!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Blair Atholl, 1980-1986  (Read 16554 times)

Offline Mr PJ

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25884
  • 148: 1 and 1:1 classic 80's diesels...
    • Awards
Blair Atholl, 1980-1986
« on: May 17, 2015, 11:32:40 pm »
Good evening,

Finally started work on construction of the layout I have probably been talking about/dreaming about and generally pondering for the last few years! It's based on the real station on the Highland line, a line I have many happy memories of, and will cover the period 1980 to 1986.

It fits in my spare bedroom, which I've modified a little bit to make into an "L" shape layout by knocking out a small alcove which acted as a cloakroom/cupboard. This means I have one wall with an 11ft 6" space (although only just over 3ft wide in the old cupboard space), the other wall being 9ft 6" in length.

After getting all four walls and the ceiling plastered, painting them, and then getting some nice new carpet (which I need to avoid ruining by dropping PVA etc on it!) I have finally started by buying 25 yards of Code 55 flexi- track and arranging it around the room. I really want to avoid sharp curves wherever possible, so some thought is needed how I can do this and retain a nice long platform, plus have a bit of a scenic double-track section, should be great to see a train speeding down from Drummocter, passing one beginning its climb! The real Blair Atholl has an 11 coach Northbound platform, but I will make do with it being 9 coaches, bearing in mind that most stopping trains were only 6 or 7 coaches in the period modelled.

By way of motive power I will try and cover two periods:

Early 1980's - BR blue.

Classes 20, 25, 27, and 37 on freights.
Class 26s on vacuum-fitted freight and some passenger services.
Class 40's on freight and passenger (awaiting that nice new Bachmann model...)
Class 47/0 on steam heated passenger services.
Class 47/4: The Clansman and most of the overnight services.

Mid 1980's - BR blue, with a few new liveries, Intercity Scotrail, early Railfreight and large logo blue.

Most freight will be air-braked, utilising Classes 25, 27 and 37.
Class 20 and 26 will pretty much be rostered for Vac-braked engineers trains only.
Passenger - almost exclusively Class 47/0 and Class 47/4.

Many of the locomotives used in the early 1980's can probably also be utilised for the mid-1980's scenario!

Baseboards are open-frame construction. As such the layout will be a double-dogbone type layout to save shunting stock behind the scenes, so its going to be a bit of "watch the trains go by" railway, though there is a five-road PW yard, which will give some opportunity for train marshalling. I am building separate baseboards, max size about 4 x 2 in case I ever move house one day.

The first board has been put together, and the second one started. I have been testing with some coaches to make sure curves don't look too sharp. The sharp curve behind the coaches will be hidden by a road-bridge and backscene, and will lead to the "Inverness end" storage yard

SAM 1496
SAM 1496

SAM 1497
SAM 1497

You may notice in the above photo that there is a slight drop to the scenic line, compared to the fiddle roads behind. I have kept this to a 1 in 80 gradient as some trains will be 12 coaches or more. The total drop will be 2.5cm from the road-overbridge to the station. To the left there is a further lower section which will be covered in plywood to form the River Garry which the line runs close to north of Blair Atholl.

Finally you can see the second board taking shape. The intended position of the non-facing crossover can be seen here, which is actually about 10 chains north of the station, in my case it will be 6 chains away, but that's one of the compromises we sometimes have to do when modelling! The station will be situated on a diagonal to avoid trains running round a 90 degree curve, also it provides a little bit of extra space.

SAM 1498
SAM 1498

I don't know how long this model will take to build, with 25 points to wire in, its probably going to be a long-haul! The next step will be a site visit to Blair Atholl itself. I might be tempted to do a site visit to the distillery too while I'm at it  ;)

Cheers,
Paul
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 11:41:52 pm by Mr PJ, Reason: details added »

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
Re: Blair Atholl, 1980-1986
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 12:12:22 am »
Having done both of your planned intentions you state in your last paragraph in 2013, I can heartily recommend such a trip!

I'm really looking forward to watching this project develop. Blair Atholl is one of my favourite parts of the world.  :thumbsup:

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Arrachogaidh

• N Gauge Society Number: 8539
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 12:14:06 am »
Remember the private Railway Water Supply from the hillside reservoir..............

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 02:20:26 am »
Very good Paul

Your layout has similarities to mine as I'm also building along the sides of a room with a dog bone track plan. Yes, it will take a while especially as you clearly intend to have significant terrain and scenery.

One issue that you do need to keep an eye on is access to the tracks and fiddle yard in the room corners and along the back wall. You'll want to maximise your curve radius but keep your scenery depth to an acceptable limit. In my case I've managed 20" minimum radius on my main line and a 3' maximum reach. The 3' is pushing it, but the sections of track involved are straight and level and should not be prone to derailments.

Webbo

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 09:26:14 am »
Very nice work, Paul, especially your carpentry :thumbsup:

Offline LukeB

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 09:49:08 am »
I was a bit baffled when I went to Blair Athol and found that the distillery is actually in Pitlochry!

Looking forward to seeing how this unfolds.

Online Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 09:57:54 am »
A distillery is a distillery.... there is one in Hobart, Tasmania!

However, I hope this model will include the superb hotel in Blair Atoll.  :thumbsup: :beers:

Offline Vonk

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 12:49:24 pm »
This should be a nice layout and it will be nice if you manage to attempt a model of the castle, deers, pipers oh and the caravan park which is all just over the road from the station. I have good memories of camping there a few years back and visiting a fair few distilleries whilst up there.
My layout thread - Blackstone

Offline scottishlocos

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 08:48:54 pm »
Paul

Good luck with the new layout like the sound of it lots of potential looking forward to seeing it progress

Dave

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 08:51:03 pm »
Looking to be a great start.
As a collector (and drinker- hic) of Scottish Malts, I do hope you manage to include a distillery.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Online Mito

• N Gauge Society Number: 24863
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 10:22:27 pm »
Sorry, don't like malts :( but I like the layout. A lot of potential. :thumbsup:
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline paul4147

• N Gauge Society Number: 25773
  • 2mm Association Number: 5019
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2015, 12:38:26 am »
This sounds like a great project, good luck with it,  looking forward to seeing how you get on

Paul

Online Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2015, 01:23:47 am »
Paul (OP Paul):

Here's a link to some photos I took at Blair Atholl and Kingussie a couple of years ago which may be of interest to you:

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17540.msg175261#msg175261

Cheers, George.

Offline Mr PJ

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2015, 10:33:01 pm »
Hello,

Thanks for the comments, and photo's etc. I am staying in Perth, so will have to pop up to Blair Atholl by train (sadly all monotonous DMUs nowadays), and probably stop off at Pitlochry too on the way, as its also a lovely village, well more of a town really. I would stop at the Atholl Palace hotel if the lady friend was going with me, but she is away in the U.S, hence I'm able to have a few days pottering around. No doubt I will be sampling a few brews/malts on my travels.

I think getting access to the corner fiddle yard may be the biggest problem, but it will be removable for maintenance etc. As the scenic board is no more than 2 feet wide it should be accessible for derailments etc, plus the backscenes will be removable.

I don't think there are any distilleries within close proximity to the line here, though there is a golf course, which offers some modelling opportunities. Interestingly enough one of my possible locations to model oringinally was Dalwhinnie, which does have a large distillery (the products of which are quite nice too  ;)). However I plumped for Blair Atholl in the end as there is more modelling scope with the bridge and level crossing etc, and it has a large yard than Dalwhinnie, so a bit more operational scope.

Cheers,
Paul

Offline Mr PJ

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2015, 11:47:35 pm »
A couple of updates from work carried out over the bank holiday weekend.

The main job carried out was the construction of a board to form the "Inverness end" storage yard, which is in the shape of a tear-drop, so that trains can reverse with no need to shunt. There will be four loops, and a couple of sidings will be added, one primarily to store spare locomotives. The other siding will be to store a couple of sleeping cars and a couple of coaches/vans to shunt onto a "daytime" set to form the internal overnight. A similar arrangement will be needed at the Perth end, as these up and down internal used to change crews at Blair Atholl in those days.

I am currently drilling holes to fit tortoise point motors under each point. All points are electrofrog, Although I can switch polarity with these, I am wondering whether its worthwhile as its not easy to isolate the switch blades from the frogs with code 55 points, without cutting the rails. I have done some testing, and I'm not having any problems with shorts, even with the older Farish vehicles.

SAM 1499
SAM 1499

I have cheated a little bit and used set-track (3rd radius, 29.5cm) for the inner curve to save any difficulties getting the radii behind the scenes accurate.

Unfortunately I can't fit together all 3 boards constructed so far as they are on the floor due to the skirting boards. Next job will be to attach brackets to the wall and make some legs, as after a few hours of this and weeding the garden my knees are killing me.

A bit more progress with the other boards, now got all plywood track-beds in place. Sorry if quality is poor, due to the available light, but hopefully gives the general idea:

SAM 1501
SAM 1501

Cheers,
Paul

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations