What are you modelling?

Started by guest2, November 26, 2010, 09:20:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulwhitt20 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Komata

Now, now Bealman, you chose where you live, when for only another 1200 miles (and for less that five quid) you could have been living in the 'better' part of the neighbourhood, away from the snakes, the flies, the fires and the Oztrilians...

Coxsteve49: Welcome to the madhouse!! (Ignore Bealman- he's just jealous because we don't have snakes, the flies, the fires or Oztrilians..) There a a few Kiwi's here, myself included, so you won't be alone.  Your Kiwirail layout sounds interesting.  How far have you progressed, and what N-scale 'variant' (UK, US, Japanese, Continental) do you use?  When you get 'settled' and have the time, pics would be appreciated (the locals love them).

Again, welcome.
"TVR - Serving the Northern Taranaki . . . "

PooleSider

I am modelling where I was born: Poole Siding and brickworks, just outside Wellington in Somerset. I am setting it in 1945-47 so I can use GWR locos and rolling stock. My grandfather was the signalman for the brickworks siding and my father was the engineer fitter for the works. I was born in the signalman's cottage (which still stands) in 1951, so I have a memory of the 1950s and 60s, but not actual GWR.
There is a great photo from the air in 1933. If you sign in to Britain from Above you might find your location too.
http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw041153
Poole Siding near Wellington, Somerset; not the one on the Dorset coast.

Biggy

I am modelling GWR, LMS joint line somewhere in the South West (I know but I just love Black 5's! :-[) set in the 20's -30's. Inspired by but not really resembling Barnstaple. It was going to be SR GWR but we are originally from Lancashire so not sure my Dad would forgive me.
Also there is a model of Tiverton Castle (the loco not the building) in BR green coming out soon and well I've just got to have that so not really sticking to an era or geography
Not sure its supposed to do that

Chris in Prague

A GWR, LMS joint line somewhere in the South West would have to be in the Bristol area, I think.

Biggy

Your right. I believe the line to Clevedon was used by both. I seem to remember seeing a couple of great N-gauge layouts at exhibitions.
To be honest I am just running things that interest me I'm a bit of a heretic really :)

Biggy

Oops I mean Burnham on Sea :dunce:

Chris in Prague

Quote from: Biggy on May 17, 2015, 10:51:21 PM
Oops I mean Burnham on Sea :dunce:

Which was part of the Somerset & Dorset Joint Railway which was a joint LMSR and SR operation. Post nationalisation it was joint WR and SR but with a large stock of LMSR design locomotives inherited.

Portpatrick

There was a superb 2mm or maybe N Gauge model of Burnham on Sea on the exhibition circuit a few years ago.  It also appeared as RoM in the Modeller.  Very convincing.  As a teenager I part built a model inspired by it.  But I never finished it.  I changed to N in my early 20s.

PooleSider

What would be interesting would be the Weston, Clevedon and Portishead line: the WC&P. There are a few signs of embankments etc left but plenty of photos including of trains being red-flagged across the streets.
Whilst my layout is on the old Bristol-Exeter line, subsumed by GWR, I expect to see occasional LMS wakes week holiday specials, LNER football specials (they could only be going to Exeter or Plymouth; is that feasible in 1945-47?), and SR Q1s and spam cans diverted between Exeter and Westbury due to flooding near Honiton (perhaps china clay wagons and Maunsell passenger coaches?).  These depend on Father Christmas, however.
Poole Siding near Wellington, Somerset; not the one on the Dorset coast.

Chris in Prague

Maunsell passenger coaches would certainly be in use in 1945-47.

talisman56

Quote from: Portpatrick on May 18, 2015, 08:24:42 AM
There was a superb 2mm or maybe N Gauge model of Burnham on Sea on the exhibition circuit a few years ago.  It also appeared as RoM in the Modeller.  Very convincing.  As a teenager I part built a model inspired by it.  But I never finished it.  I changed to N in my early 20s.

Still going strong - changed hands and the new owner(s) are doing a great job in refurbishing/adding to it...
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

Biggy

I think there was one of each I saw one 2mm I think at a show in Willand and another at the Warley show.

I am treating this layout as a re spilling project so not especially prototypical but I am certainly having fun.
I will post some photos soon

Thanks for the poitive responses

GScaleBruce

I tend to model things that have a special place in my memory, and (preferably) about which I either have the proverbially dangerous little knowledge or can research on the web reasonably easily. A plausible/likely operation is key for me, even if the location is totally imaginary.

My garden railway is based on a 2 week(!) holiday (well, plus a few trips) to Austria where I visited a number of steam operated narrow gauge lines. It was obvious even in 1981 that this couldn't continue, though I had no idea how long they might survive (in the case of the Steyrtalbahn, not very). If only colour slide film hadn't been so expensive for a poor student back then! These days, the H&DLR also covers East Germany - but as a result of further trips that I've been fortunate to make.

The n gauge (back on topic) reflects my travels around West Germany as a student and later. An earlier incarnation tried to imagine a cross border French/German branch, but it didn't seem terribly realistic and the French stuff has all gone now. I'd also like to model late 1980's BR as I worked for that now (amazingly) much lamented organisation for 14 years; but an Anglo-Franco-German line is stretching credibility a bit too far for my liking, and, personally, I gain most satisfaction from a railway that is at least plausible (within the limitations of my knowledge/experience). So Steinheim/Main is firmly set in the late steam/early diesel DB era (a little before I really came to know Germany, to be fair, but I can't resist the steam engines). Diesels seem to be increasing... which is what I remember most... which is where I came in...
Bruce
My DB themed layout - Steinheim am Main My BR themed layout - Stoneham Yard My T-Trak module - Güterbahnhof Friesdorf
My SNCF modelling thread - Gare de Ligugé My layout planning thread - Peterhampton Junction

mark100

We are modelling Swanwick Jcn on the preserved Midland Railway Centre line in Derbyshire.
The fleet is going to be mainly the diesels on that line but i'm sure a few Steam locos will be added eventually. there will be guest locos, Dapol have announced a class 59, so we are hoping for the first Silver Foster Yeoman version.

Here are the next modelling jobs
31108 in Railfreight
31162 in Rail Blue
31271 in Triple grey livery
31418 in Rail blue

The chassis shown are 2 life like versions, there is a Kato PA1 in the post to us and we have been told of a minitrix co co chassis with metal gears that will fit underneath a class 31 shell.

[smg id=25613 type=preview align=center caption="20150603 201347"]

[smg id=25614 type=preview align=center caption="20150603 201450"]

We are also fitting a Mintrix 2959 chassis underneath a Farish Class 25 shell which also has metal gears and cost me £25.00
You cant get better than a Betta Fish

MalcolmInN

Quote from: talisman56 on May 18, 2015, 04:11:32 PM
Quote from: Portpatrick on May 18, 2015, 08:24:42 AM
There was a superb 2mm or maybe N Gauge model of Burnham on Sea on the exhibition circuit a few years ago.

Still going strong - changed hands and the new owner(s) are doing a great job in refurbishing/adding to it...
And they did an excellent job of exhibiting it (if I am thinking of the same one ?) at the recent Nailsea&District show,
much to the delight of youngsters who were allowed hands-on.

No connection, just an admiring bystander,

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations