NEM pockets N Gauge

Started by john.lammin, May 02, 2017, 09:48:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

john.lammin

:confusedsign: Hi all. I`ve been trying to find out how to remove a coupler from an NEM pocket. Can`t seem to find the info anywhere. Some say you just pull out the old coupler and push in the new one. Is it as simple as that? I have N gauge wagons & coaches.

Bealman

G'day from Australia, mate, and welcome to the NGF!  :thumbsup:

I would have thought that it would be as simple as that, but our members will set you right.

Welcome!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Steven B

Yes, it's as simple as pulling the old one out and pushing the new one in its place.

You may find that pulling first one side clip, then the other makes it come out easier. Also, be aware that whilst there's a standard for the NEM coupling pocket that different manufacturers can end up at different ends of the tolerance scale meaning some couplings might be a very tight fit whilst others are very loose. Fortunately Dapol and Farish versions are reasonably consistent.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Dr Al

Quote from: john.lammin on May 02, 2017, 09:48:21 AM
Some say you just pull out the old coupler and push in the new one. Is it as simple as that?

Yes. It is that simple.

But not all stock is NEM fitted. Older designs can use a hinged coupler (Peco's Elsie) or sprung couplers which sit in a coupling box and don't pull out. So you do need to check that the piece of stock in question is an NEM one before pulling on it!

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

njee20

I recommend holding the pocket too, otherwise you can pull it out of its 'guide' where fitted on some stock - Dapol mk3s are bad for it.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations