!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project  (Read 58188 times)

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project
« Reply #1095 on: June 18, 2017, 01:38:29 pm »
I like Dropbox and prefer it to Photobucket, but either they're mean with a 2GB max capacity or I'm too mean to upgrade :-\
My vids take up a lot of space.

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • Awards
« Reply #1096 on: June 18, 2017, 07:03:59 pm »
Well, after all the agro, things are settling down a bit, although I still have to keep downloading software or installing it from a CD.  Over the last couple of days I have run the local goods and the milk train in a tail chase and also exercised the small local passenger behind the 57XX.  One piece of good news is that the toad brake van arrive, although, in my enthusiasm to open it, I slightly damaged one of the coupling pockets.  But it works OK and I have added it to the local goods.

I now have all the replacement track, so my next task will be to take up the cut track and replace it with whole, uncut lengths.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline port perran

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #1097 on: June 18, 2017, 08:54:59 pm »
Hopefully the new computer will settle down to serve you well.
I like the tosd brakevan. I have a weakness for those having about 8 in various liveries and degrees of weathering.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1098 on: June 19, 2017, 07:39:38 pm »
Today I started on the track replacement project.  First, I removed from the station area all the track that crossed board joins.  There were nine sections in all.  Hereís the position once thay had all been removed and the new ones laid down alongside the cork underlay.

Taking it up was easy.  But then I had to re-lay the new sections.  In the end, it didnít prove too arduous.  It was simply a case of cutting off the end sleepers and checking that the ends would accept rail joiners.  In some cases, I had to cut a section to be slightly shorter and, in one case, I had to insert a small section to connect to a point.  I was also able to remove some of the power feed joiners because most of the track had a power feed to each board, but now there are continuous sections across the board joins.  Here is the final result.

Clearly, tomorrow, I will have to test all the new sections to ensure that they all provide smooth running.  Then it will be on to the corner board joins.

With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1099 on: June 19, 2017, 07:57:38 pm »
Well worth all the extra work, I think, Laurence.

I also like your weathered WR "Toad" brake van. It's almost a local one, being Newton Abbot allocated. Like, Martin, I have a big collection of brake vans, including "Toads" in various liveries, and I sometimes run enthusiasts' brake van specials. I hope to run one, next month.

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1100 on: June 20, 2017, 08:49:22 pm »
I forgot to mention yesterday, that my Metcalfe parcel has now arrived, so I only await the ply wood for the back scene and kickboards.  First thing this morning, I tested all the new track with the Class 5 hauling the milk train.  Everything worked perfectly apart from a slight bump where one of the rails had not quite located into the power feed joiner and one of the points on the crossover from the milk platform to the branch would only work in one direction.  The first was overcome by lifting the section of track, reinserting it and re-sticking the section of track.  The second isnít too much of a problem because the point is close to the front of the board and can be easily operated by hand.  But itís now on my list of snags.

I didnít get much time in the Train Shed today, but when I did the first task was to sort out the faulty point.  At first it was reluctant to respond to my efforts, so I removed the PM1 and tested it on its own.  The first issue here was that I was getting short circuits, which I decided was through the frog.  So, I disconnected the frog from the PM1 and everything was now OK.  However, I still could not get the PM1 to operate the point.  This was one of the first points I installed and it used a slot for the point operating rod.  Later, I drilled 8mm holes because of problems with the slots.  Therefore, I reamed out the slot to make sure it was wide enough for the point motor operation.  When I put everything back together again, the point worked OK.  I have yet to test the performance of the frog.

Once that job was completed, I proceeded with removing the track from the curve at the UP end of the station tracks.  Hereís the result.

So tomorrowís jobs will be to lay new track across the board joins and test the point frog.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1101 on: June 21, 2017, 08:42:43 pm »
First thing this morning, I managed to insert all the replacement track on the bend.

I eventually returned to the Train Shed late in the afternoon and removed all the pins holding the track in place.  I then tested the UP and DOWN main lines with the milk train and the branch with the branch passenger.

Although all the new track worked perfectly, I discovered two problems.  Firstly, 6417 had developed a touch of reverse 80119-itis.  It was OK running forward, but not very good running bunker first, with constant stops and starts.  This was not so much a problem on the new track, but mainly on the original track.  I guess it is because this is the only loco that has not had a good run round for some weeks.  I will have to monitor it and see what can be done.  The big problem with it being a branch loco is that it needs to run in both directions, forward for UP and bunker first for DOWN.

The second issue was platform clearances.  For the latest track test, I replace all the station platforms.  Unfortunately, there were some places where I had glued down the new track too close to the platforms, leading to the locos being fouled by the platform edge at certain points.  I have now removed the platforms again and lifted the track to allow new Copydex to be brushed onto the cork underlay.  I then pinned the track down further away from the platform edges. 

I will need to retest the clearances in the morning before going on to remove the next set of board join track.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #1102 on: June 22, 2017, 10:32:24 am »
Looking good Laurence, I use copydex too it makes moving tracks easier has you seem to have found out. I have been there and worn the t shirt.
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1103 on: June 22, 2017, 08:24:59 pm »
I have had a lot to do today but, first thing, I managed to replace the platforms and retest the platform tracks.  There was one slight touch, but a small movement of the island platform was enough to ensure that everything worked OK.  However, I noticed that when both trains were running (Loco7, Stanier Class 5, 45206 Hauling the milk train and Loco 19, Class 64XX 6417 hauling the branch passenger), Point 32, the entrance point to the hidden branch DOWN run around, kept energising, fortunately without changing. 

Later I returned to the Train Shed and decided to investigate the point problem.  I tried running each train individually, in each case with no sign of the problem.  But, when I ran them both together, there were occasional twitches from the PM1.  Obviously the Digikeijs must have been getting an erroneous signal from the Gaugemaster controller.  Itís all very strange.  However, I also noticed that several tweeks were still required to get the island platform adjusted so that neither loco was fouled.  I discovered that the main problem with 6417 was the bottom step below the cab.  The problem area with 45206 was the cylinder casing nearest the platform edge.  In the end, I may have to shave a little off the platorm edges, although I will continue to try to edge the track away from the platform edge, if possible.  For 6417, I may need to shave off a fraction of a millimetre from the bottom step.  Finally, I tested both the mainline platforms with 80119, which has protruding valvegear.

Anyway, after all that, I took up the track from the bends on the DOWN side of the station.

Tomorrow, I will relay the track and then think about the two board joins at the approach to the hidden loops.  This will also give me an opportunity to replace the short lengths of concrete sleeper track in those areas with wooden sleeper track.  I received an Email today that my plywood for the back scenes and kickboards (also known as toe boards, but in the model railway fraternity the word facia boards is more common) has been despatched.  So I will soon have more to do that there are hours in the day (if that is not already the case).
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #1104 on: June 22, 2017, 08:35:30 pm »
If you have any plans to procure a class 08 diesel shunter, Laurence, I really suggest you do it now as that will almost certainly require your platforms to be altered.

Online dannyboy

• N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #1105 on: June 22, 2017, 08:48:01 pm »
class 08 diesel shunter, that will almost certainly require your platforms to be altered.

I think I have read elsewhere on the forum about the 08 clearance, but as I have a 08 on order, a timely reminder.  :beers:

Laurence - as you already manage 30 hours in each 24, I don't suppose a few more wil phase you.  :)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1106 on: June 22, 2017, 08:48:28 pm »
If you have any plans to procure a class 08 diesel shunter, Laurence, I really suggest you do it now as that will almost certainly require your platforms to be altered.
Thanks NPN.  I don't have any plans for a shunter as the station is a rural town with no provision for a shunter.  However, I will bear it in mind.  I have used Ratio platforms as a "get me off the ground" quick and dirty solution but, eventually, I may resort to a more sophisticated platform strategy.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1107 on: June 23, 2017, 08:39:38 pm »
This morning I re-laid the new track on the bend, replacing the cut pieces that I removed yesterday.  I also lifted the DOWN main on the other bend, where I had re-laid it, and slightly repositioned it to reduce the gaps at one of the rail joiners.  Then I tested the island platform clearances again.  I rather foolishly let 45206 and 6417 both start on a run to the station, forgetting that I had pinned the intervening track.  They soon came to a halt.  So, I simply took each loco off the track and placed them back on the track in the station.  The tests were fine so I also tested the Platform 3 with 80119 and that was fine too.

After that, there was plenty to do in the garden, which had pretty well dried up after the morningís rain.  I had lots of fruit picking to do, despite the efforts of the squirrels to decimate our strawberry bed.  Not only do they strip off the strawberries and sit on the top of the trellis eating them, but also, they damage the unripened fruit and flatten the plants.  This is the first year we have ever had a problem with the squirrels attacking the fruit.  They have also attacked the tayberries, breaking off many of the fruiting spurs.  They also damage our supposedly squirrel-proof bird feeders, chewing through sheet metal.

Anyway, at dinner time, the squirrel traps that I had ordered arrived - Hurray!  I have put them out and baited them with strawberries and brazil nuts.  Then, my ply sheets for the backscene and kickboards arrived, so now I have everything I need to be going on with for the time being.  Funnily enough, since the squirrel traps arrived, we havenít seen the slightest sign of a squirrel.

But back to the Train Shed.  This afternoon, I tested the track I had laid this morning and then set about replacing the track at the board join approaching the DOWN loops.  After a decent break for a cup of tea, I went back and tested the latest track laying.  I am pleased to say that everything worked perfectly.  So, then it was on to the board join approaching the UP loops.  I managed to lift the old track and lay the replacement track before tea time.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1108 on: June 24, 2017, 09:53:37 pm »
First thing this morning I carried out an end to end test with 80119 and 6417.  Everything went well.  Here they are making a brief stop at Marton Hinmarche.

I then retested the branch using 9744, which will eventually become the loco for the branch goods.  There was a slight bump at one rail joint where one of the rails had not located properly in the joiner.  So it was up with the track and re-Copydexing.  Later, I retested with 9744 and it was perfect.

Later still, I decided to carry out an end to end test with every train to ensure the track was 100%.  I began with 46122 Royal Ulster Rifleman chasing 5041 Tiverton Castle.  Here they are passing at speed through the station.

Then it was the turn of 6837 Forthampton Grange chasing 61664 Liverpool.  They both made a brief stop at Marton Hinmarche.

Then I brought out the two long distance goods, the fish train hauled by 92006 and the mineral train hauled by 3846.  Here there was a problem.  They would not take the curve approaching the UP loops without derailing, particularly 92006.  Drastic measures were called for.  In the end, I moved the DOWN line close to the edge of the baseboard, contravening my 50mm rule, but it will be protected by the backscene board.  This allowed me to increase the radius of the UP line and, when all had been stuck down, 92006 was able to take the curve without further ado.

Finally, I started work on the backscene.  Hereís the first board being fixed into place.

With kind regards
Laurence

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #1109 on: June 24, 2017, 09:57:11 pm »
It does seem that things are starting to gell Laurence.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here