!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hurst Hill & Eddingford  (Read 12871 times)

Online daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
Hurst Hill & Eddingford
« on: May 11, 2015, 02:45:12 pm »
It's taken an age but I have at last started the new layout.

Perhaps a bit of an ambitious plan after starting out with a door size layout but itíll be fun finding out how this can turn out. Using Peco flex Code 55 and Electrofrog points. Itíll be DC as the budget is now pretty restricted.

Iím starting with the smaller Ďscenicí board as this (in theory) will be easier to wire up and test. The idea is to use Celotex panels and recycled polystyrene packing materials (not the horrid beady/flaky stuff) to build the main scenic areas. Cut-outs in the far corners and lift off sections give access to any delinquent train failing to make the turns.

The large 8 foot long board, made up of 2, 4ft x 3ft boards for easier handling, will take a fair bit longer to sort. Iím thinking of WiT point control but need a load more info on that before I start.

The bare board is in place and firmly supported by two Ikea wooden trestles so nothing to show but maybe Iíll risk a photo or two when things get going.

Dave G

Online port perran

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Hurst Hill & Eddingford
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 04:43:01 pm »
Looks a good plan and definitely a sensible idea to start with the smaller board.
I would consider putting a temporary curve at the top end of that smaller board so that you can run trains around until you get on to building the 2nd (larger) board. Always good to be able to run trains as it gives a sense of achievement. You can always use the excuse that you need to play with  test the track.  :)
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 09:14:46 pm »
I would consider putting a temporary curve at the top end of that smaller board so that you can run trains around until you get on to building the 2nd (larger) board.

Aaaaargh! :no:
That could be fatal as once there are trains running everything else grinds to a halt (I am most guilty of this :-[)
Being serious, though, it's good to see your layout feature in the 'Construction' board, Dave, and I wish you all success with it now you're settled in. Don't forget the pics, though!

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 01:31:15 am »
Yep, don't forget the piccies! Can't wait to see a BP fanging around those bends!!  :beers:

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline T-TRAK_Andrew

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 08:41:44 am »
G'day Dave G. I have a close look at your track plan and suggest slight modification that will give you a lot better operation. I have put your plan image through microsoft Paint and marked in the modification there.
Too Auz mod
Too Auz mod
if you transfer the two point that are now covered by the red line to the position shown by the black line you will be able to have trains continually circling the layout on the inner mainline without interferring with any operations that are happening in the yard. This is a lesson oftent learnt well after teh track is layed and ballasted. I think the orignal arrangement used a left and a right hand point, the new arrangement should need the same hands, no doubt your track planning software will let you know.
Regards, Andrew G.
Always learning, from both wins and losses.
My Model Railway blog: http://ttrakandrew.wordpress.com/
My FlickR Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/85896932@N07/

Online daveg

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 08:56:37 am »
Thanks Andrew

Always good to get comments and ideas!

The idea behind the plan was indeed to have traffic running on both of the main lines plus the option to do some shunting or using the branch line at the same time.

I'll take a look at your suggested tweak and report back once I actually get to work on the main board. BTW, I use AnyRail software.

Cheers  :beers:

Dave G

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 09:07:40 am »

Iím starting with the smaller Ďscenicí board as this (in theory) will be easier to wire up and test. The idea is to use Celotex panels and recycled polystyrene packing materials (not the horrid beady/flaky stuff) to build the main scenic areas. Cut-outs in the far corners and lift off sections give access to any delinquent train failing to make the turns.

Dave

The horrible beady packing stuff works just fine if you use a hot wire foam cutter. I use a Woodlands Scenics foam cutter that produces nice even cuts through foam of all different compositions without mess. I've a fair amount of packing material in my scenery.

Webbo

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 01:29:41 pm »
Just a thought, any freight to or from the branch line must terminate in the bay platform, and you would need to run an auto train or dmu to avoid using a second loco for each branch round trip, so instead of a bay why not extend onto the freight loop and at the same time provide a run round for the branch trains?

Regards,

Alex

Online daveg

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2015, 02:39:20 pm »
Hi Alex

Thanks for the comments.

One of the versions of the plan does in fact continue the the track past the the bay platform. Having autocoaches, railcars and DMUs my idea was that these could be used for the branch.

You never know though, perhaps the extra track will be added as the build of that board goes forward.

Dave G

Offline georgehgv

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Geominster Mainline & Heritage Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 07:48:01 am »
That looks a great plan. Would be good to see this progress Dave please post pics when you can.
Geominster was my first project which has now been dismantled.

Having learnt so much from Geominster this is the new project.

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=30850.0

The original layout progress here
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18319.msg184399#msg184399

Visit my new website here
http://georgehgv.wix.com/geominster

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2015, 08:07:20 am »
I'd still like some hidden track, somewhere, Dave. Maybe a tunnel bottom right?

Sorry  :-[

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline T-TRAK_Andrew

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2015, 08:10:03 am »
How about hiding some track in a comparatively shallow cutting but with a dirty great big removable forest on both sides of the cutting?
Andrew G.
Always learning, from both wins and losses.
My Model Railway blog: http://ttrakandrew.wordpress.com/
My FlickR Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/85896932@N07/

Online daveg

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2015, 09:00:45 am »

Dave

The horrible beady packing stuff works just fine if you use a hot wire foam cutter. I use a Woodlands Scenics foam cutter that produces nice even cuts through foam of all different compositions without mess. I've a fair amount of packing material in my scenery.

Webbo

You made me spend more cash, Webbo!  :doh:

Took delivery of my foam cutter yesterday.  :)

Rotten weather forecast for today suggests there may be a chance later on to work on the layout and practice with that cutter.

Dave G

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2015, 09:14:13 am »
Sorry Dave

But the foam cutter will make your life a LOT easier as you will soon find out. The decreased frustration in cutting the foam will extend your life and that has to be worth something.

Webbo

Online daveg

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2015, 09:15:13 am »
Hi George & Andrew

Probably not visible on the small plan but there will be two tunnels on the smaller scenic board, top and bottom right. The track shown as a dotted line.

I'm planning to have the branch line inclining slightly below the level of the main lines. The idea is that the branch line will be used by Railcars, DMUs an autocoach and a 2 or 3 wagon freight train so to too much of a challenge (I hope).

Photos once there's something to show!

Thanks for all the interest and advice.

Dave G

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here