!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: DJ Models researching King Class steam locomotive  (Read 6157 times)

Offline Nick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22901
    • Awards
Re: DJ Models researching King Class steam locomotive
« Reply #90 on: May 19, 2017, 11:26:08 am »
I think it is only 1,000 black mermaids?.......
!0,000 mermaids are arriving in June!! Do you know where they're coming ashore? That's going to be sight on the beach...

Don't tell Border Force... :D

(Sorry, I'll get me coat...)
Nick

The perfect is the enemy of the good - Voltaire

Online Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #91 on: May 19, 2017, 11:40:41 am »
Hi,

That's correct the initial delivery on the high seas now will be 1000 black ones spread over 4 running numbers.

Cheers
Dave

Whats the best way to buy?

Direct or retailer?

Offline PLD

• Hull Miniature Railway Society
    • Awards
« Reply #92 on: May 19, 2017, 11:43:04 am »
Going way :offtopicsign: now...

Dave is, for whatever reason, something of a 'marmite' personality. According to some commentators it's either unconditional praise or outright condemnation, and anyone who takes a (to me entirely reasonable) moderate "there's good and bad" or "wait and see" stance is often criticised by both sides.

Witness the reaction to what I thought was a balanced comparison of the DJM vs Hornby class 71s (the example we do have where a direct comparison to another manufacturer is possible). I pointed out features I though the Hornby model did better and areas I thought the DJM was better. That got me branded a "DJM Basher" yet no one accused me of being a "Hornby Basher" for mentioning areas I though the DJM was better...

as the owner of over 15 diesels and over 30 steam locos all of which are a product of Dave's genius (remember he was part of Dapol until recently)
I entirely agree with that. - I own and am entirely satisfied with numerous Dapol locos. Bizarrely though, some of the most vocal DJM supporters are also the most vocal critics of those Dapol products he was responsible for! I've never quite been able to reconcile their thinking on that one...

I would suggest that we all wait just a little longer and judge by the results instead of speculation.
Alex's sensible stance I would suggest represents the silent majority.
I have no beef with Dave himself and wish him well - I just wish we did have a (n-gauge) model in hand to prove the quality and give the confidence to pre-order other models that are of interest to me. I do however have an issue with the OTT reactions to him of some commentators on both sides. It doesn't help... Best thing all round would be for a much more calm and measured even reduced response on both sides and just leave him to get on with it and release the first DJM N-gauge models (loco &rolling stock) then let the product speak for itself...

Online longbow

• N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: Yes
    • Awards
« Reply #93 on: May 20, 2017, 03:00:16 am »
Not quite in hand yet but the Mermaid gets a two page review in the June issue of BRM - "the finest 4-wheeled N gauge wagon we have seen to date".

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #94 on: May 20, 2017, 12:34:46 pm »
The packaging is pretty impressive as well. Wonder if that's going to be the standard for all things N from Dave.

Offline DJM Dave

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • DJModels Ltd
    • Awards
« Reply #95 on: May 20, 2017, 12:37:44 pm »
Oh no,

The N gauge loco boxes are a whole lot better than what's being used for UK outline at present.

Blinking ain't cheap either gov'nor, the tooling for the twin pack made my eyes water!
N gauge Model Railway locomotive and rolling stock manufacturer.

Online Chris Morris

• Ridgacre Branch & Little Aller Junction
    • Awards
« Reply #96 on: May 20, 2017, 02:31:50 pm »
I've just signed up for one. I don't know Dave at all but DJM has now produced some items which seem to be fine and he has experience at Dapol. The Westerns and class 22s I have are brilliant models. I am also very happy with my Manor & Grange but I have no idea whether Dave was involved in these or not. The model seems well thought out - I particularly like the idea of a pair of drivers with traction tyres as an option following my experience with the new Farish Castle.

I don't see this as a big risk. if  the project does get the go ahead punters will get a model of of top link loco for 135 which is likely to be a good un. I see not taking part in crowdfunding as a bigger risk; the danger is we could end up with very few or even no new N gauge models in the future.

Offline trkilliman

• N Gauge Society Number: 16855
    • Awards
« Reply #97 on: May 20, 2017, 05:00:14 pm »

Chris Morris said
  "I don't see this as a big risk. if  the project does get the go ahead punters will get a model of of top link loco for 135 which is likely to be a good un. I see not taking part in crowdfunding as a bigger risk; the danger is we could end up with very few or even no new N gauge models in the future"

This is exactly how I see it.
If enough people put their faith in DJM it will give him the support, impetus and finance to grow his business further. With one producer seemingly backing away from N gauge, particularly steam, supporting DJM must surely be beneficial for the future?

And the Mermaid wagons. I have never really paid that much interest in them, but what super looking highly detailed wagons they are!

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • NGS Product Development Officer
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #98 on: May 23, 2017, 02:07:02 pm »
Beyond any of your personal views, I think it is more significant that Revolution will not commit to do anything that isn't crowdfunded, but DJM will.
Revolution only progress models that will evidently pay themselves back. they dropped the 21/29 and nearly did not progress the Class B tank wagon. They also progressed the TEA tankers ahead of the Pendolino to get a product to market. Surely that is what Dave is doing with the Mermaid ballast wagon ahead of any N gauge locos? But why is he vilified and Revolution not?

I have never verbalised this so explicitly on here, but as one of the two individuals who initially pushed the Type B tankers as a potential product to develop, I was going to invest my hard earned into in the production of the Type B tankers

Do not criticise one manufacturer who invests their own home into a business venture when others only invest your money into their business venture.

Bob

A pity that you had to raise some of these points about Revolution on Dave's thread (and without discussing them with us first).

It is no secret that we crowdfund - it would be disingenuous to claim that finances did not play a major part of that decision, but I make absolutely no apology for wanting projects to cover their costs.  If they don't then that is the quickest way to bankruptcy and customers losing their money.

Inevitably part of the crowdfunding process (or any decision making process) is that we will start projects that don't make the cut for a wide variety of reasons (lack of interest/price/duplication etc) - indeed one of the main reasons we are discussing a DJM N gauge King is due to the entirely reasonably decision that Dave and Hattons took about their 4mm King.  Circumstances change and none of us are big enough to risk everything.

One aspect I will take you to task on is that Ben and I are not taking any risk ourselves - you have absolutely no way of knowing that. Considerable amounts of our own cash have gone into Revolution (and continue to) as well as even more important (for us) is our time.  Of course we plan to get back the money we put in, but I doubt that any other business plans differently!

On the TEA progressing ahead of the Pendolino - again no mystery there, it was a simple case of the TEA being much quicker and simpler to develop.  The TEA was not progressed instead of or at the expense of the Pendolino. That was all clearly communicated to our customers.

Re the class B - Ben and I have both apologised to you that we did not let you know in advance of our announcement that we were looking to crowdfund the Class B.  We were not aware that there was any other option on the table (and you could still have approached us post our announcement).

I am sorry that you feel that we took away an investment opportunity from you (and I apologise again that we didn't tell you in advance of our announcement). This is not about DJM vs Revolution - we both set out our stalls and people are welcome to ask us both questions and judge us on information available.

Apologies again for commenting on Dave's thread, but I wanted to clear up any misunderstandings. I wish DJM well with the King and other projects.

Best wishes, Mike

Online Chris Morris

• Ridgacre Branch & Little Aller Junction
    • Awards
« Reply #99 on: May 23, 2017, 06:31:13 pm »
We should all be grateful for the work done and risks taken by Dave, Mike and Ben. Apologies if I have missed anyone but I don't know much about either organisation. They are probably our best hope for new N gauge models in the future.

Offline Chetcombe

• N Gauge Society Number: 21564
    • YouTube
    • Chetcombe on YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #100 on: May 24, 2017, 05:15:07 am »
We should all be grateful for the work done and risks taken by Dave, Mike and Ben. Apologies if I have missed anyone but I don't know much about either organisation. They are probably our best hope for new N gauge models in the future.

Here, here. Very well said.

I would add that the reviews of the TEA and Mermaid wagons would also suggest that these guys can raise the game in terms of quality as well.

Online Snowwolflair

• N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #101 on: May 25, 2017, 03:47:53 pm »
Well that's four mermaids ordered.

I do like the idea of a train of Mackerel Dogfish and Salmon, followed by sea lions followed by mermaids and a shark.

And one of these!

Offline trkilliman

• N Gauge Society Number: 16855
    • Awards
« Reply #102 on: May 25, 2017, 05:22:56 pm »

I do like the idea of a train of Mackerel Dogfish and Salmon, followed by sea lions followed by mermaids and a shark.

And one of these!

"The Pikes Express"

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #103 on: May 25, 2017, 06:15:53 pm »

And one of these!

What the ...? :laughabovepost: I hear your cry for help. :D Maybe you need to start a new thread for this, so we can all offer you the support and counselling you need without derailing this thread. :D
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Online Karhedron

• N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #104 on: May 31, 2017, 10:16:04 pm »
After a bumper week I can let you all know that as the adverts hit the magazines etc, the crowdfunding total has leapt to just under 50% funded.

Thank you to all who have put your name down for one, and with a few weeks left we have a darn good chance of making this happen.

Cheers
Dave

Just to get this thread back on topic, here is Dave's update from the "other" site. Getting close to the 50% mark is really exciting and I hope this project reaches its target.

If you have been keeping an eye on this to see what happens, please consider signing up as this is the best chance to get an accurate model of this iconic express passenger loco in N gauge for the foreseeable future.
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
July Donations

Advertise Here
anything