!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cartic bogies  (Read 613 times)

Offline NauticalFan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 13689
    • Awards
Cartic bogies
« on: December 21, 2016, 03:52:32 pm »
I have recently completed the NGS cartic kit. At least one bogie has a poor fit of the wheelset(s); the wheels do not spin freely. My Farish Deltic struggles to haul the set around the layout.
Has anyone else encountered this problem? Can anyone recommend a suitable bogie replacement and/or wheelset for this set?
Thanks.

Offline tunneroner61

• Awards
Re: Cartic bogies
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 04:59:06 pm »
Before you go changing bogies and wheelsets try a bit of investigation to identify the offending axles. Turn each wagon over and flick the axles - you will soon spot the sticky ones.

I haven't built any Cartics - do they use top hat brass bearings in the axle boxes? If so said bearings might not be seated down properly.

Other causes might be:
1) swarf in and around the axle box which can be removed with a scalpel
2) damaged pinpoints on the axles - use fine emery to reprofile
3) check the bogie sides are not 'leaning' inwards - a bit of brute force might open them out a bit.

a good idea is to put a bit of lubrication in the axle holes -  run a soft pencil around in the bearings.

HTH Norman

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS Vice President, Contributor to Model Rail
    • A Pendolino in N
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 05:31:13 pm »

Hello NauticalFan,

The original car flats were supplied with the old Farish bogies that were designed for their 100t tankers and Freightliner flats, and are a kind of "generic" cross between a Gloucester and a Ridemaster.

As has been said, first identify any offending axles.  Then it's a good idea just to take out the axles and refit - it can be easy to get them misaligned and when correctly seated you may find the bogies are OK after all.

If not, then you can check for plastic moulding residue in the axle cup, try lubricating, or even just opening them out a bit might be enough.

Failing that return them to the NGS shop describing the problem for replacement.

Cheers

Ben A
(NGS VP)

Offline NauticalFan

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 11:19:43 pm »
I returned to this problem to test out some of the suggested fixes.
9 out of the 10 axles do not turn freely.
I have tried all of the suggested fixes, but not all on each axle, with no improvement.
I did consider drilling the recesses in the bogies a little deeper with a pin drill, but since the drill point has a much bigger angle than the axle point, i thought this was not such a good idea, and might create a new problem.
I did contact the NGS shop soon after completion of the kit, and asked for their recommendation for replacement bogies, but received no response.
Unless anyone can offer a suggestion for a replacement bogie, then unfortunately the kit is destined to remain a static display.

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions, I only wish one could have been a remedy.

Roy

Offline PaulCheffus

• N Gauge Society Number: 4575
  • 2mm Association Number: 4172
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 09:27:58 am »
I returned to this problem to test out some of the suggested fixes.
9 out of the 10 axles do not turn freely.
I have tried all of the suggested fixes, but not all on each axle, with no improvement.
I did consider drilling the recesses in the bogies a little deeper with a pin drill, but since the drill point has a much bigger angle than the axle point, i thought this was not such a good idea, and might create a new problem.
I did contact the NGS shop soon after completion of the kit, and asked for their recommendation for replacement bogies, but received no response.
Unless anyone can offer a suggestion for a replacement bogie, then unfortunately the kit is destined to remain a static display.

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions, I only wish one could have been a remedy.

Roy

Hi

Are you able to post a picture of the bogie?

I have built three of these and all roll quite freely.

Cheers

Paul

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 09:33:00 am »
I'd say just use the smallest pin drill you have (0.1mm or something) and just deepen the hole slightly, it's surprising how little adjustment is needed if an axle is running tight.

Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline xm607

• N Gauge Society Number: 5813
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 12:16:01 pm »
You could squeeze the bogie axle boxes with the axles in place (watch your fingers!) or file the axle pin point's down very slightly.
Steve.

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • NGS Product Development Officer
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 03:28:48 pm »
Or switch the bogies for ATM Ridecontrol bogies (which are correct IIRC).  Available from Bob at N-train.

Cheers, Mike

Offline PaulCheffus

• N Gauge Society Number: 4575
  • 2mm Association Number: 4172
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 03:31:02 pm »
Or switch the bogies for ATM Ridecontrol bogies (which are correct IIRC).  Available from Bob at N-train.

Cheers, Mike

Hi

They are indeed correct and I thought that was what was now supplied with the Cartic kit but maybe my memory is playing tricks on me and the last pair I bought were without the bogies.

Cheers

Paul

Offline NauticalFan

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2017, 04:48:24 pm »
I'd like to especially thank Nick, Steve and ntpntpntp for their suggestions. With the backup offer from a member of some replacement bogies, in case I overdid things, I tried out the suggestions.
I had previously tried squeezing the bogie sides together with no improvement.
The smallest drill I could fit in my pin drill was 0.4mm, but I gave it a try in several steps on two recesses  in one bogie, with no improvement.
At this point, it crossed my mind that the axles may be rubbing on the shoulders of the recesses in the bogie. I used a 1.3mm drill to trim back the shoulders. This made the required improvement on all but one axle.
The final axle yielded to a touch on the axle points with a file.

Success. Many thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

Roy

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
August Donations
Military Vehicle 3D prints

Price: £6.50
Date: 01/08/2017 01:11 pm