!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: n gauge mine based layout plan  (Read 5259 times)

Offline outofgauge

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 15978
    • Ebay
    • Awards
Re: n gauge mine based layout plan
« Reply #90 on: June 11, 2017, 04:10:06 pm »
I will wait for some more opinion 's to appear - then try some - narrow would be the better option for pulling - less contact area - but wide adds stability ???? Sorry you could lose your marbles with all these problems !!! I'll get some track down and have a play !
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 06:31:34 pm by outofgauge, Reason: Spelling error »
Regards

Neil

Remember -this is not a practice !!
And I was Born ready .

Offline Webbo

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #91 on: June 11, 2017, 09:53:49 pm »
I will wait for some more opinion 's to appear - then try some - narrow would be the better option for pulling - less contact area - but wide adds stability ???? Lorry you could lose your marbles with all these problems !!! I'll get some track down and have a play !

Marbles, marbles .... where o where are my marbles?

Steamie+

« Reply #92 on: June 14, 2017, 08:13:37 am »
Think you should have a play mate, your head will be spinning more then the bogie wheels.  :)

Offline outofgauge

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #93 on: June 25, 2017, 05:53:04 pm »
Webbo  -uve gone and done it -i've ordered a packet of 12 metal wheelsets to try out -two reasons -this is no1 -

Saw these two for 12 -bargain -but everybody knows roundhouse bogies are :poop:and up popped the dreaded standard n coupler ! They are also plastic bodies -so have no weight -and don't travel well either -new micro trains bogies and metal wheels will help plus I'll weight the container that travels in there -speaking of which pme118 on ebay has various containers for sale 40'/45',48' at 5.50 a pair -10% for multiple buys -there by deluxe inno so not bad stuff !

Off the same man I also got a couple of wagons I'm gonna bash up and turn into the works rubbish bins -brand new still wrapped up and ready to go -just require name red leaded out and some rust adding -perfect -inc postage containers and wagons cost 35 !!!

Any way I'm on my knees begging -has anybody got four(4)spare micro trains 1039 pins I can beg, borrow ,steal, buy at enhanced price  :laugh3: they only suit roundhouse/ mdc gear and are like hens teeth here !

Back to the metal wheels saga -been playing on the test track with my metal shod kato bethgon coal trucks and the e&c shop leaders and tails ( because there microtrains coupler as standard ) and there struggling to keep up with the kato -especially the tail -so I'll try a conversion and see if there better ?
Awaiting the last four locos back from the weathering man - which I'll post asap and then this thread will close finally-for those who are interested -i've gone to forum - layout construction -Crooked Creek. Hope to see old and new there -starting with the baseboards -be posting soon ! TTFN
Regards

Neil

And I was Born ready .

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #94 on: June 26, 2017, 04:38:15 am »
Good one Neil

And you have noted a couple of extra benefits of metal wheels. Adding a bit of weight down low is good for rolling stock stability. Also, by adding weight to the wheels you increase their rotational inertia which will translate into slightly longer acceleration and deceleration times for your trains which is a good thing. The wheels are acting a bit like mini fly wheels. The biggest and about the only downside of metal wheels is $$$. I like mine.

Webbo

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #95 on: June 26, 2017, 04:42:08 am »
Except when some oddball from NSW turns up and causes derailments  :D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #96 on: June 26, 2017, 06:30:25 am »
Funny that George

Yes, you witnessed the worst derailment I've ever had. Also, that string of mk1s that kept uncoupling on the end bend when you were here works perfectly now even after I changed their order back to the original configuration.

All's well that ends well.
Webbo

Offline outofgauge

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #97 on: June 26, 2017, 06:43:44 am »
Are you two the harbinger s of doom - should I stop fight now and not bother  :laugh3: I've also seen it's best to bury the husky mid to late consist - but as my speed will be low - can't see there being a problem ?? As I said Webbo - the katos are metal shod and ohhhh so smooth across the track - plus as you said the odd clickety clack to go with it ! Does for me ! Emailed microtrains last night to see what's the best they can do with some 1039s - not paying the $30+ postage the shops want - surely there's a cheaper way - even postage from your shores is cheaper to here !!!
Regards

Neil

And I was Born ready .

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #98 on: June 26, 2017, 07:43:19 am »
Harbinger of doom George may be, but no damage was caused and we had a good time.

Don't have any Roundhouse stuff, but would it not be possible to drill them to take the pivot pin? Anyway, the 1039s shouldn't cost more than a few $$. Here is a site that doesn't have them for $3 (out of stock).

https://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Micro-trains-N-1039-Bolster-Pins-MDC-Type-p/mtl-00312031.htm

If you manage to get some Deluxe Innovation container cars, I think you'll find these are as good as the Katos, i.e. a wonderful piece of equipment.

Webbo

Offline outofgauge

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #99 on: June 26, 2017, 10:11:22 am »
Don't see the deluxe inno cars for sale - there either Vgood and nobody wants to part with them or just rare ??? At last I've found a site with the correct drill diameter - so as you say Webbo - I can only try and drill it out - got plenty of standard microtrains bushes and washers - will have a play tonight !
Regards

Neil

And I was Born ready .

Offline outofgauge

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #100 on: June 27, 2017, 10:09:57 am »
Webbo - with the deluxe inno cars - are we talking these -

Or these ???

found some of the lower greenbier ones for sake - but not the top ones !!
Regards

Neil

And I was Born ready .

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #101 on: June 28, 2017, 01:01:55 am »
The ones I have are the top type in TTX yellow livery (Maxi-Stack III). They come in strings of 5 and I can vouch for them. I don't know about the bottom type (Twin Stack), but would expect them to be of similar high quality.

Here's some more info on them:

http://www.deluxeinnovations.com/products/intermodalcars.html

Webbo

Offline outofgauge

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #102 on: July 07, 2017, 12:41:46 pm »
 :bounce: My boys are back from a trip round the spray booth in Leeds !! Yet again they look the part -

There are just two wagons left to return - ( the works dustbins ) and that will be it on here !
Regards

Neil

And I was Born ready .

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #103 on: July 07, 2017, 02:24:27 pm »
I really like the livery/weathering on the lower 3, Neil :thumbsup:

Offline outofgauge

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #104 on: July 07, 2017, 03:02:29 pm »
For what he charges Mick - he really does a superb job - just send him a photo or two of what you want - and no surprise you get a reply good version of it - top of his game I reckon !
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 08:49:14 am by outofgauge, Reason: Reorganise wording »
Regards

Neil

And I was Born ready .

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations