New livery Class 86s announced

Started by StufromEGDL, April 18, 2017, 05:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acko22

Quote from: Skyline2uk on April 18, 2017, 09:32:47 PM
I personally believe this may be indicative of the Dapol N strategy for the foreseeable future; re-offering existing models in new liveries. The idea (purely an assumption on my part) being to build up some cash using paid for tooling.

Does make business sense if WE are after other liveries of a model they already do then it would be stupid not too! I am after all by the IC livery so I am a happy boy well that's if I get in there fast enough to at least get some i am after!
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

NeMo

Quote from: njee20 on April 18, 2017, 10:14:32 PM
Quote from: NeMo on April 18, 2017, 09:09:19 PM
The BR blue Class 86 is certainly welcome, though for the price, £93.95, it's not much cheaper than the limited edition BR blue ones sold through C&M Models some years back
Why would it be?

At the time the C&M blue 86/2 was a limited edition run. Selling price was over the £100 mark, when the standard Dapol 86s (mostly 86/4s) were around £70-80, and of course regularly discounted to well below that.

For some reason the BR blue 86/2s were not a strong seller for C&M, and it took them several years to sell them all. Hopefully this second batch will sell better, but I guess modelling the 1980s WCML scene is rather less widely done than modelling the contemporary WCML. Of course this has been discussed endlessly, but at least with the modern WCML you've got a good range of EMUs either in production (Class 350) or on the way (Classes 319, 321 and 390) whereas there's really nothing appropriate to the 1980s WCML beyond diesel traction.

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

railsquid

Quote from: NeMo on April 19, 2017, 06:16:55 AM
Quote from: njee20 on April 18, 2017, 10:14:32 PM
Quote from: NeMo on April 18, 2017, 09:09:19 PM
The BR blue Class 86 is certainly welcome, though for the price, £93.95, it's not much cheaper than the limited edition BR blue ones sold through C&M Models some years back
Why would it be?

At the time the C&M blue 86/2 was a limited edition run. Selling price was over the £100 mark, when the standard Dapol 86s (mostly 86/4s) were around £70-80, and of course regularly discounted to well below that.

For some reason the BR blue 86/2s were not a strong seller for C&M, and it took them several years to sell them all. Hopefully this second batch will sell better, but I guess modelling the 1980s WCML scene is rather less widely done than modelling the contemporary WCML. Of course this has been discussed endlessly, but at least with the modern WCML you've got a good range of EMUs either in production (Class 350) or on the way (Classes 319, 321 and 390) whereas there's really nothing appropriate to the 1980s WCML beyond diesel traction.
Part of the problem is that possibly potential buyers weren't aware that there was a limited edition only available from a certain supplier? I remember when entering N gauge a couple of years back not finding any evidence that BR blue 86s existed and only found out (via this forum) where they could be obtained, a few months after they'd sold their last one.

Availability of suitable EMUs regardless, I shall purchase one, because BR blue is my preferred era and the "modern" stuff is all strange to me. Also I believe there are kits or whatever to create at least some earlier WCML EMUs, not that I'm likely to get round to it in the near future.

njee20

I understand what you're saying NeMo, but still not sure why they should be markedly (if at all) cheaper than the C&M models, when everything else has moved on. Indeed I'm surprised at the pricing, which seems very competitive. I guess it's reflective of the poor sales in certain liveries.

I think the 86 was a slow burner - I picked up 213 in IC Swallow for £50 from Kernow incidentally, when they were clearing them out. Demand obviously then sky rocketed and they were going for 3 times that. It's a bit of a sad indictment that people perhaps expect subsequent, high demand runs to reflect the poor popularity of some of the original liveries.

StufromEGDL

Hi Guys;

I agree with Dr Al earlier that 86213 is a poor choice as it has already been don, albeit in IC Swallow livery. However, it's not the end of the world to renumber and rename....hopefully, if plates are fitted, they will come off easily with no damage.  I can feel an 86224 Caledonian coming on with larger numbers and red bufferbeams.
86216 in BR Blue lends itself to easy renumbering and will complement the C&M models previously released. With a short name (Meteor), that shouldnt cause too many drams for renaming either.
I just wonder if 86401 in Caley Blue (and I hope that they name it properly as Mon's Meg) will be the poor seller that 86401 in NSE previously was. I suspect that 86259 will also prove to be a niche model.

So, definately a couple of IC, one (at least) BR Blue and one Caley Blue...then I'll wait to see what gets discounted!!!

Does anyone have any idea when they might arrive?

Later;
STU from EGDL
A selection of my pictures, real & model ARE NOW to be found at...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/swidnod/

I always find things in the last place I look. weird huh??

railsquid

NeMo

Quote from: njee20 on April 19, 2017, 07:36:48 AM
I understand what you're saying NeMo, but still not sure why they should be markedly (if at all) cheaper than the C&M models, when everything else has moved on.

I think you're looking to win an argument where there isn't one. I don't disagree with you. I was merely observing how the price of a special edition when they first came out is now the standard pricing for a basic model. That's all!

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

Steven B

Hattons have Class 86/2 86213 "Lancashire Witch" listed as Intercity Executive but show a loco in Intercity Swallow livery.

I wonder which it will be. Hopefully I/C Exec to save me a repaint!

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

robert shrives

A good selection and as seen on the Dapol digest pages, all get my collecting vote

Robert

Intercity

I would have thought an RES one would have been in there, especially with the amount of places those things would pop up on passenger, Mail, excursion work, I recall the sleepers out of Euston were regularly pulled by them on the ECS moves to Wembley, they even had one in Intercity livery with small res flashes under the cab (should be an easy alteration), 86 208 was the one

red_death

Dapol did a RES liveried 86 previously didn't they - it hung around on the shelves for ages.  I think the point was to try and do liveries they haven't done before (BR blue apart).

Cheers, Mike

scruff

Quote from: Dr Al on April 18, 2017, 10:59:40 PM
Poor poor choice of 86213 in IC Exec - they've already done '213 in Swallow!!! Could they not have chose a different number!!

Sounds cheapskate, so they can reuse print or nameplates.

Cheers,
Alan

I brought this up on the Dapol Digest this afternoon.. hopefully Dapol will respond.

Cheers
Mark

acko22

Quote from: red_death on April 19, 2017, 04:20:42 PM
Dapol did a RES liveried 86 previously didn't they - it hung around on the shelves for ages.
Cheers, Mike

Yes they did Hattons had a load so I got a couple to add to my collection of err a few class 86s (20 of them!!  :-[ ) There is only one livery that I would have liked to have been done which is the Colas livery which is 86701, but it lasted for a heartbeat so I can totally understand why dapol aren't willing to have a gamble on that one!

But nothing a repaint cant sort out at some stage!
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

Intercity

I didn't realize they did it, another one to add to my search list, they don't come up that often, and when they do prices seem to be through the roof, Intercity ones seem to be quite rare on the open market too

njee20

Quote from: NeMo on April 19, 2017, 09:16:45 AM
Quote from: njee20 on April 19, 2017, 07:36:48 AM
I understand what you're saying NeMo, but still not sure why they should be markedly (if at all) cheaper than the C&M models, when everything else has moved on.

I think you're looking to win an argument where there isn't one. I don't disagree with you. I was merely observing how the price of a special edition when they first came out is now the standard pricing for a basic model. That's all!

Nope, just trying to understand your perspective, which you've explained :)

Quote from: Intercity on April 19, 2017, 05:59:20 PM
I didn't realize they did it, another one to add to my search list, they don't come up that often, and when they do prices seem to be through the roof, Intercity ones seem to be quite rare on the open market too

I think like many of them they sold poorly initially, and then the market woke up to them and demand soared, but many had already sold out by then.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations