!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Claymill Colliery  (Read 546 times)

Offline GoodsYard

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Claymill Colliery
« on: March 13, 2017, 09:06:13 pm »
Alright well here goes, this is my first real venture into a real fixed layout in N Gauge having owned a few Grafar loco's over the years I decided to build this grand layout of my dreams... and then came me moving out of my lovely spacious room and into the cramped square box that they call University Student Halls. Having been here a good few months I decided to perhaps try to build something, not as grand or massive as my previous idea but something I could neatly tuck away after I had finished and could then use my desk for other things such as work. So after seeing the wonderful ideas that were in the box file section of this forum I set my sights on grabbing two old box files and joining them together to create a basis for my layout, then of course came the planning for it, what would it be?
Well to put my idea, in short, its a Colliery shunting/loading yard of sorts with 2 loading sidings, a main through line and a siding, which I feel would be suited to display some of my engines that are unfortunately non-runners.

So with the idea formed and the box files in my possession it was time to start.
beginning

(I apologise for the sketchiness of the layout so far)

The bottom siding is awaiting a curved piece of track to put it parallel with the others.

This is the layout with the majority of the buildings I aim to use added to it.

The loco's of the layout; Minitrix 2f awaiting a repaint into the right shade of blue (non-runner but has been stripped out), Grafar Holden Tank (motor works but the drive mechanism is playing up so it's a non-runner for now), An unknown kit built Dock Tank (average runner), Another Grafar Holden in BR black (non-runner) And finally my  Grafar Austerity in NCB Blue (superb runner)

Although I'm thinking of repainting these engines into the NCB Blue of the same type of the Austerity, I have been thinking of painting them into the maroon livery that some NCB areas had.

But anyway that's it for me, I'd love to hear your suggestions and feedback and I'll check back in with frequent updates of the layout build.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 06:47:10 pm by GoodsYard »

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: My Box File Layout (as yet untitled Colliery)
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 09:23:22 pm »
Hi GoodsYard, and welcome to the forum :wave:

That looks a neat job. Will you be having additional box files attachable at each end so you can have 'through running'?
I think the loco shed at the left looks somewhat out of place with no lines into/out of it so maybe you can find or scratchbuild an extension to your colliery in its place :hmmm:

Offline GoodsYard

• Awards
Re: My Box File Layout (as yet untitled Colliery)
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 09:33:19 pm »
Hi GoodsYard, and welcome to the forum :wave:

That looks a neat job. Will you be having additional box files attachable at each end so you can have 'through running'?
I think the loco shed at the left looks somewhat out of place with no lines into/out of it so maybe you can find or scratchbuild an extension to your colliery in its place :hmmm:
Thank you for the warm welcome and indeed I aim to have a fiddle yard on each end to allow the use of through-running trains and yes the Loco shed is a placeholder for a scratch built boiler room and chimney which I am currently in the process of making and as for that dreadful looking Lyddle End headstock that's a placeholder for a Modelux Hedstock that I've been waiting for two months to arrive in the post.... But thank you for your feedback I appreciate it.

Offline port perran

• Awards
Re: Box File Layout (as yet untitled Colliery)
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 07:47:17 am »
Welcome aboard.
Looking good.
Maybe I've misunderstood-will you be running tracks into that loco shed?
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Trepol Bay :
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=1392
Port Perran :
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=1004

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 08:05:59 am »
G'day from Australia, buddy, and your plans look great.

Welcome to the NGF!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline GoodsYard

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 12:39:25 pm »
Welcome aboard.
Looking good.
Maybe I've misunderstood-will you be running tracks into that loco shed?

Not in my plans in afraid, it's just their at the moment to look like a warehouse, I was thinking of adding a loco shed for the non runners but I'm not so sure

G'day from Australia, buddy, and your plans look great.

Welcome to the NGF!  :thumbsup:

And thank you for the warm welcome and the kind words :)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 12:41:12 pm by GoodsYard »

Offline PolarStar

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 08:25:11 pm »
Looking good go for it 

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• N Gauge Society Number: 26830
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2017, 09:01:22 am »
Looking forward to seeing further development.

Offline GoodsYard

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2017, 04:37:40 pm »
Sorry for the lengthy delay in updating this thread having just wrapped up university for this year, I've found myself with a lot of free time which means work can continue on my box file layout. Having redone the trackwork to suit a more modular approach with the shifting of the track and the "coal sheets/loader" into something which will enable me to add more box files on either end in the future making it almost a layout that can keep getting added to.

The middle Truck here has some of Fox Transfer's NCB Lettering which will be seen on all of my waggons in future updates

The rail plan has changed and the buildings will also be swapped out for the scratch built low relief buildings that I am currently building, if anybody has any tips/ideas on scratch building low relief buildings please let me know.

My Beetle and Scammell are the current vehicles on the layout but there will, of course, be some more scattered about in future updates.

My unknown kit built Dock Tank sits just before the points looking smart in its new colour and with the lettering applied now just to apply the numbers.

My two dummy locomotives The Minitrix 2f and the Grafar Holden Boh in need of new chassis which I will get round to buying but for now they have both been painted up in the Matt Dark Blue colour which the rest of my locos have with the Holden yet to have its transfers applied to it. Once again the buildings are placeholders for when I'm finally able to finish my low relief prototypes but I just thought I'd place them there to give a brief idea of what is to come from the Colliery Layout. But thank you for all your kind feedback and I promise I'll do another update soon.

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
Re: Claymill Colliery
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2017, 08:41:47 pm »

if anybody has any tips/ideas on scratch building low relief buildings please let me know.

Not that I've built any but what do you need to know? If you intend to put lighting in them make sure you plan ahead and put floors in them plus black out to prevent light seepage from corners etc.
Make sure there's room between buildings and trackwork for those extra details that take the eye away from the fact the buildings are low relief whilst maintaining as much building depth as you can.
If you have a warehouse then a track running into it is no bad idea as has been suggested.
Just some thoughts.

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• N Gauge Society Number: 26830
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2017, 10:10:47 pm »
A much more interesting track layout for shunting purposes.  Looking good.  I'm looking forward to seeing this progress.

in terms of low relief, in N I've only really chopped kits in half or made 'flat relief' buildings to represent flat roofs or buildings which have roofs sloping down from the viewed side.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 10:12:45 pm by Jeremy Edwards »

Offline GoodsYard

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2017, 02:00:55 am »
Thanks for the advice it has really helped me to build some new additions to the layout, some more close to finished than others but anyway I couldn't resist posting a quick update on how the buildings are coming along.

Now time to crack on finishing these buildings off. Thanks for reading and I'm sure another update will follow soon!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 03:01:15 am by GoodsYard »

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2017, 07:34:49 am »
That's looking really good.
Keep the pictures coming
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Trepol Bay :
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=1392
Port Perran :
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=1004

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2017, 09:52:07 am »
That's looking really good.
Keep the pictures coming

Agreed, and I'm looking forward to seeing the layout get really filthy :D

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2017, 09:57:09 am »
Looking great!  :thumbsup:

I too have one of those blue NCB Poole saddle tanks, which also runs well.... even though there's bright sparking inside!!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £87.00
Above Goal: £32.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
June Donations

Advertise Here