PROJECT RAILWAY HONOUR BREAKS COVER

Started by acko22, September 11, 2016, 08:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StufromEGDL

Quote from: Calnefoxile on June 12, 2017, 10:31:03 AM
Quote from: StufromEGDL on May 26, 2017, 10:21:23 PM
Hi Been,

I'll make arrangements to get mine as I won't be at DEMU.

Regards...Stu

Suitably delivered by yours truly on Sunday  :D :D

Cheers

Neal.

Hi Gang,

Now been received and test run by my 9 yr old traction inspector.
Thanks to all involved in the logistic chain to get it to me.
And if Gareth reads this, well done & stay safe!!

Later,
Stu from EGDL.
A selection of my pictures, real & model ARE NOW to be found at...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/swidnod/

I always find things in the last place I look. weird huh??

acko22

Hi all,

Thank ypu to @Ben A for dealing with the posting of the Patriots it is really appreciated.

With a bit if luck I am very soon to get mine only 3 airports and 15 hours till I land back in the UK for a few days stand down although I do have a lovely squaddie tan!!!
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

alibuchan

Finally managed to see the real patriot go flying through Banbury yesterday.

At some point I might actually get my model out to have a look at it and maybe put a both of power to it.

Alistair.

portland-docks

i will be doing a video review of it very soon, stunning model runs fantastic!
Visit my heritage Railway "moorside Valley Railway"

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=9280.0

see first post for exhibition dates

RailGooner

Quote from: alibuchan on June 14, 2017, 07:29:13 AM
.. At some point I might actually get my model out to have a look at it and maybe put a both of power to it.

Alistair.

:smiley-laughing: Ditto.

acko22

Quote from: portland-docks on June 14, 2017, 09:10:34 PM

Well been a modeller and knowing how critical we can all be at some stage not sure if I should panic or not now!  :o

Although to see someone running the model and the pics of them all the way over in Oz and NZ is a nice pick up point.

Any takers in Canada, India and South Africa? Then we can say we have at least one model in the countries which most of the brave men fought from!
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

cornish yorkie

:hellosign: Gareth & all involved for making this happen, a tad later than planned but ordered through Revolution website yesterday, now looking forward to Patriot
   regards Derek.
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

portland-docks

Quote from: acko22 on June 15, 2017, 03:59:31 AM
Quote from: portland-docks on June 14, 2017, 09:10:34 PM

Well been a modeller and knowing how critical we can all be at some stage not sure if I should panic or not now!  :o

Although to see someone running the model and the pics of them all the way over in Oz and NZ is a nice pick up point.

Any takers in Canada, India and South Africa? Then we can say we have at least one model in the countries which most of the brave men fought from!

Nothing to panic about I assure you lol
Visit my heritage Railway "moorside Valley Railway"

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=9280.0

see first post for exhibition dates

25901JFM

Mine arrived this morning, what a lovely looking model it is.  Thanks to Gareth and everybody involved with the project for making it happen. 

John

cornish yorkie

:hellosign: Just got back (literely) from a week away & wow thanks to Gareth for his hard work & Mike & Ben for the posting the order. Patriot looks superb in excellent packaging- love the certificate a big   :thankyousign:
   regards Derek.
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

woodbury22uk

Not sure if this is the appropriate place for this but the photos below were taken yesterday on a visit to the National Memorial Arboretum at Alrewas, Staffordshire, close to Burton-upon-Trent and Lichfield. Amongst the hundreds of memorials is the Rail Industry Memorial shown below.

There are large special memorials for the Burma Railway and the Sumatra Railway and those who suffered in their construction during World War II. I found the whole visit extremely moving and would recommend it to anyone with the slightest interest in the 20th/21st century history of the UK, and the wider Commonwealth. There is no entry charge but donations are welcome. One sobering highlight is the enormous Armed Services Memorial which lists on its walls the names of the 22000 UK service personnel who have lost their lives in service since World War II.

http://www.thenma.org.uk/

Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

acko22

I will be honest and say thats the first I have seen of that memorial but its been a few years since I last had the chance to visit.

Sadly I 18 friends are on the memorial at the centre, but @woodbury22uk  says I personally would recommend people to visit even if you dont know of people who have or are serving.

While the UK hasnt seen the brunt of armed conflict since the bombings of WW2, the forces have been deployed everyday on operations, and in that time there has only been 3 years of those 72 years of relavtive peace in western europe where someone from the armed forces hasnt been killed whilst on deployment

LeftToMyOwnDevices

Quote from: woodbury22uk on July 02, 2017, 05:29:04 PM
...the National Memorial Arboretum at Alrewas, Staffordshire, close to Burton-upon-Trent and Lichfield. Amongst the hundreds of memorials is the Rail Industry Memorial shown below.

http://www.thenma.org.uk/

Thank you for that; I never knew that even existed.
Quite appropriately, perhaps, that it's an 8F on top of the monument...!

...which will probably be my next 'kettle' purchase, after another two subsequent '66' purchases, all in due course...

Yesterday, I went down to the South Coast Model Railway Club's show.
http://www.southcoastmodelrailwayclub.co.uk/exhibition.html

Whilst it may have only had just the one N Gauge layout :(, it was still a nice day out for me, as the show was very accessible from New Milton station.

I managed to pick up another 4 Freightliner flats (Farish) at a very reasonable second hand price (taking my total to 18... :hmmm: I might need to order more KFAs... :D).

On the train home, I was getting a bit misty-eyed nostalgic, as the train rounded the curve back into the Southampton area. As I glanced out at all the ISO containers stacked up in the Freightliner depot(s), I was reminiscing to myself about my time on Freightliners Ltd (c1988). At that moment, I just happened to glance out the window at all those 'anonymous'-looking Class 66 locos, when what did I see...

...but the nameplate of 66 418...! Along with the rest of the locomotive, of course... :)

It was only visible for a split-second, but it gave me a warm glow of pride, at what has been done to make it happen; in both 1:1 scale and 1:148 scale.

So, thank you again, Gareth, for having the idea and making it all happen (along with Ben and Mike at Revolution).
:thankyousign:

Charles.
"Underground, Overground: Our friends Electric"

acko22

Hi Everyone,

Well its been 1 year since the project became public and well as the saying goes what a difference a year makes!

This time last year the name and exact loco were still a closely kept secret, but as is history 66418 became Patriot - In Memory Of Fallen Railway Employees on the 11th November 2016 at Crewe Basford Hall.

It has been a long road to get here but one that's totally worth it, and despite the stresses and strains one I would begin again right from the start. The models have gone down a treat from what you all have been telling me and I am really happy that those of you that have a Patriot have enjoyed them.

When I set out on this project I had a few core aims:

1) Honour those brave railwaymen who gave their lives in service of the nation in World War One.
2) Raise awareness of the selected service charities.
3) Raise Funds for the service charities named.

And I feel that these aims are been reached amazingly and in the case of the first and in my view the most important one this has been exceeded with people saying they never realised how many railway men went to war and the fact that their trades were protected and all of these men were volunteers, which shows a special kind of bravery amongst all the brave men who went to war.

The naming I won't lie is well still a blur to me as I was a busy boy on that day, but from all accounts it was a good day from what people have told me! But since then it has been hard work with plenty of hurdles to overcome which with the help from all involved have been smoothly overcome.

So where is the project now? Well due to my unexpected trip abroad this year things have slipped the aim was to name a locomotive this year but due to all the paperwork and preparation that has to be done I have had to revise things.
The aim now is to have the next naming on the 1st April 2017 but it is also the centenary of the Royal Air Force so I think that is just as fitting a date to do the next naming.

As for the companies involved I will of course confirm them when I can but as before the name and the loco will be kept secret (well unless someone is willing bribe me!  :beers: ).

A huge thank you is owed to @Ben A and @red_death from revolution trains for their support from the start up to this point in a multitude of ways from the little things like checking my spelling, having me on their stand, taking online orders and posting the models while I was away.
Also Dapol who have done a cracking job of producing the models and making them 100% accurate to the day Patriot was named, they have been patient and really proactive with me to make sure everything was spot on and getting the job done in such a timely fashion, and Freightliner especially Chris Hewitt who worked hard to make the naming happen and have it at Crewe the home of the Patriot name (all 3 previous locomotives named Patriot were built at Crewe)

And finally all of you who have dug deep to purchase a model, without you all been willing to purchase the model the aim of raising funds for the ABF would not be happening! So a huge heartfelt thank you for your support!!

But of course with it been TINGS some picture of Patriot out and about

On Apa Park and Apagele @cazadoom layout

Even invading some DB territory on Little Ashton while @Skyline2uk wasn't looking!

Finally there are still Patriot available to buy and with the models having cleared the production costs all the money now will go to the ABF to help Service personnel, veterans and their families in times of need.

Thanks

Gareth

rusticged

:wave:
Hi Gareth
It was great to catch up with you again at TINGS.
Just another thought to raise the profile of Project Honour even further - you could consider asking Prince Harry to dedicate the next loco. Having been a serving soldier with a marked sympathy for all those who have suffered, I feel there is a good chance he would make himself available. It could also help to persuade a third freight company to come on board.
Cheers,
Ged
Rusticged

Layout: 'Leefield & Ashpeth'
Modelling Freelance British outline from the 1960s to the Present day.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations