DJM Announcement - Crowdfunding King Class

Started by guest2, March 13, 2017, 03:16:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

An email announcement I received from Dave Jones:-

I've decided to go ahead with this, to gauge serious intent from the N gauge community.  Therefore I'm going live today and the sign-ups will have until Sunday 17th June 2017 to register an interest.

The 5 models chosen will be totally exclusive to crowdfunders and not be repeated again.

Models will be certificated and have the following specifications.

The model will use the OO cad/cam inherited from Hattons shrunk down to N gauge.

Specifications

Coreless motor

Next 18 DCC decoder socket

Sound speaker fitment space in tender

Removable tender coal load

traction tyres on rear axle but with non traction tyres replacement axle set in box

2 types of bogies for customer choice for track clearance

etched name and number plates

polished steel effect con rods

darkened RP72.110 wheel sets

close coupling (if possible) on tender rear.

12 wheel pick up (tender and loco)

etched fire irons

separate hand lamps within accessory bag

Loco drive onto rear axle from motor

Maximum weight possible within technical boundaries

How much?

Crowdfunding cost per locomotive £135.50 (no limit to the amount of Kings the crowdfunder can purchase.

RRP for loco when on sale in other guises £159.95

Payments for each model will be in stages if crowdfunding meets the amount needed to make project viable.  Only then will deposit invoices be sent out.....

Initial deposit £30.00 (this is non refundable)
Then 1st EP tooling deposit £50.00 (non refundable)
Lastly the remaining total plus £8.00 shipping = £63.50 (non refundable)

Please note the funds are non refundable due to the nature of the crowdfunding and the tooling needing £100,000.00 So please only put your name down if you are serious about owning what will be a fantastic model.

Timelines

From the end of June, providing crowdfunding reaches its required level, final design will start, taking approximately 4 weeks using the OO gauge cad/cams as the starting point. Once completed tooling to 1st EP standard should take 6-8 weeks. 1 month for review and comments, then the 2nd ep (production standard) tooling should take the same 6-8 weeks.

Decorated models will be produced using the 1st EP models to keep the wait to a minimum.
Production will be 4 weeks
Shipping 4 - 6 weeks including land transport to distributor, then 48 hours to ship to UK customers.

All phases of the project will be covered by tooling / production photographs and reports when there is news to be shared, and the ship name will be notified to allow us all to follow the consignment progress across the world.

Please visit www.djmodels.co.uk  and the sub page 'pre orders and other' to sign up for a King!

Thank you for your time

Dave Jones
DJModels Ltd

Karhedron

I hope Dave won't mind if I add a direct link to the ordering page.

http://djmodels.co.uk/?page_id=47

Also, for ease of browsing, here is the list of identities on offer.

DJM-LS-N-001A 6006 King George I GWR Lined green with GWR 'Shirtbutton' logo on the tender
DJM-LS-N-002A 6018 King Henry VI GWR Lined green with "G (crest) W" on the tender
DJM-LS-N-003A 6023 King Edward II BR Lined blue with early BR crest
DJM-LS-N-004A 6009 King Charles II BR Lined green with early BR crest
DJM-LS-N-005A 6017 King Edward IV BR Lined green with Late BR crest
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

GrahamB

Even though it's GWR a King is just too big for me.

Now if it was the long awaited Mogul..........................................
Tonbridge MRC Member.
My Southwark Bridge thread can be found at https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38683.0
My Southwark Bridge website can be found at https://southwarkbridge.wixsite.com/ngauge

port perran

Quote from: GrahamB on March 13, 2017, 04:50:57 PM
Even though it's GWR a King is just too big for me.

Now if it was the long awaited Mogul..........................................
My sentiments exactly.
A King is far too big for me I'm afraid.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Pete @ EGLM

I'd rather have a couple of Claytons.....

Pete @ EGLM

DJM Dave

Come to Perth in June Pete and see the class 17 models, hopefully painted, in the flesh.
Might also have another, or 2, N gauge goodies for you too see as well.  ;)
N gauge Model Railway locomotive and rolling stock manufacturer.

longbow

Interest registered. A King is not my first WR choice either, but getting it funded will likely increase the chances of a Mogul.

Bealman

Yeah, I know I'm a mod, and probably shouldn't enter into this, but I wonder where the other stuff is first?
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Karhedron

Quote from: Bealman on March 14, 2017, 08:48:04 AM
Yeah, I know I'm a mod, and probably shouldn't enter into this, but I wonder where the other stuff is first?

As I understand it, Hattons decided to cancel their OO gauge King after Hornby saturated the market. This left Dave with a detailed CAD and a possible production slot.

He mentioned on the Class 71 project that crowd funded models were separate from the rest of his projects so progress on the already-announced models would not be affected. Possibly the same applies here.

Incidentally, the Class 71 is now in production. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/88264-oo-gauge-class-71-electric-locomotive/?p=2644240
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

snitchthebudgie

Now a 71 in 'N' would be something I'd invest in.....   :hmmm:

GrahamB

I'd also be interested in a 71 for another project I'm working on.
Tonbridge MRC Member.
My Southwark Bridge thread can be found at https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38683.0
My Southwark Bridge website can be found at https://southwarkbridge.wixsite.com/ngauge

Shiney Sheff

Being honest neither loco's would suit me,

Like Bealman and Only me, I am waiting to get an actual loco in my hand (I have ordered the J94 and the class 23 ) before I commit any further.

johnlambert

This is right up my street for the layout I'd like to build one day based on the GWR Leamington to Birmingham line.

In a perfect world I'd have four of the five announced locos, but one or two will have to suffice. I've got a soft spot for blue with early crest so it might have to be that one and maybe the British Railways late crest as well.

Yes, it would be nice if there were some progress on the GWR mogul announced a few years ago (from my point of view that's the main DJM release I'd like to see).  And I sympathise with those waiting for Claytons, Baybe Deltics and others.

RailGooner

Would like 6023 'King Edward II'. But along with others, I would also like a Clayton, and a Shark.

Quote from: Tank on March 13, 2017, 03:16:54 PM
.. Timelines

From the end of June, providing crowdfunding reaches its required level, final design will start, ...

So I'll wait till mid-June and see if there is any progress on other products before deciding whether to commit to this.

Nick

Like others, I'd be interested in this in principle, but...

We're three and a half years down the road since DJM models was launched, and a wheel is yet to turn on N gauge metal as far as I know. Not so much as a wagon. And only one, (or is it two?), models in another gauge, of which I've heard mixed reports and have no way to judge their truth.

"Vapourware" was once a term in another industry, in another century, that is beginning to seem relevant.

I just don't feel like putting money down on what is inevitably going to be a complex model before seeing at least something from the same stable in the same scale, in production.
Nick

The perfect is the enemy of the good - Voltaire

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations