!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: East Lancashire lines  (Read 70781 times)

Offline Mito

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24863
    • Awards
Re: East Lancashire lines
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2015, 09:15:18 pm »
Highly sophisticated! The legs with the brackets and the nut glued on look good but I wonder if a nut screwed down from the top onto the bracket might not be a good idea to give a lock nut effect. Belt and braces :)
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2015, 11:15:31 pm »
Hi Mito, if you look you can just see the remaining nut ( they come with two nuts) under the top of the brkt which is also threaded so that acts has a lock nut against the brkt. I have been a bit busy with maintainance of my fish tanks and the filter on my main tank broke, so I had to go and buy a new one.
So tonight I have done a bit of painting plus added bus wires to the new module. Tomorrow I am expecting some more bits from Station Road Baseboards, a few more of the feet and catches, enough to finish the job. So plenty to do tomorrow in the woodwork department. I can not wait to lay some track  it would be better if I can get a full run so hence finish the baseboards first.
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2015, 11:34:23 pm »
Hi guys more boring stuff today woodworking making legs then painting etc. I did realise that  1' wide is not enough for a decent station so I have added another 6" to the width of the 4'' station module, I am having to patch it together with bits of plywood but that is no problem. That board will have it own integeral folding legs, figured it out tonight and put a plan in to action. I also need to make the other "L" shaped board to complete the continious run, it's all coming together now.
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2015, 11:19:21 pm »
Woodwork continues today, after making and then painting the legs I have fitted them too the 4' board, I have also widened the board to 18" wide which I think should be ok. I have even painted the legs I made the other day for the 3' board. Here are a few pics of progress so far just one corner board to make and I can put them all together and hopefully start on the track. Not made my mind up about the track joins, I think I will go with the well tested route of screws and the track soldered to them, I had thought of gluing the track but it is too risky, I want it right first time.I am trying to keep the track as straight as possible over the joins so that should help, no angled track.
First pic is the 4' module, I am having to patch it with pieces of ply.
second pic the 4' module looking from the end
third pic is the 3' module with its legs now painted.
and finally a overall view of the layout, the corner and the 4' are not joined yet just placed in position, you can see the space waiting for the final section.
by the way the legs on the 4' module fold up and fit inside if required, although that will not happen too much.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 11:20:59 pm by lil chris, Reason: extra text »
Lil Chris

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2015, 05:34:46 am »
Not long now until the 'Fishplate Finger' phase, Chris >:D ;)

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2015, 10:44:22 pm »
Yes Mick, I am looking forward to that this time, it should be easier than the junction I built with 2 crossovers and two slips etc, ie 13 point switches. It is going to be a lot simpler this time, must admit I have learned a lot from my previous layout. For one the feeds are being soldered to the sides of the track and then disguised later, it makes it easier to lay the track. I just need to get to grips with soldering the track to screws at the ends of the boards, having never done that before. I might practice first on a couple of bits of track. The idea of this layout is being able to split it into sections, easy to work on individual sections and If I move home in the future, easy to move. I will make the final corner board this weekend, I have fitted dowels to the other boards. I need support stays for the 4' board the legs move to much, now where is that old pasting table, I better not let swmbo see me get it out or I will end up decorating somewhere.
Lil Chris

Offline ColinH

• N Gauge Society Number: 24448
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2015, 11:06:21 pm »
I just need to get to grips with soldering the track to screws at the ends of the boards, having never done that before. I might practice first on a couple of bits of track. The idea of this layout is being able to split it into sections, easy to work on individual sections and If I move home in the future, easy to move.

I have just been doing this with an extension to my layout (must post some stuff to my own thread soon) and used Zinc and yellow passivated Turbodrive woodscrews 2.5x1.2mm from B&Q. Placed track in desired position across board joint, mark and remove necessary sleepers, mark line of rail onto board then insert screws. Adjust screw head to correct height so rail sits on top of screw without lifting sleepers from board. Tin screw head and bottom of rail. Reposition rail and apply soldering iron. When ready cut through rail and it should be perfectly aligned. Had no problem with the soldering at all  :claphappy:

Did all that and then split and lifted boards so that I could start wiring and oh dear  ??? think I placed the screws too close to the board edges because some of the soldering has come undone and will need to be redone. I have no room to move the boards apart before lifting as they completely fill the space between the front and back walls of the shed. Am thinking of putting a couple of screws under each rail to give a sounder connection. Hope they will be hidden by ballast then.

They say we learn by our mistakes.
My layout Much Puffindun can be seen at http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17426.msg173415#msg173415
Warning: Being a NGF member can seriously restrict your available modelling time

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2015, 11:40:05 pm »
Thanks for that Colin much appreciated, I plan to separate most boards to store the layout when not in use, that is why I have made it modular. The thought occurred to me I could use the station module on its own with just a fiddle yard as well for quick running sessions, so getting the track lined up is important to me, thanks again.
 I will have to think how I am going to disguise the joins between boards too, a road bridge over the railway that lifts off seems a common way of doing it or possibly a tunnel entrance just before the join. I have not started to lay the track yet so that is a way off.
Lil Chris

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2015, 09:10:21 am »
  :greatpicturessign: thanks for sharing your inspirational woodworking skills.
regards Derek

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2015, 08:59:43 pm »
Another way of fixing the rails is to use vero board as used for electronic circuits. Solder a couple of centimetres to the rails remembering to remove a bit of copper between the rails. It will need some filling under the board then glue it too the baseboard. A very strong method.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2015, 10:56:44 pm »
Thanks Mito, I think I have some vero board somewhere from a disused project. I have bought some screw now has suggested by Colin. All the Clubs seem to use the screw method with there exhibition layouts, it seems to work.
Today I went to B & Q and bought the above mentioned screws plus a new pasting table. I then smuggled the table into the house while swmbo was out and then cut the old table up and pinched the bars off it and the two hinges. here is a pic of the 4' module now with the bars on, I used two so have two spare. Also in the pic is the corner board in place complete with back board and catches fitted.
Note the trestle under the corner board, that now has the pasting table hinges.
And thanks Derek, my woodworking skills are not has good as I would like.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 11:05:39 pm by lil chris »
Lil Chris

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2015, 11:01:02 pm »
Good to see that you're making fast progress, Chris. Keep the updates coming, please. 8-)

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2015, 09:11:24 pm »
Chris, one thing I've just thought of. You might already know about it, is if you are running the track across the join between modules then cutting the track, it's an idea to put a thin spacer between the modules so that when the track is cut, the spacer can be removed and the track lines up without a gap between the modules.

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2015, 10:49:18 pm »
Thanks for the tip Mito, I will try that. The first join is between the fiddle yard and the first 3' module with the viaduct, they will be on different circuits so I want seperation but also good running across the join, The station board (4') will also be on a different circuit breaker. I not done much on the layout today, I have been re organising the loft room, moving the furniture around, I want access past the layout if possible so I do not have to strip it down after every session. I intend to make the final corner board tomorrow then that will need painting than I can have seroius fun. Before I lay the track I need to decide on the configuration of the station, I am looking at two stations that where in the area,well they both still are on the East Lancashire preservation railway, and doing a track plan based on them both. Bury Bolton st  is quite nice but has no goods facility because there was a seperate goods yard's and sidings away from the station, while Ramsbottom has a goods yard and a goods shed on the other side plus a bay platform and a single slip at the entrance to the station. I want a small goods yard at the station plus possibly a bay platform, Bury has both like I said but no goods.
Lil Chris

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2015, 10:53:18 pm »
Thanks for the update, Chris. Combining the best of Bury Bolton St. and Ramsbottom (both of which I have visited over 10 years ago) sounds an excellent plan.

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
August Donations
Military Vehicle 3D prints

Price: 6.50
Date: 01/08/2017 01:11 pm
Time Left: 10d 5h 27m