!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Trenitalia Thello, modelling the Paris-Milan-Verona-Venice sleeper train in N  (Read 672 times)

Offline marco neri

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
Hi,
Lemke is a distributor for Pirata models....they are producers of carriage FS, but for me , are most expensive..one coach=88 Euros (75 GBP :confused1:)....
Who dares?....surely I don't! :no:

Marco
...never turn you back on the ripper (judas priest)

Offline RailGooner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 1***6
    • Ebay
    • Awards
Hi @weave , that looks similar but not the same as the train we travelled on. From memory I recall that very few of the cars carried Thello branding.

I still have the emails relating to the booking. We departed Milan Central at 23:38 on 16th Feb 2012. It had been a long day having checked out of our hotel at around 10:00. MBH was tired, so I didn't test her patience by taking a detailed photo record of the train. But I did take at least one snap before boarding, several in our berth, and one of the loco the next morning in Paris.

I need to find those few photos I took of the train. The SD card in my camera doesn't go back as far as 2012. In the Cloud, I've found one pic of MBH in the stunning Train Bleu restaurant (highly recommended) inside the Gare de Lyon where we had lunch on our outbound leg. The resolution of that pic tells me it was taken with my previous phone.

So next thing is I need to find my old phone, and somewhere I've got a pile of SD cards too.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 10:36:33 am by RailGooner »
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Offline daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: 26722
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
Just go again. :thumbsup:
Saves all that convoluted searching for phone and cards, and will be the best 'research' you can do.

Mrs Daffy would take zero persuading if I suggested we went to Switzerland on any similar pretext.
 :D

:hmmm: Now there's an idea! (Daffy goes off in search of his good lady)
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline RailGooner

• Ebay
    • Awards
Just go again. :thumbsup:
Saves all that convoluted searching for phone and cards, and will be the best 'research' you can do.

Mrs Daffy would take zero persuading if I suggested we went to Switzerland on any similar pretext.
 :D

:hmmm: Now there's an idea! (Daffy goes off in search of his good lady)

Hey, if the money was there, we'd be in Milan already having lunch of Milanese di Pollo. It is interesting though, the 'sleeper' effect. I remember when I suggested the trip to Milan by train, MBH was not impressed. When I said we'd be returning by sleeper train, well, I've never seen her so excited. I don't think the family nature of this forum is threatened by my saying that a sleeper train is the most fun a couple can have in separate beds!  :D

Offline RailGooner

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 12:42:35 pm by RailGooner »

Offline daffy

• Learning everyday
    • Awards
And re Switzerland @daffy , one day I'd really like to take MBH to Milan via Switzerland by train...
http://www.seat61.com/Italy.htm#Option 3:  London to Florence by train with overnight in Switzerland

Or via Austria and the Brenner Pass...
http://www.seat61.com/Italy.htm#Option 4:  London to Venice by City Night Line sleeper train

Thanks for the links to a website I knew nothing about. Looks like a plan is forming in your head. Hopefully the money will come later.  :)

We have always flown to Austria or Switzerland but will now rethink that idea entirely. Mrs Daffy hates flying anyway.
I did actually just whisper in her ear about a trip and she just said "Well, it's your 65th this year so why not? We can probably afford it. See what you can find.:o

Now looking at brochures - always to hand. Just have to pray my health can improve before any real booking takes place, but at least your links mean an easier and more interesting trip is in prospect, not to mention a cheaper one with luck.

:beers:

Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline RailGooner

• Ebay
    • Awards
I first found The Man in Seat 61 about a decade ago. Found it while planning a footy trip to Marseille with the lads, who all wanted to fly. They couldn't think past the nightmare trip we had to Cardiff for the 2007 League Cup Final - Chelsea vs Arsenal in Cardiff meant every Paddington-Cardiff HST was criminally overcrowded. After the match, we were lied to by staff at Cardiff station resulting in us ending up on a local service to Bristol from where we could "get a London bound fast service which run all night, don't worry". Lies! :veryangry: Thank you to the FGW Manager at Bristol who tolerated my drunken ranting and put us in a taxi to Oxford. :thumbsup:

The fact three of us could travel by train to Marseille for the cost of one of us flying tempted us to give trains another chance. That and only having to change once (Lille) meant no complaints and a successful trip.

Since the success of that Marseille trip, I've been to many European matches by train. Sometimes, we'll get cheap flights to a neighbouring city and then take local trains to the city hosting the match. All researched mainly at The Man in Seat 61.

Offline PeteW

• Awards
A long time ago, when I was young and dinosaurs roamed the earth, I took the train from Paris to Brindisi via Milan. Left Paris, it got dark, woke up, we were on the outskirts of Milan. All the way through the Alps, tunnels, gorges, mountain vistas... never saw any of it!

Offline RailGooner

• Ebay
    • Awards
Do it again @PeteW , but book an earlier train! :D We left Paris at 14:41 and past through by the Alps in daylight. :camera:
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 11:41:19 am by RailGooner, Reason: disambiguation »

Offline PeteW

• Awards
Well, now I'm even more jealous. I'm sure LOML could be persuaded to take the trip - the trouble is finding the time in her hectic schedule. Something to work on!

Offline eotw

• Awards
In 2015 my wife, daughter and I travelled to Rome and back by train. Bus to Swindon, then London, Lille, Geneva, Milan and Rome with overnight stays in London and Geneva. Return trip was Rome, Milan, Turin, Paris, London, Swindon and the number 49 home.

This was researched through the man in seat 61.

Nothing noteworthy so far however I should add I use a wheelchair and need ramps etc on and off trains and apart from a double booking in Geneva it all went very smoothly.  The Italians were particularly helpful.

It has come along way from my first trip on a train post spinal injury, Aylesbury to Marylebone in the guards van.

Say it quietly but for me the world is a better place. I use trains all the time now both at home and abroad.

Offline RailGooner

• Ebay
    • Awards
.. Nothing noteworthy so far however I should add I use a wheelchair and need ramps etc on and off trains and apart from a double booking in Geneva it all went very smoothly.  The Italians were particularly helpful.

It has come along way from my first trip on a train post spinal injury, Aylesbury to Marylebone in the guards van.

Say it quietly but for me the world is a better place. I use trains all the time now both at home and abroad.

As it should be @eotw , as it should be. :thumbsup:

Offline RailGooner

• Ebay
    • Awards

Offline daffy

• Learning everyday
    • Awards
Good news, and good buy! :thumbsup:

You could have saved the postage by offering to collect. :D
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline RailGooner

• Ebay
    • Awards
Good news, and good buy! :thumbsup:

You could have saved the postage by offering to collect. :D

Doh! :doh: Too late now, they're already with DHL.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £87.00
Above Goal: £32.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
June Donations

Advertise Here
anything