!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Escafeld Midland (I must be mad)  (Read 1785 times)

Offline escafeld

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Escafeld Midland (I must be mad)
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2017, 12:01:10 am »
Small update on the planning stage.

I have been using the poster prints and worked out most of the points sizes required. I am going to need 37 points, 2 crossovers and 1 double slip. I will also need 7 slip points, I'm not sure whether to just model a static representation of these or to actually model working slips. I'll be deciding that after I have built a few of the fiNetrax points.  I'm also going to need approx. 28 meters of track. These figures are just for station area.

I still have to sort out the hidden storage sidings but I'm currently intending to use peco code 55 track and possibly 3 way points.

I've also spent some time searching/looking at photos of Sheffield station in the 1970's and identified the signals that I will need (16 * 3 aspect and 1 * 2 aspect) and 15 ground signals. These have all been marked on the posters

The next stage is to order the points required for the southern end of the station and 20 meters of track

I will also be finalising the baseboard sizes. I'm currently thinking of 8 baseboards, 3 for the station, 1 at each end and then 3 for the storage sidings

Offline escafeld

• Awards
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2017, 05:38:30 pm »
Some of the colour signals at Sheffield are not always where you would expect them to be.

Platform 1 at the southern end showing a 3 aspect signal on the ground and a 3 aspect signal hidden under the platform canopy

Platform 1 showing a 3 aspect signal fixed to the footbridge. The footbridge furthest away also has a 3 aspect signal on the other side.

Platform 2 showing that a station light had to be removed when they installed colour signals but didn't remove the lamp post just the light (BR saving money?)

The research I have been doing has been enormously helped by all those rail/photography enthusiasts who have been so kind and uploaded there photos on the internet for all to see. Without them it would have been the old fashioned way of searching through books from the period being modelled. 

Offline AndyRA

• N Gauge Society Number: 3048
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2017, 07:18:58 pm »
The Lamp post is still serving a useful purpose, the stations signs are still attached to it  ;D

Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

Andy.
If it looks difficult it probably is, but might as well get on with it anyway!

Layout :- West Coast (Southern Section)
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;cat=2531;u=5731

Full story and pics at:-
https://www.flickr.com/photos/8888017@N08/albums/72157673002148172

Offline Steamie+

• N Gauge Society Number: 26963
  • N Gauge is part of my life. :)
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2017, 07:09:17 am »
This layout of yours is going to be very impressive, especially with all that research you are doing @escafeld, 8 baseboards is going to be huge, i bow to your skills in making this layout, i can’t wait to see more on it.  Happy Modelling  escafeld.     :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
:toot: :A1Tornado: :Carriage: :Carriage:

Offline RichardBattersby

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22678
  • 2mm Association Number: 5151
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2017, 09:26:55 am »
I agree, I love what you're doing and how you're going about it. Living in Sheffield, it's of particular interest to me. I think it'll look tremendous with Finetrax too. I'm not sure if you're local but if you need any current pictures taking I can nip down to get some for you. Good work!
Richard
Askham Battersby MKII - Steam / Diesel Modular Loft Layout

"We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing."

Offline LeftToMyOwnDevices

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25806
  • …and left to my own devices... I probably would...
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2017, 01:10:29 am »
Escafeld,

I really do think you are really quite sane…! :)

Have been really impressed with your research methods – and the ‘poster print’ you got made. :thumbsup:

For my own plans (which I’m not quite ready to publish, just yet…), I have been using very similar methods. To get the station plan part, of my proposed layout, I was lucky that I was able to go to the NLS (National Library of Scotland) website and get a full track plan of the actual station – and the station is not even in Scotland! :goggleeyes:

This source (NLS) had been prompted by an article I had read in the NGS Journal, a few months back. Whilst I’ve not yet printed my plan out at full ‘N gauge size’, I have been able to work out that it will fit where I think it might go…

Mind you, if I do publish my plans (in a separate thread), you might just want to start to question my own sanity…! :(

All the very best with your plans…
…you are inspiring me to keep going with my own plans.

Charles.
"Underground, Overground: Our friends Electric"

Offline escafeld

• Awards
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2017, 06:05:00 pm »
Over the last couple of days I've had my first attempt at building a fiNetrax turnout (101 components so far). I had ordered a couple of B8 turnouts 18 months ago and never built them. I don't need them I've for my current plan so these were ideal for practising with.

The turnout kits are excellent quality and the parts I've constructed were reasonably easy. They are a bit fiddly due to the small parts involved but using a magnifier makes it easier. I wasn't sure about whether the cast frog looked right (although I'm sure it would have been ok with the a touch of dark paint between the 'rails') so I decided to try using rail for the crossing. I was surprised how easy this was. I constructed a small filling jig to help with filling the crossing nose to get the correct angle. The only changes to the kit were using 2 Check Rail Chairs either side of the crossing nose to support the wing rails next to the frog and bending the switch rails in the correct places. The check rail chairs nearest to the crossing nose had the inside lug removed.

Other changes I've made are extending the check rails by two sleepers as they are 7 sleepers long at Sheffield and filling a taper on the ends of the check rails rather than bending  (again this is how the turnouts are at Sheffield).   

Everything on the turnout is just lose fitted (no solvent) at the moment so it could be completely disassembled. In the pictures the bottom check rail has moved slightly

Still to complete is soldering the crossing nose (I'll need to make a small jig for this), wiring (I've yet to decide on the method of attaching wires) and the tie bar. For the tie bar I'm going to try using the 'film strip' method using thin tufnol. 

Although I've constructed the turnout differently to how it was designed to be made, I haven't used anything that wasn't supplied in the kit. For anybody considering a new layout I would recommend that they consider using fiNetrax.

Offline austinbob

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23835
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2017, 06:21:13 pm »
You're very  brave attempting that but you seem totally in control and I'm sure your gonna end up with a good result.
The only track building I've done is EM Gauge - twice the size. However I got great satisfaction from building my own track.
Look forward to seeing further progress.
 :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Offline escafeld

• Awards
« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2017, 06:38:21 pm »
You're very  brave attempting that but you seem totally in control and I'm sure your gonna end up with a good result.
The only track building I've done is EM Gauge - twice the size. However I got great satisfaction from building my own track.
Look forward to seeing further progress.
 :beers:

Totally agree about getting great satisfaction from building the track and I actually found it quite relaxing.

The pegged chairs that are used with fiNetrax make it easy to assemble. I wouldn't have wanted to construct track using copper clad sleepers and solder so a big thanks must go to @Wayne Kinney for developing the fiNetrax system.

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2017, 07:05:00 pm »
Looks good! Agree the rail frog looks better than the cast one!

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2017, 08:55:57 pm »
I salute your attention to detail. Any rivet counter should move over - here comes the sleeper counter! ;D

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £87.00
Above Goal: £32.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
June Donations

Advertise Here
anything