!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Trenitalia Thello, modelling the Paris-Milan-Verona-Venice sleeper train in N  (Read 954 times)

Online RailGooner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
Back in 2012 me and MBH had a few days in Milan by train. Outbound we travelled by Eurostar and TGV daytime services. We returned by Thello sleeper between Milan-Paris, then Eurostar daytime back to London. As a surprise for MBH, I'd like to model the Thello sleeper car in N.

I didn't pay much attention to the Thello sleeper car at the time - the railway half of my brain was still occupied processing my first sighting of a yellow La Poste TGV spotted on the outbound leg.

Can anyone provide any information/tips/advice on availability of models - RTR or kit? Any models suitable as a basis for kitbashing? Any source for livery details? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Grazie Mille!  8)
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Online daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: 26722
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
ACME 55122 is the model code for an orribly oversize set of three carriages that show the livery style.

Good et of pics of the set here though slightly different livery than your photo

http://www.tecnomodel-treni.it/dettagli.php?id=49129
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 10:39:44 am by daffy »
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Online RailGooner

• Ebay
    • Awards
Thanks @daffy . A great help. :beers:

Online daffy

• Learning everyday
    • Awards
Seems ACME do a lot of carriages for the Thello. Their catalogue is worth a gander

http://www.acmetreni.it/index.php/en/
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Online daffy

• Learning everyday
    • Awards
And finally a link to the Press pages of the Thello website. You can even download their logo here.

https://www.thello.com/a-propos-thello/Espace-Presse/index.html
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Online daffy

• Learning everyday
    • Awards
Okay, so this is definitely the final finally contribution from me. :thumbsup:

You could try contacting the Press section of the Thello company to ask for carriage dimensions or what you will. I have used this technique for all manner of info that is otherwise hard to find.

Contact details:
Contacts Presse
Agence Call Me Back, Dorothée Auphan (+ 33 1 56 81 02 37) et Laura Sola (+ 33 1 56 81 02 35)
Thello, Elodie Thiery, Responsable Marketing (+ 33 1 74 34 29 44), elodie.thiery@thello.com
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Online RailGooner

• Ebay
    • Awards
Your internet searching Foo is very strong @daffy . I really appreciate your effort too, thank you so much. But stop now, or I'll be legally obliged to offer you a full time job if you work on this any longer. :D

Ha ah, I've got some Crafty Paper somewhere too.  :thumbsup:

I can't see any reference to scale at ACME, but I'd say it's all HO. Also I think their models are of the Milan-Genoa-Nice-Marseille service. There are subtle livery differences and I'm not convinced the cars are the same prototype. All research is good though.

This looks like Milan-Genoa-Nice-Marseille service, but in N:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fratix-FX-2209-Set-tre-carrozze-Thello-ep-VI-Scala-N-/371872453629?hash=item56955353fd:g:-wUAAOSwdGFYqyQr

I've found this in N too, which is closer to the Paris-Milan-Verona-Venice livery - horizontal stripes low on the sides and Dining icons similar to the Sleeping icon of my target.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CARROZZA-ARTIGIANALE-HAND-MADE-CAR-THELLO-RESTAURANT-FS-TRENITALIA-ITALY-SCALA-N-/231720707821

I'd happily pay Є80 to forget the dinning car though! The biscuits we we're bringing back for the kids didn't even make it to Paris.

Can't find any further online reference to the manufacturers 'Fratix' or 'Original Trains' though.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 11:45:44 am by RailGooner, Reason: pour spelink »

Online daffy

• Learning everyday
    • Awards
Don't search for Fratix, just the FX-2209 bit and it appears at a few sources, apparently distributed by an Italian company called Bkackstar.

This page has the details - how's your German language skills/Google Translate skills? - that contains a link to the Blackstar site - how's your Italian language skills/Google Translate skills? :D

http://www.1zu160.net/neues/news.php?id=3476

You could probably email Blackstar to find details or what is currently available and the main outlet seems to be
http://www.menzels-lokschuppen.de/

I will stop now as I've reached my freebie limit. All further advices will be charged pro rata, so if you have any pro rata before they cease to be legal tender, use them now. :)

BTW I was trained as an Information Scientist in the public sector many years ago and old habits die hard. Happy to help.

Good luck. :beers:
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 01:12:17 pm by daffy »
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Online weave

• Awards
Hi,

You've probably done the research but just to confirm ACME is HO as far as I know.

Also, if you google 'scala n Fratix' quite a lot comes up. There was an unsafe website from the manufacturer/ supplier dated 2015 saying twas new and setting up but nothing more.

Other stuff there but don't know if any good.

Good luck with your venture. I've got a bit of Italian stuff but not easy to find. Few more modern things now from the likes of Fleischmann and Arnold so maybe if it becomes popular, like the Spanish has, it'll take off. Hope so.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Online RailGooner

• Ebay
    • Awards
Thanks @weave , I'm really appreciative of your help.

WELCOME TO FRATIX
 October 2, 2015 N Scale Trains
  Welcome to Fratix, the site is under construction. Visit us often, updates will be frequent!
  Fratix Team

Frequent! I know Rome wasn't built in a day, but... :D How much of the internet is tumbleweed sites like this, I wonder.

I might have to learn Italian or German as @daffy suggests. Or I could take my research out of the lab and do some field research - I wonder if MBH would be up for a repeat trip? :D

Offline JanW

• Awards
It seems these sleepers are of similar design to German sleeper cars.
Found a nice picture of one in this link:
http://the-mediarail-chronicles.blogspot.nl/2015/02/saving-night-trains-services-yes-we-can.html
This also gives some dimensions; the standard european coach length.

And it seems LS Models is developing a very similar coach in N scale (1:160):
http://www.lsmodels.com/Pages/General_N/Home_N.htm
Scroll down to the blue sample WLABmz coach. At least the letters L ABm are on the Thello sleeper car...

Hope you'll get a nice sleeper train for your layout!
Jan

Online RailGooner

• Ebay
    • Awards
Hi Jan ( @janw ), Thanks for that. When I first considered this project, I thought/hoped that the prototype might be in wider use around the continent. I still think that I'll likely end up modding a NS/DB/OBB/SBB model. The LS Models blue sample looks very promising.

Offline marco neri

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
Hi  Railgooner,
I'm from Italy and I can help you about something on Thello coaches...
ACME tools only HO
Fratix (Blackstar distribution...)  is not much affordable...I've still not ever seen his coaches running on a layout..and believe me, I am always regular visitor of main railways model show and fair here in Italy through my Association...and never seen THELLO coaches n scale on italian-style layouts...
You can use following types suitable as a basis for kitbashing:
Night
1) Type UIC-.X
2) sleeping car T2S refurbished
3)coach Snack-Bar Ristorante

Day
1)coach Gran Comfort (1st class)
2)coach type Z (second class)
3) coach DVT type Z
4)coach BRH

For UIC-X, type Z, T2S, Snack Bar and Gran Comfort, BRH you can find'em on Arnold,Fleischmann,  Minitrix and LS Models production
About DVT type Z.....it's an hard work to do!

Cheers.

Marco

...never turn you back on the ripper (judas priest)

Online RailGooner

• Ebay
    • Awards
Ciao Marco, and WOW! :claphappy: The info you've provided joins all the dots that we've (meaning @daffy , @weave and @JanW ) found, revealing the full picture.

The sleeping car is my main target - I'm doing it more for MBH than for myself. But if that goes well, who knows I might take on the challenge of the whole train. I'm going to hunt down a T2S first thing tomorrow today.

Grazie Mille! :thankyousign:
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 01:01:44 am by RailGooner »

Online weave

• Awards
Hi again,

Thought I'd post this. You've probably seen it but gives me an idea of what we are looking out for (if it's the right train).

Nice to see anyway.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKDqKiFRba8

Cheers weave  :beers:

Not sure if been mentioned but Lemke do FS coaches. Go on DM Toys site and then rail company (FS).

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £90.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
164% 
November Donations

Advertise Here