!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Kato Rhaetische Bahn series  (Read 7881 times)

Offline daffy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26722
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
Re: Kato Rhaetische Bahn series
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2016, 05:43:30 pm »
Many thanks Gordon, both for the info and for the impetus to get me looking for a shot of the new livery.

Here's what I found:

http://www.bahnbilder.de/bild/schweiz~rhaetische-bahn~e-loks-ge-4-4-iii/965154/ge-44-644-savognin-im-neuen.html

I suspect this website is nothing new to you, but I was really pleased to find it, and soon found it had such a wealth of photos of the Rhb line and stock.

Hopefully it will be new to others like me.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2016, 01:36:47 am »

I suspect this website is nothing new to you, .

Indeed not, and for some RhB photos taken on 14 September, I saw the photographer taking them!

BTW, you ain't seen nothin' yet...

start drooling

ready?...

http://www.haribu.ch

Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

Offline daffy

• Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2016, 08:16:45 am »
Lucky man.

Now don't tell me you've got a picture of ........... 8)  :jawdropping:

My my! :D

I look forward to it.  :thumbsup:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline daffy

• Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2016, 01:52:34 pm »
Hi Gordon, it seems the link in your last post wasn't showing when I read it, hence my evidently rather odd reply above.* I see the link now and thank you for the excellent link to all those lovely Swiss locos and other rolling stock. Superb. :thumbsup:

I am still awaiting delivery of my GE Unesco model and understand that Digitrax do a suitable digital decoder. However, I am struggling to find one for the Allegra EMU. Have you managed to source one?

*- there is of course the possibility that I'm a victim of creeping senility and just didn't see your link. :uneasy:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2016, 12:28:39 am »

I am still awaiting delivery of my GE Unesco model and understand that Digitrax do a suitable digital decoder. However, I am struggling to find one for the Allegra EMU. Have you managed to source one?

Having held off the Unesco set as I was busy repainting original red 644s from the original wave of GEX sets that I got dirt cheap when they first came out, I saw one on sale at the Folkestone show last week so decided to buy it before any more silly falls in the ...

Sorry, I'm not into Digital so cannot help. With elctric outline models I'm happy with the natural hum that traction units have in N gauge, so I don't feel the need for any more sound.

European railway expert

Offline daffy

• Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2016, 01:36:10 pm »
Saw this item dated 11/10/2016 on Bahnonline.ch today about the GE 4/4 III loco variation liveries. I don't remember seeing the 'Die Kleine Rote' version on the n model 650 before. All listed at 179.99, and confirming the Lazzarini is now no longer available.

http://www.noch.de/pdf/ueber-noch/handelsmarken/kato/2016/08-2016/Update-08-2016_Endverbraucher.pdf

And available here

http://www.modellbahnshop-lippe.com/produkt/KATO/36-2-005001-269049-0-0-0-36-11-2-0-gatt-gb-h-0/produkt.html

Seems this was probably a press release from August, so apologies if it is old news.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 01:46:29 pm by daffy »
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2016, 11:10:45 pm »
Saw this item dated 11/10/2016 on Bahnonline.ch today about the GE 4/4 III loco variation liveries. I don't remember seeing the 'Die Kleine Rote' version on the n model 650 before. All listed at 179.99, and confirming the Lazzarini is now no longer available.

Seems this was probably a press release from August, so apologies if it is old news.

AAgh [expletive deleted!] this is a complete surprise to me - and I'm supposed to be the expert on the stuff!

I don't recall the 'Kleine Rote' or 'Coop' being mooted.

I'm irritated as well as surprised, as members probably know from previous posts I did a home repaint to create a Coop loco. Now (as so often when us modellers do a scratch or kit build only for it to be followed by a ready to run issue) I'm feeling a little deflated.

The 'irritated' feeling comes from the fact that, ideally,  what we need from  Kato is ready to run versions of the complex advertising liveries. The Kleine Rote is mainly red with lettering, Coop is mainly white with lettering, and Lazzerini was mainly yellow with some lettering.

Kato would better serve us if they produced the intricate such as 'RhB Team' or 'Hockey Club Davos' and particularly '20 Minuten'

European railway expert

Offline daffy

• Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2016, 08:34:45 am »
Ah, but you do have the satisfaction and joy of having done the conversion yourself, as well as keeping at least 148.00 in your bank account.

I came across this news completely by accident as I was idly surfing the Net looking for supply of individual Bernina Express carriages. As you know the 5 car powered set by Kato has the Allegra EMU 'Friedrich Hennings' plus two carriages, Car 4: Type Api 1304 - 1st Class panorama coach, and Car 5: Type Bps 2515 - 2nd Class panorama coach. I already have the 4 car add on set but wanted to find these two to use behind my ''Willem Jan Holsboer' EMU as well. No luck though.

I did note some weeks ago that AB Modellen did a Coop loco but this was, I think, their own mod and very pricey, as are all their mods, a fact I think you mentioned earlier.

I agree with you that Kato-Noch are taking the easy paint job/logo approach to their mods. It would be nice to see more complex editions, though my bugbear at the moment is the lack of other Rhb stock in general from any source. I would really like to see some GE 4/4 II's, earlier coaches, and of course a baby Krokodil. Oh yes, and a Swiss steam loco like Rhaetia. One day maybe.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2016, 08:43:50 am »
The 'irritated' feeling comes from the fact that, ideally,  what we need from  Kato is ready to run versions of the complex advertising liveries. The Kleine Rote is mainly red with lettering, Coop is mainly white with lettering, and Lazzerini was mainly yellow with some lettering.

Kato would better serve us if they produced the intricate such as 'RhB Team' or 'Hockey Club Davos' and particularly '20 Minuten'

Isn't that what 'you want', not what 'we need'? Quite different! The same factors that make the more intricate liveries harder to recreate for your average punter at home are also going to be relevant for Kato themselves. As they're not really aiming these at the serious modellers why bother to go to the hassle of making a hash of the more complex liveries!?

They're nice models, but not exactly an accurate hi-fidelity scale model, and surely if you want top quality RhB models you look to Bemo, who tend to be very responsive on all the advertising liveries.

Offline daffy

• Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2016, 09:17:35 am »

Isn't that what 'you want', not what 'we need'? Quite different! The same factors that make the more intricate liveries harder to recreate for your average punter at home are also going to be relevant for Kato themselves. As they're not really aiming these at the serious modellers why bother to go to the hassle of making a hash of the more complex liveries!?

They're nice models, but not exactly an accurate hi-fidelity scale model, and surely if you want top quality RhB models you look to Bemo, who tend to be very responsive on all the advertising liveries.

An interesting viewpoint re the liveries but one i must say I can't agree with, particularly as complex Rhb model logo printing will be no more difficult for Kato/Noch than anything else they currently produce, and they don't make a 'hash' of them any more than many other manufacturers do.

Also, as I am currently looking to increase my Rhb and other Swiss metre gauge stock,  I thank you for for the heads up to Bemo but I must confess I am struggling to find anything other than diesel railcars by them in N Gauge for Swiss items, and nothing at that scale for Rhb. Can you point me to a supplier. Many thanks.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Online njee20

• Awards
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2016, 09:42:56 am »
Bemo are HOm, rather than N. But my point is that the Kato models aren't N either, they're arbitrarily scaled up to 1:160, meaning they almost lose their narrow gauge proportions.

Of course there's a level of risk associated with more detailed liveries, the resolution of the printing becomes an issue. Looking at "20 minuten" there's a lot of very fine writing which may not recreate nicely in N gauge. Hornby said they wouldn't do First Great Western's "local lines" livery due to the inability to get the tiny writing to look right.

It may not be a reason at all, but IMO to expect a manufacturer to only produce the most complex liveries is to miss the point somewhat.

Offline daffy

• Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2016, 10:14:41 am »
Okay, sadly another avenue to find good metre gauge Swiss stock closes for me. Ah well, I enjoyed the look at Bemo's HO stuff, particularly the Krokodil kit.

I accept that complexities at small scale may be a little lost or overly simplified, but my skills are such that even a poor representation is better than what I could produce. In truth, what i am looking for are memories and nostalgia on a layout, so a loco I have had personal contact with means more than most, and it is the ones in real life that stand out from the crowd that get noticed more. So if a model manufacturer produces that stand-out livery, accurately or not, I may well choose it if it has a meaning for me.
I believe that memory and meaning is the driving force behind Kato's marketing of its European range, given the high number of Japanese tourists I've met on my travels in Switzerland eager to buy a souvenir.  Marketing to Europe, and worldwide, is I suspect an afterthought in some respects.
Even those liveries that have been produced by Kato are often as not a short-lived identity for the real locos involved, so I am hopeful that, over time and with push from Noch, more liveries,  complex or not, are sure to appear from Kato. Maybe some will have meaning for me for both past and future memories.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Online njee20

• Awards
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2016, 10:43:29 am »
Okay, sadly another avenue to find good metre gauge Swiss stock closes for me. Ah well, I enjoyed the look at Bemo's HO stuff, particularly the Krokodil kit.

I accept that complexities at small scale may be a little lost or overly simplified, but my skills are such that even a poor representation is better than what I could produce.

I'm sure that's the case for virtually of us without a tampo printer and lots of patience! But can you really imagine Kato releasing a "poor representation" of a loco, when they have literally dozens of other liveries they could go at without any such complexity? 99% of people will rather have an excellent representation of an ostensibly simple livery, rather than a bad representation of a more complex one. I reckon the number of people repainting these locos will be countable on one hand! It's a niche of a niche of a niche!

Like I say, they're nice, I imagine Kato are surprised by the success, AFAIK they were done for the 'train set' Japanese tourist market (hence the weird scale, colossal gap between coaches, only offering the Glacier Express coaches etc). It'll be interesting to see how far they expand the range. Swisscom was probably my favourite, with the skier.

Offline Mu17

• Awards
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2016, 10:56:48 am »
A while back a member mentioned to me that Zentralbahn were discussing with Kato a set of their modern stock - of course only one livery possible - anyone heard any more about that.

Years ago I was chatting to the folk who run MITV and made all the excellent Swiss railway videos - they spent a lot of time over there and had many railway friends - but were permanently exasperated at the inability of the various railways to see the possibilities of merchandising.

Personally I can only recall Arosa station having some Arosa Bemo stock.  Full marks to Kato and I hope they keep expanding the range.

Paul

Online njee20

• Awards
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2016, 10:58:59 am »
There's an LGB GE 4/4 iii at the worksite adjacent to the new Albula tunnel. Would be good to have a proper layout somewhere!

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £87.00
Above Goal: £32.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
June Donations

Advertise Here
anything