!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Continental model manufacturers - how do they stack up?  (Read 4986 times)

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Continental model manufacturers - how do they stack up?
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2017, 01:24:00 am »

1. Are Marklin locos that are between 15 and 18 years old, said to be almost 'as new', likely to be in good mechanical order? (Assuming the honesty of the seller, for arguments sake.) I have no idea for instance how the passage of time would effect motors, bearings and such.

This should be no different to any other model railway purchase, ie they should ordinarily be perfectly good, and that is the case 98% of the time, but there is no guarantee that a particular model will be working  properly.

I have had two Minitrix purchases let me down in the past year. A Minitrix DR 155 from a UK s/h retailer simply doesn't budge (and my club mate who is good at diagnosis can't identify the problem), and a Minitrix SNCF BB15000 from a French s/h retailer at the Trainsmania swapmeet which runs but won't get up over a certain (slow) speed.
Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

Online daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: 26722
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2017, 09:50:48 am »
Thanks all for the excellent details about Minitrix locos. I shall ensure I use the right name in future.

Thanks particularly to Marco for the detailed information on loco lighting protocols :thumbsup:. All copied and pasted to a data file on my iPad.  I understood it all perfectly, except for the the last bit: what is a "rotatable end convoy"? :hmmm: (I could take a guess, but could end up with egg on my face! ;) )

Looks like I may go ahead with a purchase or two if the guy still has them when I get the funds sorted. Of course, as you say Gordon, every buy is a risk so I shall see what can be done about pre-sale testing and a returns policy (if he has one) before I commit.

------------------------------------------

So, having learnt also that Kato produced a whole host of Re460/465 models with various liveries/identities over a long period from about 1993 onwards (the spur-n-Datenbank lists over 60), I would be interested in views upon these too.

Sorry for all the questions, but I have a thirst to learn whatever I can from the superb knowledge base the members here represent.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2017, 10:05:24 am »

I have had two Minitrix purchases let me down in the past year. A Minitrix DR 155 from a UK s/h retailer simply doesn't budge (and my club mate who is good at diagnosis can't identify the problem), and a Minitrix SNCF BB15000 from a French s/h retailer at the Trainsmania swapmeet which runs but won't get up over a certain (slow) speed.

If I remember correctly a Mx 155 that has visited my layout from time to time has misbehaved on occasion, something to do with the bogie mounting design and pickup transfer:  it's not the time-honoured pin-through-pivot and wiper-contacts which has worked just fine for decades, but fiddly clips either side.

Could be the motor on your Mx BB15000 has lost magnetism?
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline marco neri

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2017, 12:17:20 pm »
Thanks all for the excellent details about Minitrix locos. I shall ensure I use the right name in future.

Thanks particularly to Marco for the detailed information on loco lighting protocols :thumbsup:. All copied and pasted to a data file on my iPad.  I understood it all perfectly, except for the the last bit: what is a "rotatable end convoy"? :hmmm: (I could take a guess, but could end up with egg on my face! ;) )

Looks like I may go ahead with a purchase or two if the guy still has them when I get the funds sorted. Of course, as you say Gordon, every buy is a risk so I shall see what can be done about pre-sale testing and a returns policy (if he has one) before I commit.

------------------------------------------

So, having learnt also that Kato produced a whole host of Re460/465 models with various liveries/identities over a long period from about 1993 onwards (the spur-n-Datenbank lists over 60), I would be interested in views upon these too.

Sorry for all the questions, but I have a thirst to learn whatever I can from the superb knowledge base the members here represent.

Hi ,
rotable meaning as carriage/wagon....freight or passenger last in line

Marco
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 12:18:32 pm by marco neri »
...never turn you back on the ripper (judas priest)

Offline swisstrains

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2017, 07:04:55 pm »
Over the last 20+ years I have collected 13 Kato Re460/465's (14 if you include my Kowloon-Canton Railway example  ::) ) and all are still running as smoothly and quietly as the day I bought them.
Apart from the track/overhead changeover switch coming loose on one loco the only attention they have required is occasional wheel cleaning.
As I said in my previous post the body shape isn't perfect but the fact that it sits closer to the track than the Minitrix version better represents that characteristic look of the prototype. I am not sure but the wheels could also be smaller on the Kato version which probably helps as well.
The pantographs are oversize like the Minitrix version but they are capable of collecting current from the overhead unlike the scale pantographs fitted to the much newer Fleischmann version.
As it is an old model the Kato Re460/465 doesn't have close-couplings and unless it has been changed on newer versions I don't think the Minitrix version has either.
The newer versions of the Kato loco have LED lights and personally I think they are too "yellow". A "whiter" light would look much better in my opinion.
Despite these shortcomings the Kato version is still my favourite and that includes the Fleischmann offering which I still don't think can equal the running qualities of the Kato loco despite its more modern design.
John

Online daffy

• Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2017, 07:26:52 pm »
Many thanks John. :thumbsup: An impressive collection. At present, being a newcomer to all this, I only have three 460's, all of them Fleischmann, so I am interested in spending loads of money obtaining (sounds better when the good lady is in earshot  ;) ) examples from other manufacturers.

I found this list of the Kato models:

http://www.spur-n-datenbank.de/cbliste_1.php?kat=KAT013

Can you tell me if the 'from' and 'to' dates on the list refer to Kato issue/availability dates, as I suspect they do. :hmmm:

Certainly plenty to choose from! All I have to do is find a good one - or two  ::) -at a good low price.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline swisstrains

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2017, 08:59:49 pm »
Many thanks John. :thumbsup: An impressive collection. At present, being a newcomer to all this, I only have three 460's, all of them Fleischmann, so I am interested in spending loads of money obtaining (sounds better when the good lady is in earshot  ;) ) examples from other manufacturers.

I found this list of the Kato models:

http://www.spur-n-datenbank.de/cbliste_1.php?kat=KAT013

Can you tell me if the 'from' and 'to' dates on the list refer to Kato issue/availability dates, as I suspect they do. :hmmm:

Certainly plenty to choose from! All I have to do is find a good one - or two  ::) -at a good low price.

Yes it certainly looks like that is the case.
John

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2017, 12:20:18 am »
If I remember correctly a Mx 155 that has visited my layout from time to time has misbehaved on occasion, something to do with the bogie mounting design and pickup transfer:  it's not the time-honoured pin-through-pivot and wiper-contacts which has worked just fine for decades, but fiddly clips either side.

Ironic, given that my mate stated - "its a weird design, not usual at all"...

European railway expert

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2017, 12:28:52 am »

Yes, von and bis means issue dates

N Scale CH has loads of Kato 460s

European railway expert

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2017, 12:31:52 am »

Despite these shortcomings the Kato version is still my favourite and that includes the Fleischmann offering which I still don't think can equal the running qualities of the Kato loco despite its more modern design.

I have got Kato Minitrix and Fleischmann 460/465s. Personally I think they are all perfectly acceptable - they all look like Lok 2000s especially from 'exhibition viewing distance'

European railway expert

Offline swisstrains

• Awards
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2017, 08:44:05 am »

I have got Kato Minitrix and Fleischmann 460/465s. Personally I think they are all perfectly acceptable - they all look like Lok 2000s especially from 'exhibition viewing distance'

I couldn't agree more about their appearance (even in the home environment) but how do you rate their respective running qualities?
John

Online daffy

• Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2017, 09:14:27 am »

N Scale CH has loads of Kato 460s

I can find a few on various .ch websites, like roundhouse (high prices) but can't find a sales website with the name you mention. Do you have a link please?
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline swisstrains

• Awards
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2017, 09:56:54 am »
Hi Mike,
"N Scale CH" is a small UK business run by a chap called John Brightwell. He does mail-order and attends various exhibitions such as TINGS.
His website URL was www.nscalech.com but doesn't appear to have worked for several years now.
I will try and find some contact details for him.
John

Online daffy

• Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2017, 10:01:33 am »
Thanks John. :thumbsup:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline swisstrains

• Awards
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2017, 10:12:41 am »
I can't find any stocklists for N Scale CH but John Brightwell's home address is listed as:
16 Holmesdale Road
Sevenoaks
Kent
TN13 3XL
United Kingdom

Incidentally have you looked at www.contikits.com? They carry a good selection of Swiss models.
John

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here