!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: New BR/NSE Layout 8'6" x 2'2"  (Read 2086 times)

Offline Dave Z

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: New BR/NSE Layout 8'6" x 2'2"
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2017, 07:27:32 pm »
Small amount of progress today.  Have added the backscene support;

And, hopefully, a video;

Was hoping to have my replacement Capital Connection pack and TMC weathered class 37 by now but looks like it'll be Monday.

Have got quite a few other bits to do.  I have a few Scenecraft low relief shops which, together with a road bridge, will provide a scenic break on the right side of the layout.  I also have a Metcalfe red brick bridge and wall set which I will use to create a short section of disused railway passing over the layout on the left side as another scenic break.  I collected some NSE red paint from a local business earlier and will start making some station furniture with it.  Have some 3D printed benches, matchsticks and scalescenes NSE signage all waiting to be used.

Online newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+53)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2017, 08:15:01 pm »
Dave - I don't know whether you're intending to paint the backscene or stick a proprietary printed one on, but I really would recommend either making curves or diagonals of the 90 degree corners at each end. It does make a huge difference.

Offline MrDobilina

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2017, 08:17:26 pm »
Looks great! Trains are going backwards though haha  ;D

Offline Dave Z

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2017, 09:09:31 pm »
Dave - I don't know whether you're intending to paint the backscene or stick a proprietary printed one on, but I really would recommend either making curves or diagonals of the 90 degree corners at each end. It does make a huge difference.
I'll be sticking a photo printed backscene.  They're closer to 45 degree corners but I'm looking at a couple of options to smooth this out  :thumbsup:

Looks great! Trains are going backwards though haha  ;D
D'oh, well spotted.  Must've brought them out of the fiddle yard the wrong way round  :-[

Offline scottishlocos

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2017, 12:44:21 pm »
Dave

Nice layout coming along well are you going to run freight trains too

Dave

Offline Dave Z

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2017, 07:43:44 pm »
Dave

Nice layout coming along well are you going to run freight trains too

Dave

Yes, though not quite as prominently as my previous layout.  I have some Cargowaggon ferry wagons in the fiddle yard and a couple of nuclear flasks.  More will come as funds allow. 

Today I received a lovely Farish 37 from TMC.  Heavily weathered with parts pack fitted one end.  I had this one earmarked for my pre-weathered 'works' train of sorts although now I have it hooked up it makes the carriage weathering look a bit half-arsed.  Another RTC carriage on the way as came into stock today.

Online Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2017, 07:59:36 pm »
It's coming along very quickly.  I wish I had the time that you have!  *jealous*  :D

Offline Dave Z

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2017, 08:52:54 pm »
It's coming along very quickly.  I wish I had the time that you have!  *jealous*  :D
Be prepared for an abrupt halt!  I've just had to drop 2k for the new decking in my garden so all non-essential spending will be curtailed for a while.  Got quite a few cheap bits I will try and get on with.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2017, 12:05:16 pm »
The class 37 looks a cracker, glad you took delivery before the decking bill hit the mat!

Offline Dave Z

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2017, 08:24:41 pm »
My replacement Capital Connection pack arrived today at last!

'Great Eastern', this time with working engine.

With it's rake of mk1 and mk2 carriages.

Couple of quick videos for toothpaste fans!

Online Tank

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2017, 09:04:57 pm »
Great video's. :thumbsup:   :drool:

Offline Dave Z

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2017, 07:10:53 pm »
Well, it has been a good few weeks of no progress and unfortunately I have come to the decision that I can no longer continue with model railways for the foreseeable future.  We're now 3 months away from baby no 2 arriving and my resources of time and money are not really compatible with continuing this layout.  It has always felt like a bit of a last ditch effort after we knew we were expecting to keep going.  I think the final nail was after I spent nearly 2 hours rearranging the hobby/spare room for a guest who stayed over at the weekend (and then another hour putting everything back this morning).  I don't have the room for a layout of any decent size without seriously compromising the practicality of my home so maybe is better to call it a day until I'm lucky enough to have a house big enough (or the kids have grown up and buggered off!).

I've probably got half of chance of selling the layout in it's current raw form so it will be on eBay in the next hour or so.  Will also be selling my GM Prodigy Advance 2, Woodland Scenics Just Plug lighting set, engine shed and Farish DRS class 37.  Will post links later if anyone is interested.  For now I'm holding on to my remaining stock as I have half an idea to create a static shelf diorama.  Only around 4ft by 6in and strictly for display only.  Once I've decided what items from my stock I want on that display I'll probably sell the rest. 

Thanks to all that have followed this and my previous build and to all who have helped me over the past few years.  I will certainly be hanging around and I hope in the not too distant future I can share progress on something new.

Online Tank

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2017, 07:16:29 pm »
Sorry Ron hear that you're having to sell up.  :(  I hope you can keep some models at least.

Offline Dave Z

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2017, 07:50:47 pm »
Sorry Ron hear that you're having to sell up.  :(  I hope you can keep some models at least.

Who's Ron?  ;D

I will definitely be keeping some.  I think at a minimum the NSE Capital Connection pack plus some extra coaches and a train to ride behind my BR LL 37 which has been weathered.  I have other models (F1 cars, WRC cars, planes) on display around the house so I think a small scenic shelf display of trains might fit in quite well.  Something around 48"x6" would be pretty straightforward to build when wiring and electrics aren't involved.  I already have enough spare track, ballast, trees, low relief buildings and other materials to put something like that together.

Link if anyone is interested in the layout;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152565309065?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 07:53:16 pm by Dave Z »

Online newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+53)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2017, 08:17:22 pm »
It's very rare for our lives to be static, especially when children become involved so it's a shame you're having to sell up but there are more important things to take care of at present. Never say never, and I hope all goes well for the arrival of baby number 2.
All the best, Dave.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £70.00
Above Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
127% 
September Donations

Advertise Here
anything