!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Off on a journey. The departure.  (Read 26177 times)

Offline The Q

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Off on a journey. The departure.
« Reply #345 on: June 14, 2017, 09:59:14 am »
I hope your wife gets better soon.

We too have a rat problem, every year they harvest the field surrounding our garden we get invaded by them. We first knew of the problem, when they eat through the floor of the first shed before I'd even got the roof on. We have a big bucket of rat poison kept in the shed, on one occasion they ate their way through the floor and then ate their way into the bucket of poison!!

The total deaths inside the shed are now 5 plus probably more beneath it.
 I have now breeze blocked / concreted the entire surround of the shed at ground /below ground level.

We have a mobile home in the garden they climbed their way up the bath waste pipe, ate there way through the fibreglass insualtion, through the 1 inch floor, under the bath then put through a fibreglass bath panel! I'm currently working on walling that in too...

Offline Mito

• N Gauge Society Number: 24863
    • Awards
« Reply #346 on: July 12, 2017, 03:57:48 pm »
The mojo is returning, as is the time to do more as my wife improves.
Iíve got Durscombe sidings laid out at least temporally to see how it looks. Paper planning is not my forte. The line behind is ďDurscombe High LevelĒ the line to Bath. Completing this I now have a round the room layout with the branch to Bath. Whether itís typical Somerset I donít know. Durscombe Sidings is really a fiddle yard or an area to display the stock I have. The high level part has a small transverser with a turntable to turn locos.

Durscombe Station is hidden behind the backscene with station buildings above the track to hide the exit. The two sidings with coaches will be extnded slightly to take 5 coaches without fouling the points.

The goods shed is a Kestralv one with skylights fitted. As placed there it's more of a transfer shed. I think I'll make a vehicle entrance at one end. It wasn't designed to fit there, purely coincidence.
I downloaded from Wordsworth site a large brick hut. The problem was that all the walls were separate and joined by corner overlays.  I have Gimp which accepts PDFs so I manipulated the images to join the four walls together. I cut the back wall in half and pasted it to the end walls. The join at the back is not good but it wont be seen. I might make another that can be viewed from the back for Withy Jct.

It needs a chimney adding and the watercolour pencils I used haven't covered the white of the paper. New time I'll use wax crayons. It will stop the ink running too. The paper is 220gm glazed which I find easy to work with and easy to cut.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+53)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #347 on: July 12, 2017, 04:53:09 pm »
Good to hear your wife is on the mend.
The track layout looks very interesting. Do you have an overall plan please?

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #348 on: July 12, 2017, 05:18:59 pm »
Many thanks for this update, Brian, with plenty of very good news. It's good to see substantial progress being made, once more.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #349 on: July 12, 2017, 07:40:46 pm »
 :thankyousign: Good news on all fronts.

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #350 on: July 12, 2017, 09:32:19 pm »

The track layout looks very interesting. Do you have an overall plan please?

No track plan yet but in the fullness of time one will appear. I need one to remember what is what.
The design was based on what I had. Some of those points must be 40 some years old.
The next job is to tweak it slightly and glue all the cork down then start wiring, though this will be very simple using the points to isolate the sidings. I don't envisage using 2 locos at the same time but will isolate one siding through a switch so the yard shunter can rest safely.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #351 on: July 13, 2017, 06:51:01 am »
Good to hear that your wife is on the mend Brian
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #352 on: July 13, 2017, 06:58:35 am »
Good news, and the layout is looking really good. I even spied a Poole Farish gronk in one of the photos. One of my favourite models, even with no outside frames.

At least it clears the platforms!

Looking forward to updates.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Steamie+

• N Gauge Society Number: 26963
  • N Gauge is part of my life. :)
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #353 on: July 13, 2017, 10:40:28 am »
Great news Brian on all fronts, great to hear.    :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
:toot: :A1Tornado: :Carriage: :Carriage:

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #354 on: July 13, 2017, 10:41:21 am »
 :hellosign: So glad to hear your good news & thanks for  :greatpicturessign: updates
     regards Derek.

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #355 on: July 13, 2017, 05:08:41 pm »
Good news, and the layout is looking really good. I even spied a Poole Farish gronk in one of the photos. One of my favourite models, even with no outside frames.

At least it clears the platforms!

Looking forward to updates.  :thumbsup:

I have two gronks, the other blue. It needs a bit of TLC. Like me I suppose. :-[

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #356 on: July 14, 2017, 09:16:37 pm »

By popular request,? this is the plan of Durscombe. Dimension wise it's not accurate but the layout is. All the points are large radius. The sidings are electrically isolated at the red dot so I can have a train going round and do some shunting at the same time. That is when I get a second controller.
The industries will be decided upon later, not sure where to put Sam's Cider or what size to build it. The industry at the right hand end I want as a scenic block to hide the country scene and a canal.
The tranverser is cobbled together and has a turntable at the end where locos can be turned. The four tracks all connect to the turntable. When that area is a bit tidier I'll post a photo of it.

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #357 on: August 04, 2017, 11:00:22 pm »

A very belated Christmas cum birthday present. Bought from Dalpol's August specials. It's not been run yet so fingers crossed that all will be OK.

Arriving from Cant Cove with a rake of four new pallet vans with a mix of Sam's cider and Headland Brewery stock.

A close up of the pallet vans.

The yard shunter sorting the wagons.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #358 on: August 05, 2017, 05:43:25 am »
Thanks for the excellent photos., Brian. The GWR livery "Manor" is a very nice addition. I hope it will run smoothly after running in. I'm glad to see that the pair of extra-LWB Insulated and Pallet Vans for the "Creech Brewery" arrived safely. There will be a pair of extra-LWB Pallet vans for "Sam's Cider" later to complete the selection. I hope you'll be sble to continue the work at Durscombe when the weather is cooler. We are having a hestwave, too.

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #359 on: August 05, 2017, 07:28:06 am »
 :greatpicturessign:

I have two Manors from Ixion. They look lovely and both run very well.

Think that Dapol bought the tooling from Ixion so with a bit of luck, the Dapol version will be just as good.

Dave G

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £70.00
Above Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
127% 
September Donations

Advertise Here