!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: BHE & Langley Urie & Maunsell 4-6-0s mix and match  (Read 1151 times)

Online kiwi1941

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 11394
    • Awards
Re: BHE & Langley Urie & Maunsell 4-6-0s mix and match
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2017, 06:10:03 am »
Could you post a photo of your S15 here...?
Will do, B
Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty." Wendell Phillips.

Eternal paranoia is the price of liberty: vigilance is not enough. Len Deighton.

Offline CarriageShed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24383
  • Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2017, 10:59:09 pm »
Keeping this interesting subject going (for me at least), I've got a King Arthur in BR colours which is going to be entering the paint shop soon to turn in back into a Maunsell Green SR loco. Then it'll need le-lettering and numbering, but does anyone produce the red cab plates?

This is the thing I mean:

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2017, 12:18:53 pm »
I've not found any so far, I usually simulate one with either a dab of red paint or cut one from sticky label printed red, the lettering is so small as to be hardly worth trying to copy,  however I might try doing some with lettering and then shrink  before printing. Maybe look for a decent photo of one and doing a bit of editing.

Cabside lining is fiddly at best, so maybe try a complete  cabside and stick it on.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 12:21:20 pm by Dorsetmike »
Cheers MIKE

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline CarriageShed

• Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2017, 12:07:05 pm »
Actually, I do have a Bradley book - Locomotives of the LSWR Part 2. Just realised it was in my 'new buys' section and I hadn't got around to reading it yet.

It seems to suggest that S15 No 515 still had a stovepipe chimney, at least until it went in to have a Maunsell superheater fitted in 1931. If that's true then I'm going to have to replace the S15 kit's chimney.

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2017, 05:42:19 pm »
Just to add to this thread,

The Fleischmann 716x chassis wheels are actually a bit small, scaling about 5'2" against prototype 5'7", the Farish B1 wheels scale 5'8". However the Langley S15 kit is a reasonable fit for the Fleischmann, so if you already have the Langley then the B1 will make a passable H15 (6'.0") when alongside your Fleischmann chassis S15. If abandoning the Fleischmann chassis then the BHE N15 tender with a UM drive works. (anyway the watercart with the Langlet kit is only correct for some S15s between 1934 and mid 1950s - use it behind a UM T9 or scratch built Drummond 4-4-0)

To use a Farish B1 (372-078 or 079) The BHE or Langley body will need a bit of filing (or attack with abrasive in minidrill) also remove the Farish weight, the white metal body is heavy enough! It's a split frame chassis so that makes it fairly easy to mate with a UM drive, the wheels that connect to the back end of the chassis  pick up from the same side as the UM tender so you need to turn the UM wheels over, alternatively connect a wire from the other side of the loco to the UM tender. I had hoped that the B1 tender could be used but it's a fraction long plus you need to remove the PCBs to reduce height.

Cheers MIKE

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline CarriageShed

• Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2017, 10:28:12 am »
For the S15 I'll be sticking with the Langley loco body on Fleischmann chassis, and the BHE tender on a UM drive.

The B1 news is interesting though. It certainly gives me an alternative to hunting out a Minitrix chassis when I get around to doing an H15.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here