Joining Streamline to Setrack

Started by ChrisW, January 09, 2012, 02:47:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisW

My layout is currently all in Setrack but I need to add a couple of pieces of flexible track to get the right alignment for my Peco NB-80 train shed.

I've bought a length of track (SL-300), Xuron cutters and a pack of rail joiners (SL-310). Should I also have bought the additional sleepers (SL-309F) or can I get away without them?

m1racleman

you will have loads of spare sleepers on every offcut of track. Just trim the chairs off and slide under the join,   :thumbsup:

ChrisW

That's what I wanted to hear, thanks!

4x2

Just an extra pointer... On the setrack sections the rail joiner (fishplate) has a curly 'thing' underneath it that stop it being a nice fit between the rail and sleepers. You can straighten it up and cut off the excess or my choice is to twist off the original fishplate (they're spot welded/soldered - don't pull it, just twist it) and fit a new one which will be flat on the bottom.

God knows why they're different... Health and safety probably !
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

michael

you'll probabley want a file as well if your using those Xuron cutters.  :thumbsup:

Oldman

Quote from: michael on January 09, 2012, 08:24:10 PM
you'll probabley want a file as well if your using those Xuron cutters.  :thumbsup:
And a small packet of plasters.  Regard less of what I try to prevent it I always manage to stab myself  with at least one fishplate :( :thumbsup:
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

michael

sometimes when Im struggling to fit a fishplate I start to wince at the thought of whats about to happen

davieb

hi all  :wave:

i think we've all stabbed ourselves while fitting the little blighters at some point  :'(

when i'm laying track i keep a metal thimble handy, call me a whimp but it saves a whole lot of pain  ;D

also as 4x2 said the fishplates are fixed on setrack pieces so twist off as he says but do it carefully as they can break
leaving half the fishplate still in place right where it is the most difficult to remove  :o

dave  :thumbsup:

MikeDunn

Quote from: 4x2 on January 09, 2012, 07:26:53 PM
Just an extra pointer... On the setrack sections the rail joiner (fishplate) has a curly 'thing' underneath it that stop it being a nice fit between the rail and sleepers.
???  There I was thinking I'd bent some !!!  Right - where's the file  :smiley-laughing:

Mike

4x2

Quote from: davieb on January 09, 2012, 08:58:50 PM
hi all  :wave:

i think we've all stabbed ourselves while fitting the little blighters at some point  :'(

when i'm laying track i keep a metal thimble handy, call me a whimp but it saves a whole lot of pain  ;D

also as 4x2 said the fishplates are fixed on setrack pieces so twist off as he says but do it carefully as they can break
leaving half the fishplate still in place right where it is the most difficult to remove  :o

dave  :thumbsup:
I keep forgetting, not everyone is as gifted as i am... ::)  :smiley-laughing:

I have a freakishly strong index finger with no nerves and tough exterior to push in fishplates unaided - This is because I had a fight with a model airplane engine (going at about 11,000 rpm !!!) and lost !  :o

On the upside, I can still count to eight on my fingers... (think about it...) and push in fishplates without a thimble !  :smiley-laughing:
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Newportnobby

Lucky you, 4x2.
I always end up with my digits in tatters :'(

4x2

Quote from: newportnobby on January 09, 2012, 09:18:23 PM
Lucky you, 4x2.
I always end up with my digits in tatters :'(
I remember seeing a homemade tool for fitting fishplates...

Sorry about the quick sketch and rubbish pic (my good cam is on charge), but i think it's simple enough...

Mike

Bikeracer

I'm not a complete idiot..some bits are missing.

4x2

Mike

ChrisW

Thanks for all the tips. I've managed to lay my first bit of flexible track - and without any injuries!

Next things to learn - ballasting and scenery. How hard can it be?

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.23
Below Goal: £69.77
Site Currency: GBP
30% 
April Donations