!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Blair Atholl, 1980-1986  (Read 13288 times)

Offline McRuss

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18877
    • Isle of Skye Railway
    • Awards
Re: Blair Atholl, 1980-1986
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2016, 07:07:00 pm »
That looks great.

Markus

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2016, 09:09:46 pm »
The station building looks like an excellent model, Paul. The trackwork is pretty impressive, too.

Online newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2016, 10:44:47 pm »
Good to see such progress being made, and the station building looks like it will be a cracker :thumbsup:

Offline Mr PJ

• N Gauge Society Number: 25884
  • 148: 1 and 1:1 classic 80's diesels...
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2016, 10:58:06 pm »
Thanks for the kind comments.
Its lucky I like scratch building, as all structures (except one PW hut, perhaps!) need to be built from scratch for this layout. I will use textured plasticard for all the buildings, as I think -even in 2mm scale - texture adds a lot to buildings
At last I feel things are beginning to take shape. I have got the ballasting out of the way, I always find that the time spent painting the rail sides is wasted as it all gets chipped off when I remove excess ballast from the running rails! Perhaps I do things wrong somewhere, but it seems to look okay in the end, which is the main thing.
Thanks
Paul (watching a rather nasty Father Finton Stack on TV at the moment....)

Online cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2016, 11:32:37 pm »
 :hellosign: nice work &  :greatpicturessign: thanks for the updates
regards Derek.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #50 on: February 29, 2016, 08:14:49 am »
Good morning Paul, I will also have to scratchbuild most of the buildings, especially the station building, for Cant Cove and wondered which textured plasticard you use for your buildings as mine are also stone-built?

Offline Mr PJ

• Awards
« Reply #51 on: February 29, 2016, 12:16:22 pm »
Hello Chris,

The walls are Slater's Medium stone courses (the small courses are too small for my purposes). I also use their dressed stone, and may have to use random stone (both 2mm scale) for some structures.

The roofs are packs by ratio as the tiles look a lot more prototypical to me. They also do stone walling sheets which are very good for retaining walls and bridges etc.

Cheers
Paul

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #52 on: February 29, 2016, 12:31:27 pm »
Many thanks, Paul. I've not, yet, bought and tried any Slater's stone courses. I think the medium will also be best for me for the station building but will also have a look at the small courses, and their dressed and random stone (both 2mm scale) for some other structures.

I am familiar though with the Ratio roof sheets, (as well as their other plastic sheets), and have plenty of these. I also have some large German N Scale stone walling sheets, bought locally.

Offline scruff

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: February 29, 2016, 01:06:37 pm »
Have you seen this? I know it is Orribly Oversize but it may contain some useful information..

http://www.blairatholl-drumochter.co.uk/

Cheers
Mark

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2016, 10:50:00 am »
Hi Paul,

Nice work, my eventual layout will be located a bit further south around Gleneagles/Auchterarder, but I know this part of the world well - Dunkeld has to be one of the prettiest stations around.  My better half works for the EA and has spent the best part of 5 years trying to get SSE to put more water down the Garry, so I look forward to seeing you model this (though in the period you are modelling, it will still show up as a trickle in a dried up river bed!)

Look forward to seeing your updates

Cheers,
Andrew

Offline Mr PJ

• Awards
« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2016, 12:53:35 pm »
Hello,

The OO version of Blair Atholl does indeed have a good website, quite useful - but I just wish I could get hold of some of the building measurements they used! The standard of building is pretty awesome, but I am sure I can get away with a few inaccuracies in N... :-[

As for the Garry - more water would be great - it looks a bit sad at the moment with lots of grey rocks and a trickle of water. I am sure even in the 1980s there was more of a flow than there is now.
Auchterarder and Gleneagles also both nice areas, although a more intensive train service. Looking forward to seeing your layout when its started Andrew.
Regards,
Paul

Offline Mr PJ

• Awards
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2016, 09:25:39 pm »
Good evening,

I've made a little bit of progress on the scenery, the ballasting is complete now, but I must confess I have to wire up all the point motors for the second storage yard, might do a few of them this weekend. But I enjoy the scenic side most of all, and it will nice to see a bit of greenery at last.

I have mainly used a card framework covered in my favourite bubble wrap, which will get a covering of newspaper cut into triangles pasted over the top before the grass is applied. I might experiment with some static grass. I suppose we all have to move forward with new ideas, rather than just remain static :D
For the more hilly areas I have used some polystyrene blocks, or even old foam to provide a bit of height. I have also had to cut a few centimetres out of the baseboard frame so that I could represent the bridge north of Blair Atholl where the B8079 passes underneath the railway (in reality a couple of miles from the station, but I've had to condense things a little!)
Tilt Bridge takes shape
Tilt Bridge takes shape
The route North to Drumochter
The route North to Drumochter
B8079 under-bridge
B8079 under-bridge
[/url]

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2016, 09:49:53 pm »
That's coming along very nicely. I'm really enjoying following this project as it evokes fond memories of the lunch I had at Blair Atholl a few years ago.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2016, 09:59:23 pm »
Looking good.
I always enjoy the "under construction" photos.
Keep up the good work.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2016, 09:09:47 am »
Thanks for the detailed description and photos. of the scenery under construction. It's already developing a 'Highlands' look. Interesting to see that you're using a combination of cheap easily available materials.

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
July Donations

Advertise Here