who will take on the class 50 now?

Started by bluedepot, March 19, 2017, 06:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njee20

That was what I thought on next 18 - you get more than 2 functions, so we can have cab lighting, independent head and tail lights etc without re-wiring.

I was going to buy a CJM 92 a couple of years ago. I skipped up to his stand at Warley with my cash (metaphorically) in hand, but actually when I looked at the model I was underwhelmed - mainly the printed, unglazed light clusters let the front end down IMO. For the money I want perfection, and it wasn't perfect, indeed I decided a RTR 'mainstream' model would likely be better (and now there's one coming), and I'd personally be gutted that my £800 loco (weathered, detailed, DCC etc) was surpassed by something at 15% of the cost.

davidinyork

Quote from: njee20 on October 01, 2017, 01:04:03 PM
That was what I thought on next 18 - you get more than 2 functions, so we can have cab lighting, independent head and tail lights etc without re-wiring.

I was going to buy a CJM 92 a couple of years ago. I skipped up to his stand at Warley with my cash (metaphorically) in hand, but actually when I looked at the model I was underwhelmed - mainly the printed, unglazed light clusters let the front end down IMO. For the money I want perfection, and it wasn't perfect, indeed I decided a RTR 'mainstream' model would likely be better (and now there's one coming), and I'd personally be gutted that my £800 loco (weathered, detailed, DCC etc) was surpassed by something at 15% of the cost.

I guess the thing with CJM models is that when he started out with them, they were streets ahead of what was available from mass-producing manufacturers, but since then the RTR manufacturers have really upped their game - an RTR model will never be as detailed out of the box as a bespoke one, but given the price difference most will be happy with modern RTR offerings, especially if they want lighting, etc, which the CJM models don't have. Most CJM models now have a modern RTR equivalent (or will have when the 50 and 92 appear) - the only one which won't is the 89, and he doesn't appear to produce that any more in any case.

Skyline2uk

Not to annoy anybody, but maybe this thread is nearing its end (naturally, not rudeness has been shown at all)?

I say that as we (hopefully) have an answer to the op question: Dapol.

And I am intrigued by the questions coming up from the previous couple of posts, and I am about to drift further from the thread title....

For 20 years, I wanted a CJM. I saw a picture of the 92 in an NGS Journal which belonged to my friends dad and at the age of 9 I wanted one. Very badly.

For me it was a combination of relative rarity / exclusivity ("cheque book modelling") and wanting a high standard model of a prototype that Farish was not showing any signs of doing.

As the years went by the added fact of Chris retiring in 2018 lent another "piece of history" element to the wanting factor. Finally, as some will know, in 2014 I was lucky enough to obtain my example 92022 from the generousity of friends and family.

Since then, Revolution have of course announced their 92 at a much lower price point and no doubt a much better spec. However, not as 92022, and building on what Nobby said, my two Revolution models won't be cheap enough to give me the confidence (yet) to re-number / decal one. I am moving towards making and painting my own models, but I am not there yet.

Skyline2uk

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations