N
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 12:28:27 pm »

Hi all,

Just in case anyone missed it in the dedicated thread, Farish have sent the NGS three of the EP1 samples of the forthcoming Carflat, and these will be on display for members to inspect.

Six models are being produced, in BR Bauxite (vac braked), BR Blue (vac braked), BR blue with motorail branding (vac braked and vac/air braked), BR Bauxite (air braked) and Railease yellow (air braked)

cheers

Ben A.

Offline jrb

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 02:00:50 pm »
It's a bit quiet here. Didn't really need to worry about parking!

Offline Cape Town Trev

• N Gauge Society Number: 7499
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 03:04:04 pm »
Any "earth shattering" news from the AGM?

Sitting in Cape Town the journal will take weeks if not two months to get here  :(

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 05:56:47 pm »
I appreciate many will be travelling back from the AGM, but I would echo what Trev says, any news or pics would be very much appreciated.

Roy

Offline jrb

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2017, 06:42:57 pm »
Nothing earth-shattering to report.

This was the first AGM I've attended (I only joined about 18 months ago) and I was definitely underwhelmed. It was the 50th anniversary so was originally supposed to be a part of something much bigger; maybe people didn't go because there wasn't much else. I don't know how many members normally attend but I did a quick head-count at the end, and there were less than forty members (excluding the committee). There were also a couple of people who came but didn't stay to the end. Out of ~5,500 members, I'd say that was a pretty poor turnout.

On a more positive note, it seems that the problems that occurred with the shop etc. a couple of years ago are well and truly done with now, and once the rest of the kits are sorted things should be back on track (no pun intended).

There was no decision on where next years will be held, as it seems the AGM is always 'hosted' by one of the area groups, and none of them have volunteered. The West Sussex group have expressed an interest but they're not definite.

Edit: Forgot to mention - I put a deposit down for my first Hunslet (the Esso red one). I'll be getting a second too, but not decided which one yet. Seems the orders are going well - they've received deposits for almost 500 already, with the Esso being the most popular at the moment.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 06:48:16 pm by jrb »

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS Vice President, Contributor to Model Rail
    • A Pendolino in N
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2017, 07:10:14 pm »

Hello all,

As I said earlier, I couldn't attend the AGM today due to other committments so thanks to JRB for updating.

It is tradition that the AGM is hosted by an area group, who also put on a paid-for exhibtion, and the area group then keeps a share of the receipts.  This happened when my own area group, Northants and Cambs, hosted the AGM in St Ives, Cambs, a few years ago.

However I can see that perhaps putting the onus on area groups is a little unfair, and perhaps the NGS should consider combining its AGM and the annual modelmaking competition with a reasonable N-orientated show at the same location each year, somewhere central so everyone, theoretically, can make it.

Incidentally, for those interested in the Hunslet shunter I have just received a couple of early CAD images which I will post in the Hunslet thread shortly.  They have also been sent to the webmaster for addition to the website.

Cheers

Ben A.

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2017, 09:13:31 pm »
I have to agree Ben.

While there may seem to be some logic to moving the AGM round the country to reach members, it is dependent on Area Groups to put something on. It does appear largely the same Groups who step up which means AGMs in similar locations. some perhaps not ideal for the majority. For example, in my case Cleethorpes and Conway are too far to make in a day so I don't go.

As far as I am concerned an AGM should be somewhere that makes it viable for as many members as possible to attend, a turnout of 40 at Cleethorpes certainly doesn't reflect that (no reflection on the Area Group who I am sure worked very hard to make it happen).

So yes, a more central location. You will never please everybody, but if by doing that you get more attendees it makes it worthwhile. Align it and AMC to an N oriented show? Possibly, but if a commercially run show like TINGS it might as well as the obvious plusses have a few minuses ( members only area and a conflict with Traders who have expensive pitches to cover if the NGS secondhand sales were present).

So are there ways around that or other options?

Roy

Offline Snowwolflair

• N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2017, 10:09:55 pm »
Was there any discussion or vote on the proposal to make the society a Limited company by guarantee?

Offline jrb

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2017, 10:55:39 pm »
Was there any discussion or vote on the proposal to make the society a Limited company by guarantee?

Yes, it was discussed.

There were IIRC in the region of 600 votes cast, and all but one were votes for. Those present then voted (unanimously) to accept the results of the ballot. It will be changed to a limited company by guarantee.

Offline Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2017, 12:40:03 am »
I do hope they know what they are doing.

Every area group will become a legal subsidiary of the N Gauge Society Limited and the office bearers of all the area groups will become liable under company law.

Offline thebrighton

• N Gauge Society Number: 11588
  • 2mm Association Number: 4483
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2017, 06:41:16 am »

Every area group will become a legal subsidiary of the N Gauge Society Limited and the office bearers of all the area groups will become liable under company law.

And if I recall correctly this was a route heavily pushed for by a certain chairman that left under a cloud!

Offline Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2017, 11:42:21 am »

And if I recall correctly this was a route heavily pushed for by a certain chairman that left under a cloud!

Its leaving in a black mariah I think they should be worried about. :doh:

Offline REGP

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19246
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2017, 08:17:35 pm »

I thought the guarantee was limited to 1=

Ray

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here