!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Southgrove - modular layout based on Kato Unitrack  (Read 8956 times)

Steamie+

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Southgrove - modular layout based on Kato Unitrack
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2017, 05:35:09 am »
I really like the idea of the boxes and while the do look sturdy they are cardboard and after a while with you taking them out of the boxes they will deteriorate, before you get too far into building the scenery and detailing on them would you not like to try some 5mm ply and make a simple box from that, it would be really easy to do and it would last far longer donít you think. But if you are happy with the cardboard thatís great and after all it was free and thatís one of the things we must consider in our gauge donít we.  ;)

Please keep up with your brilliant modelling and post some on your modules soon.  Happy Modelling gc4946   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline gc4946

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 5936
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2017, 09:00:11 am »
Now the bank holiday's over and having spring cleaned my flat, I'll resume work on this layout.

I'm now deciding on which areas are to be finished off first - probably the curved road sections as they're a relatively simple paint job.

However, I'm not adding finer details that could get easily damaged in storage or transit.

Wooden boxes are a good idea, I could assemble them in my small flat, but as I don't own a car in order to bring the ply home and neither do I own big power tools, I would need the ply cut by a DIY/builder's merchant.
It was much easier and convenient for me getting hold of strong cardboard from neighbours and fashion them into boxes with the tools at my disposal and much less messier at home in the process.

Steamie+

« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2017, 06:18:28 am »
Completely understand @gc4946, we have to make do with what is at our disposal, and if you can get something for free and it does the job even better. Pity you donít live close to me, i have some left over board i could make a few boxes for you with, it wouldnít be to hard for me even if i am supposed to be recuperating. It would be a pleasure to help you with them so you would have a more secure and safer place to store your layout.   :thumbsup:

Offline gc4946

• Awards
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2017, 09:41:18 pm »
There should be good news soon on some of the specially-made road modules ...

Also, there'll be a decision made on adding a suitable hostelry for Southgrove ... knowing me it won't be any of the Metcalfe, other kit-built or RTP builds.

I organised a junior school reunion in 2002 not far from this pub "The Old House at Home" and had a drink there after that event, but it's been closed for several years.
Being an art deco style, it's rather different from most pubs one sees modelled
https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/13597/

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2017, 08:45:21 am »
An excellent choice for modelling.
Looking forward to seeing it under construction.
Interestingly, there is a pub very much like that one in Penzance.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline gc4946

• Awards
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2017, 08:38:57 pm »
Here's my six initial road sections which conform to Kato's geometry and their Dio Town system.

Despite more competition for time for activities during spring and summer, I prefer to paint whilst the weather's warmer, because paints dry faster and I can leave my windows open during this time of year to let paint odours blow away.

I've opted for a simple scheme - earth base with tarmacked roads and pavements. As I also have to cater for the 1940s/50s I haven't painted on any road markings. I've kept any buildings or other scenic features off these sections for maximum flexibility.

In all cases, Kato's double tracks are laid round the perimeter of this configuration.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 08:41:08 pm by gc4946 »

Steamie+

« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2017, 06:28:52 am »
There should be good news soon on some of the specially-made road modules ...

Also, there'll be a decision made on adding a suitable hostelry for Southgrove ... knowing me it won't be any of the Metcalfe, other kit-built or RTP builds.

I organised a junior school reunion in 2002 not far from this pub "The Old House at Home" and had a drink there after that event, but it's been closed for several years.
Being an art deco style, it's rather different from most pubs one sees modelled
https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/13597/

Also one very nearly the same in Maghull nr Liverpool, you can find it on the same site has the one you have shown gc4946.

Will be a brilliant model of an art deco pub.    :thumbsup:

Offline gc4946

• Awards
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2017, 12:14:27 pm »
NEW DEVELOPMENT AT BRANCHERRY CLOSE!

Highly desirable 1- and 2-bed homes with dedicated parking (some with garages) available for immediate purchase, close to Southgrove's amenities!

Enough of the blurb ...

these models were bought from a Bradford MRC event some years ago, they're professionally made to show to planners a proposed development, of which the display was broken up and the buildings sold.

size is 496 x 248mm, split on two boards for easier storage.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2017, 01:13:29 pm »
 :hellosign: Very nice addition, I`ll have one with a garage please  :thumbsup:
      regards Derek.

Offline gc4946

• Awards
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2017, 01:22:46 pm »
The backstory to this modern estate is that it used to be a bus depot until redevelopment ...

this may be the next area to be completed although I've yet to assess how much work still needs doing.

Offline gc4946

• Awards
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2017, 06:17:27 pm »
I'd rather incorporate the shops and offices into my preferred plan next because work's more advanced on their bases and structures.

Once Kato's double track sections are added outside the perimeter, it means the layout will be approx. 1 metre square.

Steamie+

« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2017, 07:45:09 am »
Looking good.    :thumbsup:

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2017, 07:50:02 am »
Very nicely modelled buildings.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline gc4946

• Awards
« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2017, 08:36:57 pm »
Southgrove's  "High Street" has thrown up a number of challenges in regard to road markings and how the roads interface with other home-made and Kato sections.

Kato splits their DioTown roads down the middle - it makes sense since in real life tarmac is applied on both halves and the main join is in the middle.

I've also had to apply British road markings - for now there's single yellow lines - created by masking off the roads and applying a Tamiya paint pen - which would have sufficed until the 80s, but I'll need to buy transfers to create scale-sized double yellow lines in future.

For comparison there's Kato's original Japanese version in beige butting onto the module.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 08:38:32 pm by gc4946, Reason: Duplicate image removed »

Offline gc4946

• Awards
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2017, 09:13:25 am »
This is my initial plan for Southgrove's cultural quarter.

The round-towered building (Tomix) will be called Lightly Gallery.

The white building (also Tomix) will become a public library.

A sculpture - and possibly other artworks - commissioned as public art will appear in the square - its name hasn't been decided yet.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything