Poole Farish rare items - are there any?

Started by belstone, July 27, 2015, 11:58:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Northern Git

Here you are for those that haven't seen the Farish 47 in Red stripe livery and the Minitrix 47 that stopped it.
I hope this works not used to post pictures.

[smg id=27619 type=preview align=center caption="Re: Poole Farish rare items - are there any?"]

Northern Git

The Minitrix Red Stripe 47

[smg id=27625 type=preview align=center caption="Re: Poole Farish rare items - are there any?"]

DesertHound

Quote from: joe cassidy on July 28, 2015, 08:31:49 PM
Quote from: captainelectra on July 28, 2015, 07:37:32 PM
Quote from: Mirrlees on July 28, 2015, 03:39:22 PM
I have got a 158 in the Thailand livery, not sure if it is rare or not.

What that RTR or one of mine, Tim? If it's RTR, I've never heard of it but it could have been produced as a promotional model.

Is "Thailand livery" the same as "toothpaste livery", i.e. blue/white/red stripes ?

Best regards,

Joe

I loved that one Mirrlees - thank you for the chuckle. There I was thinking Farish had painted a 158 in a Thai livery!

Dan
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

DELETED

Flipping hec, there's me been googling "thai" liveries as not heard of that one but always keen to learn (embarrased).

...Google search to the rescue!  I hope they were cleaned up before sending out, usually they're full of rubbish and strange looking stains on the seats -and the heaters always on full blast!

Mirrlees

Quote from: DesertHound on July 28, 2015, 10:45:46 PM

I loved that one Mirrlees - thank you for the chuckle. There I was thinking Farish had painted a 158 in a Thai livery!

Dan

It is ready to run. :)  I think it was produced for BREL, but I am not sure.  I will get the model out and get a photo of it   :thumbsup:
Tim Hitch
NGS Display Stand Manager

carderrail

Tim,

I knew these were produced but never seen one - if you can take some Photos I will add to my website with pics of the other Farish oddities... I have tracked down most of the non-UK Farish models.

The Bachmann GIF Class 37 evaded me, there was a Spanish shop selling them but they seem to disappear, based on usual 500+ produced there must be some hiding on some Spanish layouts.

Thanks

Tony

Quote from: Mirrlees on July 29, 2015, 12:01:32 AM
It is ready to run. :)  I think it was produced for BREL, but I am not sure.  I will get the model out and get a photo of it   :thumbsup:

Mirrlees

No problem.

I've now just got to Box 10!!!
Tim Hitch
NGS Display Stand Manager

DesertHound

Quote from: Mirrlees on July 29, 2015, 12:01:32 AM
Quote from: DesertHound on July 28, 2015, 10:45:46 PM

Dan

Ah Tim

So that wasn't a typo then? Still funny, but amazing to hear that they made something for Thailand.

Would love to see a picture, and thanks for bringing this one up.

Cheers

Dan
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

DesertHound

Quote from: Skyline2uk on July 28, 2015, 03:34:23 PM
Thanks for posting that catalogue extract, I had that edition.

Was that in the main catalogue or a special supliment?

Skyline2uk

Looks like it's from the main catalogue Skyline, 1987.

Dan

Dr Al

Quote from: DesertHound on July 29, 2015, 08:57:36 AM

Those limited editions were not released until the mid 1990s, so it can't be from 1987.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Ensign Elliott

Quote from: johnlambert on July 27, 2015, 12:48:07 PM
As far as I can tell there was a final run of Graham Farish Halls that came with blackened wheels plus a new front bogie that included closer to scale wheels and a NEM pocket to accommodate a front coupling.  I've got one and I've seen another for sale but they're rare compared with the earlier versions with the tiny bogie wheels.

Assuming you picked this up second hand, are you sure the new front bogie with NEM pocket isn't a later addition by someone.

I've seen a couple of Poole Halls for sale with bogies from other locos fitted - one had a bogie from a B1 I think. I've always been a bit dubious about them though as you can't tell how well they fit and run.

I have a couple of the final  Halls and Castles, all with blackened wheels but none of them have a different bogie other than the then standard one with tiny wheels. Would GF have gone to the trouble of making a new specially designed bogie for such a small run??

Dr Al

Quote from: Ensign Elliott on July 29, 2015, 11:28:49 AM
Assuming you picked this up second hand, are you sure the new front bogie with NEM pocket isn't a later addition by someone.

I have a couple of the final  Halls and Castles, all with blackened wheels but none of them have a different bogie other than the then standard one with tiny wheels. Would GF have gone to the trouble of making a new specially designed bogie for such a small run??

Yes, they did on the very last production run of Halls (normal run of 1008 models) - the bogie whas changed for that of one of the newer tool models.

It's worth noting that this was well after production moved to China, so is not an English Poole made model, though does still use some of the tooling.

Of course there will always be a few out there that owners have modified too as you rightly say, but this one generally is a bone-fide factory release.

Cheers,
Alan

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Ensign Elliott

Quote from: Dr Al on July 29, 2015, 11:34:43 AM

Yes, they did on the very last production run of Halls (normal run of 1008 models) - the bogie whas changed for that of one of the newer tool models.

It's worth noting that this was well after production moved to China, so is not an English Poole made model, though does still use some of the tooling.

Of course there will always be a few out there that owners have modified too as you rightly say, but this one generally is a bone-fide factory release.

Cheers,
Alan

Thanks Alan, that's really interesting. I must have completely missed them at the time. I wonder if Bachmann have any spares they could send... I have 6 Halls which would look better with these replaced!

DesertHound

Quote from: Dr Al on July 29, 2015, 09:33:13 AM
Quote from: DesertHound on July 29, 2015, 08:57:36 AM

Those limited editions were not released until the mid 1990s, so it can't be from 1987.

Cheers,
Alan

Ooooops ... my mistake, I meant to type 1997.

Dr Al

Quote from: DesertHound on July 29, 2015, 01:34:29 PM
Ooooops ... my mistake, I meant to type 1997.

:thumbsup: yes, sounds more like it - I recall buying one of those 56s back in the day a year or two after release (I think they were having difficulty shifting the 56s...), now getting to be oh, such a long time ago.

I've got a couple of early catalogues and excerpts in good nick if folk would be interested in some scans...

cheers,
Alan

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.23
Below Goal: £69.77
Site Currency: GBP
30% 
April Donations