!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Askham Battersby MKII - NE / Midland Modular Layout  (Read 7444 times)

Online RichardBattersby

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22678
  • 2mm Association Number: 5151
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Awards
Re: Askham Battersby MKII - NE/Midland Modular Layout
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2017, 01:08:59 pm »
Iíve spent all day re-uploading all the photos used in this thread onto my personal website so I can link back into this thread. With that completed, itís onto another long overdue update.

Iíve installed three DCC Specialities PSX digital circuit breakers which control the three regions of the layout. I decided to split the layout into Ďeastí and Ďwestí mainline regions plus the goods yard and shed areas as the third region. This makes sense to me in terms of operation and ease of wiring. However, since installation Iíve realised that Iíll need to fit a fourth PSX exclusively for the point motors / accessory bus so the entire layout doesnít trip if I run a train into a point thatís set incorrectly. This is the by far the biggest cause of a short on my layout. I produced a simplistic diagram to record my wiring within Anyrail as a layer over the track plan.

Some alterations to the circuit boards of the breakers needed to be made before I could use them. Connector J6 needs a jumper adding terminals 1 + 2 (black wire on right hand side in the image below) to reduce the trip threshold down to 1.27 amps. My NCE unit would still trip before the PSX-3 if I hadnít have done this!

To prevent the PSX trying to auto-reset every 2 seconds, Iíve added a reset switch to terminals 1 + 2 of connector J7 (white and green wires above). The picture below shows the reset switches and also LEDs which Iíve added to indicate that a short has occurred. The LEDs are connected to terminals 1 + 2 of connector J5 (white and blue wires above).

Thanks especially go to @lil chris for passing on his knowledge in this area. Here are some photos of it in situ:

Iíve also updated the track plan as the layout has evolved over time.

-   The headshunt on the lower right hand side has been moved down so as not to cross two baseboards.
-   The cattle dock has been moved into the goods yard as I've discovered that they were not generally placed where they shared a passenger platform for hygiene reasons. It also makes a lot of sense with regards to shunting and train movements.
-   The brewery and coal staithes have been swapped around and the staithes have been swapped for coal drops which more typical of the NE region I'm loosely depicting. I also thought the added height would bring some interest. I'm excited to model this as it will represent my first attempt at a scratch built structure. You'll also notice that whilst I wanted to keep the trackwork relatively simple, I've simplified things a little with the use of a three-way point and double slip on the entry into goods yard. More on this later.
-   After measuring the fiddle yard and the trains I plan the run, the platforms have been shortened and moved.
-   The bay platform has been altered so that I can try and operate it something like prototype. It was very difficult to research exactly what the procedure was with regards to changing locos, suburban movements etc. in bay platforms so this is what I've settled with. A fresh steam loco will be waiting in the siding, it will remove the coaches into the siding to release the first loco which will head back to the sheds for refuelling, the shunting loco will then take charge of the passenger stock.
-   Finally, I've swapped the ratio coaling stage for a more prototypical Farish coaling tower, given the size of the shed.

Thank you for reading.
Richard
Askham Battersby MKII - NE/Midland Modular Layout

"We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing."

Online RichardBattersby

• Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Awards
Re: Askham Battersby MKII - NE / Midland Modular Layout
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2017, 12:26:29 pm »
Quick update this afternoon. I bought another PSX circuit breaker and installed it last night. This morning, I've added the LED, to identify a short circuit, and a reset button thereby adding number 4 to the above picture.

Below is the new 'circuit diagram'.

I've recently been dabbling with British Finescale Finetrax too and am so impressed that I'll be finishing the rest of the layout in it! I know this is probably going to be relatively offensive to some, potentially including myself, as I'll have both code 55 and 40 in the same scenic area. Rule 1 at it's finest. Has anyone else done this?
Richard

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2017, 05:41:45 pm »
Coming along nicely.  Love the buffers!

Online RichardBattersby

• Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2017, 07:18:27 pm »
Thanks Tank!
Richard

Online RichardBattersby

• Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2017, 10:46:27 pm »
Two updates in a day! What's going on?!

Iíve wanted to write my first scenic update for a while but havenít found the time to collect my thoughts. My foray into the scenic area (that wasnít laying track) was the building and painting of the platforms. I wanted to get this done before I ballasted. I was also considering writing an article for NGS about this? Anyway, Iím thrilled to say I have the island platform in place, although unfinished. Hereís a brief account of how I achieved it.

I wanted a platform with substance and fancied making it out of wood, as the base and using some sort of covering that wasnít card on top. I managed to find some 3mm ply, cut it into lengths and then glued it together and left it to cure. I used three pieces sandwiched together which would roughly give me the right platform height once they had been iced.

Once set, I used them as a template to cut out the foam that I stuck to the boards with Copydex.

I then used Peco platform edging, with the bottom ridge cut off to line each side and stuck down with PVA. I used a bit of platicard on the ramps for support. For the platform surface, I wanted something that I could trowel on that had a little bit of surface texture and after some research opted for DAS clay.

It went on relatively easily although did need some coaxing with a wet spatula to get it smooth in places, but smooth it did become. Itís a funny substance and I donít think itís clay at all, it seems more like a pulverised paper, but Iím not entirely sure. However, once dry, you can see that whilst mostly flat, it wasnít as smooth as I would have liked, so I sanded it smooth.

I was pleased with it at this stage but did have a few holes to fill in. I then sprayed the lot in Games Workshop Citadel Corax White. This covered well and is very fine, leaving the detail of the platform edging intact.

Iím not sure if you can see from the pics above but the primer blew up some fibres of the clay which then set making some parts of the platform very finely spikey. This was easily and quickly sanded away, however. Everything was now ready for painting and, again, I thought better to do this before ballasting. I used one piece of edging as a test to try out techniques of painting as this is a new skill Iím having to learn. I also did a lot of research looking for pictures of stone-built platforms for inspiration. I ended up buying several Citadel paints as I wanted to try acrylics, as they seem popular these days, even though I have a large selection of Humbrol enamels. I very much enjoyed using them, easier then enamel and more pleasant due to the lack of fumes and need for spirit. I used various colours to build up something, hopefully, approaching prototype. These are the steps I took:

1.   Primed with Corax White.
2.   The stone block on the vertical face were painted Tallarn Sand (Layer).
3.   Engineering bricks under above the stone were given a coat of Mechanicus Standard Grey (Base).
4.   Coping stones were then painted Karak Stone (Layer).
5.   I then, with a Dawnstone (Layer) wash, went over the coping stones to tone them down and make them a little greyer.
6.   A second coat of Dawnstone wash was used to pick some individual stones out and give some contrast both on the coping stones and vetical face.
7.   More stones picked out with Steel Legion Drab (Base).
8.   Then I dry brushed some areas with Terminatus Stone (Dry) to produce some lighter patches.
9.   After mixing Tallarn Sand and Abaddon Black (Base), I used this as a more general dry brush effective to give an element of grime but also picking out some especially dark stones.
10.   Longbeard Grey (Dry) was used to paint the white line, leaving the ramps without, and then watered down a little to pick out some salt deposits on the stone.
11.   Once all of this had dried fully, I washed over with Nuln Oil (Shade), to tone it all down and make it look even dirtier. On my test piece I only did this on half the piece of edging so as to illustrate the effect and decide if I didnít like it. On the actual platform I did I second pass of this around where the steam locos were sit at the ends of the platforms.
12.   Finally, the platform surface was painted with Administratum Grey.

It took a while and I dare say many could do much better but I was happy enough with this first attempt. I had to record what Iíd done like this so that I could replicate it for the actual platforms! The dodgy picture of me holding it up against my computer screen, not helped by the differing light, is trying to illustrate that I was attempting to achieve something like the platform at Grosmont, NYMR, although pictures of Sheffield were also used. I read in a recent edition of the NGS Journal about paint brushes and their differing quality. Whilst expensive, I invested in the Citadel brushes and I was glad I did.

Finally, after painting the island platform in the same way, I drilled and countersunk some holes and screwed the platform down so I knew it was secure and level. Iíll fill and paint the holes after. Itís difficult to see the effect of the paint with the shadowy photos Iíve taken but I think itís passable. Itís all a learning curve anyway.  :worried:

Hopefully, there arenít too pictures in this post, Iím just trying to illustrate the various steps I took They might help someone someday.
Richard

Offline jrb

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Aire Valley Railway Modellers' Club
    • Awards
Re: Askham Battersby MKII - Modular Loft Layout
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2017, 11:40:34 pm »

Don't forget, being a metal buffer stop (and soldered together) that you'll need to cut one of the tracks just in front of it, otherwise it'll short out. It may seem an obvious point, but you wouldn't be the first to forget...  :-[
I'm supporting Revolution Trains' Class 'B' project:

Offline keithbythe sea

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2017, 07:34:47 am »
Thank you Richard for the comprehensive description and excellent results.

Online RichardBattersby

• Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Awards
Re: Askham Battersby MKII - Modular Loft Layout
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2017, 08:00:54 am »

Don't forget, being a metal buffer stop (and soldered together) that you'll need to cut one of the tracks just in front of it, otherwise it'll short out. It may seem an obvious point, but you wouldn't be the first to forget...  :-[

You can't see it well from the pictures but I've actually soldered a sleeper PCB to the frame and put the 'timber' on from of it with glue which seems to work rather well. I should have included that in the blurb. Thanks for checking though.  :thumbsup:
Richard

Offline Biggy

• N Gauge Society Number: 25735
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2017, 10:26:21 am »
Just found this topic. Very impressed with your layout and envious of the space you have.
Very informative details too. I have learned a lot that I will use for my next layout.
Not sure its supposed to do that

Online Mito

• N Gauge Society Number: 24863
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2017, 09:33:52 pm »
Excellent set of photos and gives me food for thought. It may take time but the result is well worth it. :thumbsup:
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Online RichardBattersby

• Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2017, 09:43:48 pm »
Just found this topic. Very impressed with your layout and envious of the space you have.
Very informative details too. I have learned a lot that I will use for my next layout.

Thanks very much. Excellent, that's exactly what I want - to share what I've learned so others can benefit. So many others have helped me, if all I help is one person then mission accomplished.  :NGaugersRule:
Richard

Online RichardBattersby

• Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2017, 08:22:13 am »
In between track laying and wiring Iíve been building these military PG Models in anticipation of the NGS warflat and warwells coming back in stock. Theyíre nice little models and will look good on the back of the wagons. Iíve primed them in Corax White and they await painting.

Iíve also built some more 2mm Association buffer stops, this time LMS/BR examples which are a bit easier to solder together, being more simple in design. Thereís something especially satisfying about their etched buffer stops, partly I think, because theyíre so solid once made. Unlike the previous examples, I havenít used the PCB method of insulating them so these will be cut off the length of track and laid in electrical isolation.

As mentioned in a recent post, Iíve altered the layout of my industries so that I can include some coal drops. This meant cracking open my brewery for a bit of a mock up to check that everything fits, as Iíve changed the layout of the buildings too, so that the vans / hoppers go Ďintoí the brewery. The buildings will need to be raised so that the vans have clearance Ė you can see Iíve sat the buildings on extra foam to accommodate this. Out of interest, these are the new Farish Ale Vans (converted cattle vans) and lovely little models.

As a result of changing the layout a little, and rationalising the point work, Iíve included an extra three-way point. I was a little uncertain about using three way points as they look a little clunky and I was concerned about smooth running but I was mainly worried about the installation. I have to say though, again with some help from @lil chris (thank you) and THIS thread, the wiring and laying of the 3-way asymmetric turnout was a doddle and works well with the Cobalts underneath. Everything you need to know is in that thread, just make sure you read both pages, however, since I laid it there has been a fiasco with Photobucket and now some of the extremely useful pictures are gone. Perhaps @lil chris and @ptopo would be able to update their links as I found it a very useful resource. Here are my pics anyway, just without the coloured lines of their pics.

Please ignore the DeWalt and single malt in that last pic. No drilling was done whilst under the influence of Ďapple juiceí. Youíll also notice from that last pic that Iíve tried something new (again!) for the baseboard joint. Itís a single piece of milled PCB which I then soldered the rail to. It worked really well and was quicker than the single sleepers so I would use it again on straight track. Contrast that to the sweeping curve of the right-hand side where I had to solder 20+ sleepers, which took a while but wasnít too bad. I soldered those sleepers in batches, removing chunks of plastic sleepers as I went to try and preserve the gauge. I used a pair of digital callipers to check the gap between the rails remained true. I did this only because it was such a long stretch and I could have ended up with significant differences between the rails.

I need to get some more pictures of the layout as a whole because Iíve managed to crack on with track laying and now the mainlines are fully laid itís onto the goods yard! As my confidence has grown Iíve changed and improved as time has passed. An example of this is the coal drops. I want to scratch build this (I've never scratch built anything, ever), indeed Iíd have to anyway as there isnít anything RTP, and I was concerned about the aesthetics of code 55 with so many sleepers removed. So I looked at FiNetrax from British Finescale. This system was floated, so to speak, on NGF and subsequently came into production and the thread is still active so do go and have a read through Ė HERE Ė marvel at those points! It uses Finescale code 40 rail but to N Gauge standards. The only caveat is that it is all in kit form and only newer stock, with the finer wheel profiles, will be OK to run on it. Anyway, I decided to buy a length and have a go, with the view to using it as the rail for the coal drops because it looks so good, but also because it's more flexible in the vertical plane. Unfortunately, I rather liked the look of it and after some discussion with a few people, have decided to finish the layout in code 40! As mentioned briefly already, Iíll be using codes 40 and 55 next to each other which may prove irksome, but I want to give it a go. @Wayne Kinney, from British Finescale, has been incredibly helpful and would recommend FiNetrax whole-heartedly.

An example of just how fine the rail is!

This is the kit for a straight piece of flex. I bought the additional but highly recommended jig too.

Here it is in action. You place the sleepers in the jig and then feed the rail through. I was a little dense when doing this and it took a while to work out the best way of getting a full length of track. The best way I could find was place a couple of sprues of sleepers on, then when ready for the next lot, feed the entire affair onto the jig carefully, advancing both rails at the same time. If anyone has any better ideas, please do let me know.

The result is amazing:

I will post more about FiNetrax later as I have recently bought some turnout kits to finish the yard with Ė watch this space.
Richard

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here