NSE first class Mk2 coaches

Started by bluedepot, February 11, 2017, 09:27:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluedepot

Hi

I currently have 2x BSO and 3x TSO Mk2a coaches in NSE livery (I also have MK1 buffet in the rake).

There aren't any first class coaches available though?   Were there no NSE MK2a first class coaches in real life?   I 'm just wondering why none are made by Farish.  Not sure if maybe  NSE just had MK2b/c first class instead...???

Tim

B757-236GT

There were both FKs and BFKs. I think the issue is that however they weren't the best seller in the world in OO so bachmann are being careful in N. I do wonder if the FK would be ok but im not sure about the BFK.

Richard
You want the truth, you cant handle the truth. Welcome to the Fox news channel. (Andy Parsons)

MJKERR

Agreed, there is no Mark 2A BFK, in any livery
It does seem odd as many rakes had them
Poor demand is obvious, as you only need one per rake, and equally that is why there was so much demand for the TSO

The roof is also slightly different from a BSO

Although expensive, you could purchase a BSO and FK, then cobble together a BFK from the two
That is what I plan to do, although not completely accurate it solves the issue

CaleyDave

Quote from: bluedepot on February 11, 2017, 09:27:43 PM
Were there no NSE MK2a first class coaches in real life?

According to My "platform 5 Locomotive and Coaching Stock 1988" Book

Over Half of all the MK2A FK left in service were painted in NSE.
Looking at the Depot allocations by 1988 not all the Cambridge MK2A FK had been repainted from BR Blue.

MK2A BFK were again not all repainted so a Blue or NSE paint job could be used if you converted one.

If you are just after first class rather than a specific train some alternatives would be:
MK1 FK. 5 at Old Oak Common in NSE.
MK1 CK 2 at Euston in NSE with another 13 in Blue allocated to NSE.
MK1 BCK 2 at Eastleigh in Blue allocated to NSE.

MJKERR

Quote from: CaleyDave on February 12, 2017, 12:39:13 PM
MK1 FK
MK1 CK
MK1 BCK
These are alternatives, and acceptable for a rake, however I am not aware of any Farish RTR versions in NSE livery
The same issue applies, with either a full repaint (latest coaches) or vinyls

dodger

Looking at photos of the BSO & BFK the window spacing looks similar and I seem to remember reading in a trainspotting book years ago that both used the same basic bodyshell. Could you rebrand a BSO as a BFK.

Dodger

MJKERR

Quote from: dodger on February 12, 2017, 02:25:57 PM
Looking at photos of the BSO & BFK the window spacing looks similar and I seem to remember reading in a trainspotting book years ago that both used the same basic bodyshell. Could you rebrand a BSO as a BFK.
See earlier reply
Yes, you can modify the existing number, apply yellow stripe and 1 numerals on the doors
However, you then need to replace the interior
The roof vents would then also need to be replaced

Quote from: MJKERR on February 11, 2017, 10:19:12 PM
The roof is also slightly different from a BSO

Although expensive, you could purchase a BSO and FK, then cobble together a BFK from the two
That is what I plan to do, although not completely accurate it solves the issue

bluedepot

oh ok thanks for the replies.

good idea to put a bso body on the chassis of a fk (cut away the brake compartment seats etc.), and then add the yellow stripe and 1 on doors.  i think i would mess that up though and it would cost 50 quid plus.

i hope farish make a fk or bfk in nse eventually.

what about for regional railways?  won't farish need a first class mk2a for this range as well?  surely makes sense to just produce fk in these liveries.

i may get a mk1 fk in nse and use that.  mixed up mk2a and mk1s looks a bit more interesting anyway i think.

cheers,

tim

CaleyDave

Quote from: bluedepot on February 12, 2017, 08:05:35 PM
what about for regional railways?  won't farish need a first class mk2a for this range as well?  surely makes sense to just produce fk in these liveries.

Again going only on what my 1988 Books says (I Don't have any books after 1988)
TSO,FK were repainted in Regional.
SK,BSO,BFK were allocated but not repainted.

---
To complete the list it looks like there is also a MK2A BSK in NSE which is a BFK declassified.

robert shrives

Making life easier  Railtec now do a set of first class yellow transfers combined with orange stripes -ideal for a bit of upgrading.

cheers
Robert

MJKERR

Quote from: bluedepot on February 12, 2017, 08:05:35 PM
good idea to put a bso body on the chassis of a fk (cut away the brake compartment seats etc.), and then add the yellow stripe and 1 on doors.  i think i would mess that up though and it would cost 50 quid plus.
There is no need to go that far, just remove the interior from the BSO, create the interior handrail, apply curtains, insert half of the interior from a FK
Agreed, it would cost £50

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations