!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Blair Atholl, 1980-1986  (Read 13288 times)

Offline scotsoft

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Scottish n' Newcastle
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: Blair Atholl, 1980-1986
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2015, 07:43:35 pm »
Hi Paul,

I feel if you glued a decent layer of polystyrene to the underside of your layout that is above the radiator, then glue some reflective foil to the polystyrene then that should reflect the majority of the heat.

Cheers John.

:toot:

Offline MJKERR

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: X23832
    • Awards
Re: Blair Atholl, 1980-1986 (and question about building above radiators)
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2015, 08:16:30 pm »
now be above a radiator, probably only about 7cm from the top of the radiator to the actual baseboard
I am not sure if this could cause warping to the wood
What type of radiator?
Had a look in the photos and could not see one

7cm clearance should be more than enough for most type of radiators
If in doubt, put a layer of tin foil, a gap, and another layer of tin foil

Online Mito

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24863
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2015, 08:58:47 pm »
I'd put some form of insulation otherwise there could be serious evaporation ending up with a dry river  bed  :D
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Online newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2015, 10:06:42 pm »
Anyway some photos to follow in a few days to prevent Newport Nobby becoming confused...

Too late  :P
Living, as I do, in a home for the confused and bewildered such a state is perpetual :confused1:

Offline Mr PJ

• N Gauge Society Number: 25884
  • 148: 1 and 1:1 classic 80's diesels...
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2015, 11:22:48 pm »
now be above a radiator, probably only about 7cm from the top of the radiator to the actual baseboard
I am not sure if this could cause warping to the wood
What type of radiator?
Had a look in the photos and could not see one

7cm clearance should be more than enough for most type of radiators
If in doubt, put a layer of tin foil, a gap, and another layer of tin foil

Its one of the oldish types made from two sheets of pressed steel. Its not in the photos as I hadn't started building the southern section of the layout when the were taken. I've also had a camera failure, and only just worked out how to transfer photos to my lap-top, but its now quite easy now I've worked it out. Hopefully I will put some photos on the forum at the weekend, including the board which is going to be removed and modified, to make it a bit clearer what I am up to. I guess its better to tweak things a this stage than be dissatisfied at a later stage!

I guess some of the reflective/insulating material you put behind radiators might do the trick.

Thanks for everyone who has put forward suggestions,
Paul

Offline Mr PJ

• Awards
Blair Atholl, 1980-1986
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2015, 10:21:35 pm »
Good evening,

Just a couple of photos to show progress over the last couple of months. I have also behind the scenes wired enough double-pole change over switches (eight) to operate the nine points on the scenic section of layout. I am some way off starting the second set of storage sidings/reversing loops!

You have probably not seen the engineers yard in previous photos. They are not wired up yet, but I have made a start on painting the sides of the rails, and also some of the track on other parts of the layout using acrylics.

Engineers Sidings
Engineers Sidings

Here is the board that will be modified shortly, the Tilt Bridge which you can see in its most elementary form, will be removed and moved further round to the right above a radiator (final picture), giving another 3 foot section.
In real life the set of points (hidden by the Stanley knife) are quite a way from the bridge, rather than right next to them as per my original plan - so hopefully this smallish extension will be an improvement. There will be no need for a very tight curve to join up with the new section, as where the Tilt Bridge is located - on a straight section - can carry on round with a 70cm radius curve (after a bit of checking following my last post, where I stated 75cm radius...).

Tilt Bridge
Tilt Bridge
PTDC0048
PTDC0048

So, I still have a few ongoing jobs in the next few weeks, firstly modify the baseboard on the far right, then fit tortoise point motors to all the points in the engineer's sidings, and make the signal panel for Blair Atholl station itself.

Cheers,
Paul

Offline Mr PJ

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2015, 08:45:16 pm »
Good evening all,

I've managed to complete the final scenic section for Blair Atholl - in between tiling/painting the kitchen. I have tapered the board a little so that access can be gained in and out of the room!

The final storage/reversing loops need to be constructed now. Where the door is I am thinking of putting in a lifting section, but due to lack of room will need to include a few turnouts. I don't know if anyone else has done something like this, and whether it could cause major problems, but I am hoping with careful design and precise construction it should work okay.

You can see where the River Tilt Bridge is being constructed in this first photograph:

PTDC0067
PTDC0067
PTDC0069
PTDC0069

You should be able to see a piece of set-track at the very front of that last picture - this will be hidden out of view by a back-scene - the concrete sleepered track disappearing beneath a road over-bridge. This piece of set-track will connect to the storage loops and is immediately in front of the bedroom door. Hence its important that there is a lifting section built in - to avoid ducking down every time people need to enter the room!

I am quite pleased with this final section, it gives me a 20 foot scenic running section - just over half a scale mile - albeit that the layout is now a giant "U" shape. Perhaps a swivel chair might be useful for viewing the trains go past!

Thanks,
Paul

Online NeMo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2015, 08:58:43 pm »
Envious of your woodworking skills -- and the amount of space you have to work with!

What's the plan with the scenics? It looks like the track is on the plywood surface. Have you given any thought to raising the track above the plywood so you can create embankments as well as cuttings?

I went to university in Aberdeen, and one thing I remember vividly was how the line snaked through the granite cuttings once you approached the granite city (if I recall correctly). It was very dramatic. Then there's that bit around Stonehaven where the line runs close to seashore and across the harbour. Your tilt bridge bit reminds me of that.

There's so much that's evocative of the Scottish railway line: steeply banked cuttings, dense stands of pine trees, windswept harbours... I could go on. It's such a beautiful country.

Cheers, NeMo

Offline Mr PJ

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2015, 10:41:23 pm »
Hi Nemo,

I have a reasonable amount of space to work with as the room was 9 x 7, however, took down an arch at the back of the room that used to form a little storage space attached to the room. It is narrow at 3 feet wide, but has helped gain a valuable 11 foot 6 run down one side of the layout.

I am trying to copy the real location as much as possible when it comes to scenery - I spent a couple of days in the area earlier in the year to get an idea of the scenery. To the south of the station the railway is quite open, particularly to the south of the Tilt bridge, with no embankments as such. There will be a nice row of tall beech trees just below the window in the photograhs, they are quite tall trees in real life (probably 80 -100 foot).

To the north of the station, the River Garry will be in the foreground, with the railway about 25 - 30 scale feet above this (about 6 or 7 cm on the model. Its an open plan construction to cater for this, which I am think of using wire mesh to bridge, covered with my favourite modelling medium - bubble wrap!

I think the beauty of N gauge is that you don't need a massive area to create an impressive scenic model. I wouldn't have been able to do much in 4mm in the same area at all.
Having said that, when trying to model a real location you begin to realise how much space railways take up. I am always thinking "I could do with an extra foot or two here or there". I have tried to make the best use of the area I have available, but compromises have still been necessary. There is an excellent "00" model of Blair Atholl (they have a good website, which has been useful to give me inspiration) - this is 32 feet in length, the sort of space that most modellers can only dream of.

Cheers
Paul

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2015, 11:19:44 pm »
Hi Paul, here's a few links to photos I took on a visit there in 2013. They may or may not be useful, but it's all additional info for yourself or any other members to use.  :thumbsup:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/MGalleryItem.php?id=8166
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/MGalleryItem.php?id=8167
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/MGalleryItem.php?id=8168
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/MGalleryItem.php?id=8169
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Mr PJ

• Awards
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2016, 10:37:41 pm »
Hello,

Its been a while since any updates - I've managed a bit of progress despite a hectic Christmas schedule and having to put new floor-boards in the kitchen, and a new laminate floor. Some of the left-over underlay from this has made a very useful insulating layer for the River Tilt section as you will see from the photos...

Most of the recent work has been more wiring, including the tortoise motors (which are luckily a lot easier than traditional solenoid motors) and signal panels.

I still have track to lay and all the associated electrics for my second (Perth end) reversing/storage loops.
Then I can start on my favourite part - the scenery!

New under construction storage/reversing loops
New under construction storage/reversing loops
PTDC0138
PTDC0138

The River Tilt section gets a ''space age'' under-layer added...
The River Tilt section gets a ''space age'' under-layer added...
Blair Atholl box panel
Blair Atholl box panel

Platforms begin to appear - undergoing clearance testing
Platforms begin to appear - undergoing clearance testing

Cheers,
Paul

Online cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2016, 11:34:18 pm »
 :hellosign: thanks for the updates   :greatpicturessign:  looking good.
regards Derek.

Online jennarivo

• Awards
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2016, 06:55:27 pm »
Looking good Paul

Offline Mr PJ

• Awards
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2016, 05:42:39 pm »
Good evening,

A quick update - I am glad to say all track laying is now completed, and I have almost finished ballasting. The backscenes are being made-up the MDF boards are already up, using flexible MDF to hide the many corners. The actual positioning of backscenes at the far end towards Dalwhinnie means that there is a small section that needs ballasting as I envisaged it would be behind the scenes - although indeed from normal operating position it is difficult to see in reality.
I am using plain sky for the backscene initially, though I hope to re-visit Blair Atholl in the summer and take some photographs so I can create a collage of the actual scenery.

I am now thinking about buildings but the next priority job is to add all the point motors (11 of them) in the South fiddle yard, and wire in my third signalling panel.
Tilt Bridge
Tilt Bridge
Class 26 and sole wagon in the PW yard
Class 26 and sole wagon in the PW yard
Platforms begin to take shape...
Platforms begin to take shape...
Perth end fiddle yard ''bridge section'' (to save crawling underneath- not getting any younger!)
Perth end fiddle yard ''bridge section'' (to save crawling underneath- not getting any younger!)
Draw bridge in raised position..
Draw bridge in raised position..
General view of ''Perth end'' fiddle yard
General view of ''Perth end'' fiddle yard
Main station building takes shape
Main station building takes shape

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2016, 06:34:59 pm »
Looking very good indeed.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
July Donations

Advertise Here